View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #65
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I hear this, but there is a HUGE difference between motorsports and human powered sports.

And I have tons of personal data on my own riding and skiing, and they I would say they are more similar than you might think. Average speeds for skiing are a little slower, but you can certainly hit the same top speeds on skis as on a bike. The other thing is if you don't know, bikes are FAR easier to control and stop than skis. Brakes and tires on bikes are so good now I can go from full speed to zero in very short distance. In theory, you can do a hockey stop on skis and stop very quick but to do that on long XC skis with softish boots on narrow trails in deep snow is not very easy.

Just for reference, I'm not extremely fit or extremely skilled on a bike or on skis, and I tend to average 6-7 mph on trails, even fast ones (really fit XC bikers can probably do 10-12, but a lot of that is climbing speed) and 4 mph on skis, maybe slower if I do a lot of climbing or trail breaking through heavy snow. Maybe a tad faster if conditions are flat or ideal. I don't like to go much more than 20-25mph on XC/XCD skis, beyond that you are really out of control. Making controlled turns is often much slower, like 12-15 mph. Topping out at 20 mph on a bike is pretty fast on most trails. I've definitely hit 30ish, but that was really steep, fast trail and it's not something I would do way in the BC.

Both DH biking and skiing are much faster, but are usually left to ski resorts. Those are far more adrenaline fueled and because you ride a lift, much less fitness involved (although both are very physical, just not as much so as BC skiing or biking).
Yeah, I totally agree. I've never had a mountain biker be a dick to me, although I've had quite a few startle me with a last minute "on your left!" as they whizzed by. But that's on me for not always having the situational awareness to hear them coming from behind. I guess you could also split enthusiasts of all types into people who view things as "challenges" and those who don't. I have a handful of mountain biking friends and they do like a challenging trail. They feel like they beat something somehow. Same can be said for peak-bagging hikers who are all about how many and how fast. Me, I'm more of a lazy hiker/camper/paddler who enjoys the quiet. I think a 100 bikes are less intrusive than a single radio, for instance....
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote