This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gman View Post
    The Salmon River that flows into the Bay of Quinte. Also according to Rich Preall it is doubtful the Salmon River at Malone had a run of salmon.
    "G"
    When the seas retreated eons past, Atlantic Salmon became "landlocked".
    Thus the name.
    Jim

Comment

Geez I am glad when the seas retreated there was someone there to give them the right name.

Back on topic Jim.
      Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
        Geez I am glad when the seas retreated there was someone there to give them the right name.

Back on topic Jim.

Steady Gman. Steady....
        “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
        ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Interesting article about Mountain Lions in California.

"Of 83 mountain lions that were legally killed last year and had their stomach contents analyzed, more than half were found to have eaten cats, dogs or other domestic animals,*SFGate*reported. Only five percent had eaten deer, which is said to be the ferocious feline’s favorite food."

Roving mountain lions have been snacking on California pets, according to a new report from the Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Comment

Originally posted by cityboy View Post

"Of 83 mountain lions that were legally killed last year and had their stomach contents analyzed, more than half were found to have eaten cats, dogs or other domestic animals,*SFGate*reported. Only five percent had eaten deer, which is said to be the ferocious feline’s favorite food."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/15...?intcmp=hplnws
            I'll accept that California has a problem with cougars. There has been a resident population of those cats in the western states for years.
            But we're not talking about that state.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cityboy View Post

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/15...?intcmp=hplnws
              What's the deer population like in California? I've always felt that any effort to reintroduce cougars in the ADKs would eventually result in them migrating to the foothills and beyond where there are more deer along with domestic cats and dogs. Not to mention the farm country and livestock.
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I agree, Buck.
                Just like the misguided attempt to introduce Lynx In the ADK's.
                California's a different situation.
                Hunting Mountain Lions has been outlawed in that state for years and the predator/prey ratio went way out of proportion.
                Without hunting, the population of cougars went off scale.
                The cats ran out of deer to kill so they moved into the suburbs.
                New Jersey has a almost the same problem with black bears.
                Jim

Comment

It just illustrates that humans have no idea how to manage nature.

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                    It just illustrates that humans have no idea how to manage nature.
                    Yep,
                    We are not the center of the universe.
                    We do our best.
                    Jim

Comment

i believe there is a decent number of mountain lions in the park at any one given time, not saying a steady population but they are there and as others have mentioned it benefits the DEC to deny this, also agreeing with others just because you dont see them doesnt mean they arent there, this year ive seen a few different moose which are supposed to be very uncommon still in the park, also seen two bobcat which very few people see yet from most people i've talked with there are much more bear around than ever before and many were killed but i never once seen a bear or any sign of them, does this mean i can make a claim that there are no bear in new york state?
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Here we go again.
                        Last edited by Schultzz; 02-18-2016, 11:48 PM.
                        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Trail cams/Game cams reveal many animals not seen by the most enthusiastic outdoor people. Haven't seen puma nor bigfoot yet. I'm sure they are out there but mewonders why they are so camera shy?
                          "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

[if I were to see or photograph an adk mountain lion (wolf or bigfoot) I would share it with very few people - just like that retired nysdec official did in lake George back in 2010]
                            'Parks and Panthera Study the East Bay’s Big Cats'

'Panthera teams up with the East Bay Regional Park District to study how an apex predator lives in remote wilderness and peri-urban areas like the Oakland hills.'

excerpt:
                            'With wolves and grizzly bears extirpated in California, few animals as iconic as the mountain lion remain in the state. Mountain lions were a bounty animal in California until the mid-1960s. Then, they were reclassified as a “game mammal” and could be hunted legally for sport. Today, mountain lions, also referred to as cougars or pumas, are considered a “specially protected mammal”—less severe than being endangered but protected from any kind of hunting. Because of their extremely shy nature and skill at avoiding humans, the size of the mountain lion population in the East Bay is unknown.'

Give a man/woman or child a fish or meat and feed them for a day. Teach them how to fish or hunt and feed them for a lifetime - and they'll never forget you.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.

Comment

Originally posted by albert View Post
                              i believe there is a decent number of mountain lions in the park at any one given time, not saying a steady population but they are there and as others have mentioned it benefits the DEC to deny this, also agreeing with others just because you dont see them doesnt mean they arent there, this year ive seen a few different moose which are supposed to be very uncommon still in the park, also seen two bobcat which very few people see yet from most people i've talked with there are much more bear around than ever before and many were killed but i never once seen a bear or any sign of them, does this mean i can make a claim that there are no bear in new york state?
                              Albert,
                              Seriously, hike into Panther Gorge, leave your pack outside your tent, and I would
                              almost guarantee that you'll have a bear encounter.
                              The members of this forum are wide ranging and knowledgeable.
                              If any of them have seen with their own eyes, a mountain lion, it would have been noted.
                              Jim

Comment

Saw very large canine tracks in the snow today in a very remote mountain setting overlooking a famous trophy trout, stream They seemed to be following some very large deer tracks. hmm Howl.
                                Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X