View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #557
l33tHoneyBadger

Hello my name is Michael and I work as a network engineer for the New York State school system. I am 36 years old and divorced. I have a 4 year old son who enjoys hiking as well but he has a little ways to go before he starts hitting the high peaks. My grandfather and father were always outdoors people so I grew up in the woods and in camp which is several miles back in the woods. I always enjoyed this but I didn't start hiking until much later in life.

What finally got me into hiking is my weight. I am epileptic and I was denied gastric bypass and the lap band due to this so if I wanted to lose the weight I had to do it the old fashioned way. I was in a massive car accident and they had to weigh me on a different scale to get a measurement. I was 412 lbs. and I just couldn't do it anymore. So I started exercising and eating right but after a time the treadmill got boring and my body was getting used to it. Once that happens you get less and less benefits from the workout which is disheartening. So it was summer and I said hey, I might as well see something if I am going to do all this walking. So I started hitting the trails on the weekends and soon I was on them any time I could get there. Due to my weight and size I burn a lot of calories hiking. It is great to see a calorie burn of 7,000 - 10,000 at the end of a hike. It has helped me get to where I am today, almost 100 lbs lost and a heart that is in perfect condition. I hope to start hitting the high peaks soon and continue the weight loss. I'm pretty easy to spot on the trails , see you out there!
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote