Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #21
Creekwader
Snag Locator

...there is some secrecy involved with fishing for brookies?? I know some fishing locations are often kept a deep dark secret, but... I thought brookies were an easier catch than other trout? ....Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

Pond brookies are a totally different ballgame than stream brookies. That's all I can say.

I just was fishing Oriskany creek a couple minutes ago, got a nice male 12 inch brown. Lately I've been slaying the browns on a flourescent orange beadhead brown woolly bugger. They've been going nuts chasing after it. I fish it quartered downstream with a fast retreive.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #22
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Trout

Creekwader - I by no means take your secrecy personal. I total respect your reasoning for doing so, and i would do the same if I were in your position. Still, you can't blame a guy for trying. Pond brookies are a whole different ballgame. Catching brookies, browns, and rainbows from streams is something I've done my entire life, but since I got my Hornbeck, I feel drawn to the secluded lakes and ponds. I know you can't say, but I have to assume some of the flies you mentioned for casting would also be effective trolled for brook trout. One other issue that's been bothering me--when using mono for a leader I feel forced to use a heavy pound test because when I go with something lighter the line twists due to the wobbler or flasher. Does anyone else have this problem? Does pound test make a difference when trolling for trout with a mono leader? It seems to me the heavier the pound test, the more visibility, but the more action. Won't the fly move more with a heavier pound test, mimicking the movement of the wobbler?
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #23
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Using a swivel should take care of the twisting. I like lighter pound mono, because it becomes almost invisible in the water. As for the fly movement, one of the fly fishermen will have to answer that question.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #24
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader
I just was fishing Oriskany creek a couple minutes ago, got a nice male 12 inch brown. Lately I've been slaying the browns on a flourescent orange beadhead brown woolly bugger. They've been going nuts chasing after it. I fish it quartered downstream with a fast retreive.
Not to get too far off topic here, but... thanks for the tip tried an olive woolly bugger a few days back no luck, but.... then again i'm impatient and probably tried it for like 10 minutes.

lucky sonuva going this morning, with the barometer on the rise, creek is down to a nice level.... now it's gonna pour any hour now, and i won't get to go tonight #$%#$ hurricane aftermath, hafta wait like 3 days. please please rain wait until like 8pm

edit: rain held off, o-creek is still lookin' good couple strikes no hookups last night for me.

Last edited by protocoldroid; 09-29-2004 at 09:09 AM..
protocoldroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:42 PM   #25
marcia
To the mountains!

I reacently went hikeing for a brief time in The lower ADK and had my first taste of Brook Trout. I want to try my hand at fishing....anyone have some info thay wish to share with me, good spots or triks?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkerd be failure than to rank with those poor spitits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory or defeat"
~~Theodore Roosevelt~~
marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:14 AM   #26
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcia
I reacently went hikeing for a brief time in The lower ADK and had my first taste of Brook Trout. I want to try my hand at fishing....anyone have some info thay wish to share with me, good spots or triks?
Marcia,
If you want to catch some brook trout for eating, try stream fishing. Most Adirondack streams that are bigger than something you'd want to jump across and don't flow out of major lakes (there are exceptions to this) support many small wild trout. I assume you'll be spinfishing so get a gold no. 1 mepps aglia spinner or a gold phoebe and fish the deeper pools of these small streams. Put on a pair of old sneakers or tevas and have at it. Call the NYS DEC in Raybrook if you want to know specific streams in your area, they have lists of public fishing rights areas and brook trout waters.
-Scott
Old 09-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #27
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Brook Trout

Marcia - My favorite lure for stream fishing is a small gold panther martin. I also like the yellow and red color as well. Also, don't forget that nightcrawlers can be very effective for stream fishing. I like to hook the worm just once or twice so it looks more natural, and this technique has helped me land some nice fish. Minnows are also allowed in some streams, though they are forbidden in ponds and lakes designated as Special Trout Waters. I like to use a No. 6 hook when fishing with minnows or crawlers in streams. Bait fishing will land you many rainbows and browns as well. Good luck.

Creekwader - What leader length do you suggest when trailing mono from an xmas tree or wabbler?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:26 AM   #28
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

I like to use a Little Joe spinner in combination with a #6 hook on a 1" leader with about 1/3 of a crawler. The trout love them.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #29
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Leader Length

I'm still looking for suggestions on leader length when trailing mono from an xmas tree or wabbler. Anyone out there have any advice?
Old 10-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #30
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I'm still looking for suggestions on leader length when trailing mono from an xmas tree or wabbler. Anyone out there have any advice?
GG: This is one of those things I think you should experiment with. My experience with DOE (Design of Experiments) is that if you have a factor that you wish to optimize, pick extremes that push the limit of what you feel is reasonable and use those as your end points. Look at the extreme endpoints and also the point in the middle of those two and see what happens. If you run a statistically valid set of experiments (fishing trips) you should arrive at a leader size that produces for you. With fishing, there is alot of what I'll call 'experimental error' so the more trips the better but you can also do things within trips such as running side by side comparisons or running multiple same lengths then changing after some time interval.

Have fun!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #31
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, CW. I think I have an idea for a couple of reasonable endpoints. I just wish it wasn't toward the end of the season so I'd have more time to experiment. I know the leader length i have used has produced a little, but I'd like to go longer. I don't know if you can answer this or not...if it is proprietary info, no problem, but do you ever use a worm to trail your wabbler, or do you prefer streamers? Hey, I need to do some background research before conducting my experiment! Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:25 AM   #32
fvrwld

I don't do too much trolling...I need a Hornsbeck for that. What I do know is that the beauty of this time of year is that the trout come shallow and are easier to catch from shore. I always do well in October casting roostertails, castmasters and small spoons from shore.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #33
ken999

GG -I have trolled worms behind Lake Clears with 1 - 2 ft of leader.

Sometimes the Brookies hammer the LC and worms, sometimes they hammer the flies on sinking line, and more often than not they don't bite at all...but when they do...and you have what they want, it is a lot of fun.
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #34
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Thanks for the suggestion, CW. I think I have an idea for a couple of reasonable endpoints. I just wish it wasn't toward the end of the season so I'd have more time to experiment. I know the leader length i have used has produced a little, but I'd like to go longer. I don't know if you can answer this or not...if it is proprietary info, no problem, but do you ever use a worm to trail your wabbler, or do you prefer streamers? Hey, I need to do some background research before conducting my experiment! Thanks again.
I don't use worms for the following reasons:
1. I release most of what I catch and worms result in gut/gill hooking much of the time.
2. Transporting worms around is an inconvenience.
3. Worms are not necessary.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #35
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader
I don't use worms for the following reasons:
1. I release most of what I catch and worms result in gut/gill hooking much of the time.
2. Transporting worms around is an inconvenience.
3. Worms are not necessary.
It also pi$$es the worms off and tends to ruin their day!
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:59 PM   #36
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
It also pi$$es the worms off and tends to ruin their day!
Forgot about that one, but yeah!