Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helper working on my Camp told me he saw a mountain lion crossing 28N between Long Lake and Newcomb last week. He's lived in Wyoming and Colorado and said it was not a house-cat. Tail alone about 4 foot long.

Comment

Originally posted by cityboy View Post
      Helper working on my Camp told me he saw a mountain lion crossing 28N between Long Lake and Newcomb last week. He's lived in Wyoming and Colorado and said it was not a house-cat. Tail alone about 4 foot long.
      That would certainly be an exceptional sighting since adult mountain lion tails max out at 3 feet.

Heck, could be some new undiscovered species.

Comment

You might think this idea came from Alex Jones but have ever considered that the DEC may be secretly trying to introduce the mountain lion back into the Addacks? Oh I know they vehemently deny such foolish statements but where do you think the Eastern Coyote came from? Do you still think it migrated and morphed itself from our West? Wolves make for less road kills. Let's not leave them out. Sounds pretty far fetched doesn't it? Or does it? Federal and state governments lie to us every day. So what else is new?
        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

A possible Canadian Lynx was recently filmed just outside the park in the town of lisbon see the footage here http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Bob...398161991.html

Comment

Originally posted by randy savage View Post
            A possible Canadian Lynx was recently filmed just outside the park in the town of lisbon see the footage here http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Bob...398161991.html
            thanks for posting. i had no idea the canada lynx was as rare in NY as this article indicated. i saw one a few years ago on the mt jo trail of all places, but this article has me second guessing myself as to whether it might have been a bobcat.

as for mountain lions, i have repeatedly heard second hand of sightings or evidence in the area of the lake pleasant quarries. the only claims to sightings i have personally heard have been from the berkshires in MA.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
              You might think this idea came from Alex Jones but have ever considered that the DEC may be secretly trying to introduce the mountain lion back into the Addacks? Oh I know they vehemently deny such foolish statements but where do you think the Eastern Coyote came from? Do you still think it migrated and morphed itself from our West? Wolves make for less road kills. Let's not leave them out. Sounds pretty far fetched doesn't it? Or does it? Federal and state governments lie to us every day. So what else is new?
              Schultzzie,
              Really, why in the world would DEC want to introduce cougars to the ADK's?
              The coyote is the most adaptable of our wild canids and expanded its range to follow prey animals, simple as that.
              I seriously discount conspiracy theories.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
                Schultzzie,
                Really, why in the world would DEC want to introduce cougars to the ADK's?
                The coyote is the most adaptable of our wild canids and expanded its range to follow prey animals, simple as that.
                I seriously discount conspiracy theories.
                Jim
                Hi Jim.
                Predatory animals lessen road kill which threatens highway drivers. The wolf and cougar and buffalo were all but exterminated due to fear and greed and unsportsmanlike conduct. Parts of the ADK's could support cougar life and keep the coyote population in check. Man has caused severe imbalances in nature due to the above mentioned reasons. More and more sightings are occurring but we do not know whether these big cats are the result of migration or seeding. I wouldn't count either possibility out. A high percentage of "conspiracy theories" have been proven to be true so you can label them what you like and no one is asking you to believe. I am NOT running for office. I merely offer possible scenarios. I think the cougar sightings are a little more believable than the "bigfoot" sightings. Do our individual opinions matter? Perhaps to some but more likely only to ourselves. Where do you think Coyotes came from?
                Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Hi Jim.
                  Predatory animals lessen road kill which threatens highway drivers. The wolf and cougar and buffalo were all but exterminated due to fear and greed and unsportsmanlike conduct. Parts of the ADK's could support cougar life and keep the coyote population in check. Man has caused severe imbalances in nature due to the above mentioned reasons. More and more sightings are occurring but we do not know whether these big cats are the result of migration or seeding. I wouldn't count either possibility out. A high percentage of "conspiracy theories" have been proven to be true so you can label them what you like and no one is asking you to believe. I am NOT running for office. I merely offer possible scenarios. I think the cougar sightings are a little more believable than the "bigfoot" sightings. Do our individual opinions matter? Perhaps to some but more likely only to ourselves. Where do you think Coyotes came from?
                  Here we go again.
                  With all respect, do you actually believe that our DEC would introduce cougars to minimize road kills?
                  I'll leave the discussion about buffalo for a future date.
                  Jim

Comment

Jim, It was a rhetorical question.

Comment

• I certainly hope so.
                      jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                        You might think this idea came from Alex Jones but have ever considered that the DEC may be secretly trying to introduce the mountain lion back into the Addacks? Oh I know they vehemently deny such foolish statements but where do you think the Eastern Coyote came from? Do you still think it migrated and morphed itself from our West?
                        Secret government initiatives sound cool in theory, but are almost universally impractical, especially in the modern era. Cell phones, thumb drives, and no shortage of Edward Snowden wanna-be's make it hard to keep things like that under wraps.

I also highly doubt the DEC would intentionally bring Cougar into the park anyhow...there are a lot of surveys and field studies that would have be conducted prior to making that kind of re-introduction, plus funding for continued observation and population management...the re-introduction of wolves to the American West didn't just happen overnight. Any kind of apex predator re-introduction is going to cost money, time and political willpower...I'm not sure the DEC is up for that kind of endeavor right now.

Also, are you implying that the DEC secretly introduced coyotes to NY state? If so where is your evidence for that? There are a lot of unknown's on this topic, but the predominant theory (supported by many wildlife biologists) is that coyotes naturally migrated into the northeast from their historical range in the southwest...I've never heard of any government effort to bring them into NY, or any state for that matter.

Comment

• "Also, are you implying that the DEC secretly introduced coyotes to NY state? If so where is your evidence for that? There are a lot of unknown's on this topic, but the predominant theory (supported by many wildlife biologists) is that coyotes naturally migrated into the northeast from their historical range in the southwest...I've never heard of any government effort to bring them into NY, or any state for that matter."

Well now you have heard it! NY is not the only state involved in this conspiracy theory. The Eastern Coyote is a different critter than the Southwestern Coyote. It is possible that funding and the initiative came from private sources. Of course the States had to be aware of this plan at some level. Coyote placement is old news but cougar seeding isn't.
                          Hard to believe isn't it!

Comment

Well now you have heard it! NY is not the only state involved in this conspiracy theory. The Eastern Coyote is a different critter than the Southwestern Coyote. It is possible that funding and the initiative came from private sources. Of course the States had to be aware of this plan at some level. Coyote placement is old news but cougar seeding isn't.
                            Hard to believe isn't it!
                            Lol, I've heard a lot of things...that doesn't mean that they have any credibility. So far, the only time I've heard of a supposed covert coyote introduction was from anonymous internet forum poster. Meanwhile there have been countless wildlife studies and environmental articles, backed up by research, which have indicated the most likely reason for NY's current coyote population was due to extirpation of the region's historical predators (wolves, cougar, bear) and a natural migration by coyotes to fill that ecological gap.

Also, it is true that the eastern coyotes are somewhat bigger than the western ones. Again, if you take the time to read some wildlife studies there have been several theories, supported by research, on that topic: one being that coyotes and wolves and have been mating with each other in the wilderness of Ontario, CA to produce bigger, hybrid coyotes; the other being that coyotes have naturally evolved to fill a vacant ecological role. Since there are no longer wolves to fill the role of apex predators and control the ungulates (namely deer), coyotes have evolved to become bigger and more predatory to take their place, or so the theory goes.
                            Last edited by Bounder45; 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• I agree with you about the hybrid theory but that could have been propagated through man's efforts and then the hybrids were released through seeding programs into the Eastern states. A natural migration of coyotes is a highly remote idea. Sort of like a Disneyworld theme. Just too far fetched to actually happen with the numbers necessary for the populations we see in our environs now. No, the Western Coyote has consistent fur color variations but the Eastern Coyote hide colors are so vastly different from their Western cousins. They run the gamut of variations similar to our domesticated canine pets. That point cannot be ignored and is a sign that man has once again interfered with Mother Nature to bring about desired results.

Comment

I agree with you about the hybrid theory but that could have been propagated through man's efforts and then the hybrids were released through seeding programs into the Eastern states.
                                I honestly can't tell if you're joking or serious at this point.

A natural migration of coyotes is a highly remote idea. Sort of like a Disneyworld theme. Just too far fetched to actually happen with the numbers necessary for the populations we see in our environs now. No, the Western Coyote has consistent fur color variations but the Eastern Coyote hide colors are so vastly different from their Western cousins. They run the gamut of variations similar to our domesticated canine pets. That point cannot be ignored and is a sign that man has once again interfered with Mother Nature to bring about desired results.
                                So fur color variations are why you think the western coyote didn't migrate into the east? I hate to break it to you, but physical variations within a species are quite common among the different regions. In fact, that's one of the fundamental aspects of natural evolution.

Comment

Working...
                                X