View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #28
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'm sure there's probably a black birch or two somewhere in the Adirondacks, but they definitely aren't common. The Adirondacks are a little bit too far north/too high in elevation for them. I wouldn't be super surprised to come across one in the Adirondacks but it would certainly also be noteworthy.

It's possible that one of birches is a gray birch, but that would be somewhat unusual also. I would want to see the leaves to be sure.

Norway maple is a common street tree due to its high level of tolerance of adverse growing conditions (which probably also contribute to it being invasive). There is some evidence that the species is capable of allelopathy (using chemicals to suppress the growth of other competing species).

Silver maples are also tolerant of wet conditions in particular and are commonly used as street trees as well, although the wood is known for being weak. It's a good idea not to plant any silver maples close to a building or a driveway if you don't want to end up having to pay for repairs to your house/car in the long run because a branch fell on either. Silver maples are also somewhat rare in the Adirondacks- they are a bottom land species and can be found growing alongside some of the rivers but that's about it. I know they grow extensively alongside the Raquette River downstream of Raquette River Falls.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote