Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
UpstateIrish

GPS Apps For Android

So I just got a newfangled, shiny, HTC Android phone and of course my first thought was, must get outdoor Apps! I have downloaded a compass a US Army survival manual and other ridiculous apps but I want to know if anyone has downloaded GPS apps and if so, do you like them? Most look like they cost $10 and while not a huge outlay, just wondering if anyone had direct experience with any Droid apps? Thanks!
UpstateIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
daLunartik

I've downloaded the EveryTrails app, but have rarely used it - and never in the woods, mainly because of the battery drain to run my phone (a Droid X) in gps mode. I think I could have gotten a paid version of EveryTrails, but the additional features it would have given me still would have left it a poor replacement for my 60CSx.

One app I do recommend, is GasBuddy. Not that there are a lot of gas options in the Dacks per se, but useful for gas prices none the less.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

There are some good outdoor apps for Iphone and Android, but the gps apps ain't them.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Troy64

Backcountry Navigator is good, but the GPS is a huge drain on the battery.

You can buy extra batteries online for about $6 each. The batteries (for a Droid) I bought (see link) have worked just as well as the one that came with the phone.

Last edited by Troy64; 05-13-2011 at 06:08 AM..
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
crkmeup

If you are already bringing a cell phone it might be an ok backup. I will stick with my map and compass with a dedicated device as an assistant. If you forget disable background sync and enable airplane mode your battery won't last in the back country. IMHO
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
colden46

Not really a GPS app, but I have this iphone app that will let me download and offline view 24k USGS topo maps. It was $8, and worth it IMO. Great for daydreaming at work Not sure if there's a droid version.

One thing to consider if you're planning on using this in the field: most GPS units are water resistant, and most phones aren't. Phones nowadays have liquid contact indicators, sometimes basically on the OUTSIDE of the device. One little splash or some rain, and your warranty is void.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
UpstateIrish

Great advice everyone! Thanks so much for the input. I was hoping to use it as a GPS device but it sounds like battery life is a major issue. I am a big believer in actual maps but am intrigued by this new device. Maybe I will look into those batteries and some of those apps! Thanks!!
UpstateIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
crkmeup

You may want to include a USB/AA phone charger in your kit too. For many reasons I would not use the phone in the back country. I do bring a cell phone but turn it off and remove the battery. That way if I do need it, it might work. Enjoy and HYOH.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
geogymn

Took a hike yesterday, tried out "My Tracks" app for android and it blows me away. Downloaded to Google maps. Showed our route, start and end times, distance traveled, and a chart showing elevation change. Wish I had that in the past to show where I walked all those times I got lost but then I wouldn't of got lost, forget it.