boot sealant & stiffener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boot sealant & stiffener?

Curious what is the best sealant to use for not only waterproofing leather boots, but also helps stiffen them up a bit, and what is the best way to apply it?
    I have used Sno-seal, which seems to work well for water proofing, but it doesn't seem to last very long and doesn't seem to do much for stiffening up the leather.
    I have also used a spray Spar-Urethane on them occasionally which seems to help, but again it doesn't seem to last very long.
    Thoughts?

I have used Snow seal for a good many years with good luck, What I do is put my boots next to the wood stove , get them warm an put a coat on then, put them back buy the stove, I keep doing this an put about three or four coats on them.I do this about once or twice in the winter. I also do my hiking boots that way so they will be ready for spring.

Comment

I still use bees wax. Pretty much the same way Bob uses the Snow Seal (also a great product). You can use your oven with low temperature as well. The object is to fully saturate the pores of the leather.
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I dripped some pure tung oil cut with citrus solvent on my leather Vasque boots. After 2 years the spots still show up as stains... Tung oil is a natural wood sealer that is supposed to remain flexible as far as expansion and contraction are concerned with wood floors/furniture... Per haps an experiment with an old pair of work boots....maybe mixed with bees wax...
        Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
        Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

I use Limmer Boot Grease.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Be careful putting your boots too near the wood stove. The adhesive they use on new boots (without sewn welts) is sensitive to high temperature. I found out the hard way.
            Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X