Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
cityboy

29er Mountain Bike

I'm thinking of getting one. Most of my rides are on paved roads with an occasional dirt one thrown in.

Anyone have an experience with one and can make any suggestions as to brand.
My choice is either Trek or Giant.

I already have 3 bikes. A racer, a fitness bike I use in the ADK and a 26" mountain bike in the Southern Tier for back dirt roads. The mountain bike is a Giant ATX 760. Its old and I've been told it has a crack in frame otherwise it's my favorite.

My idea behind the 29er is that the extra rolling distance would be good for longer rides but I really don't like riding the dirt roads in the ADK.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
bridgeman

You have lots of options. Find a bike shop that will let you test ride a couple of different bikes and take it from there.

I just purchased the Trek Cobia which is a hardtail 29er. I ride mostly road, and dirt trail with occasional singletrack, so this bike fits me perfectly. I also picked up a set of tires with less agressive treads for longer road rides and hardpacked dirt roads.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
cf06adk

I just bought a Giant Talon 29er this week after spending months researching. It's awesome. I've ridden it on the paved bike path as well as in the Pinebush and on the Lock 7 trails and it has performed well beyond my expectations. Highly recommend it !
cf06adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
mar71

CityBoy i switched over from 26inch to 29ers 3 years ago and i will never look back. in my opinion 29ers outshine 26ers in every aspect. They climb like goats, they descend like down hill ski racers, and they roller over sections of trails while seated, that require you to stand up on a 26er. Take the plunge and you will see what I mean. I currently own a Cannondale flash carbon 29er. I would recommend any of the Cannondale, Specialized or Gary Fishers 29ers they are all great brands.
mar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
cityboy

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I had heard that 29ners were great for dirt trails but was unsure if they were effective on paved roads.

I hate my Trek fitness bike. Whenever I try to ride out of the saddle my toe touches the front tire. I think it was made for people with short torsos. I just rode my old 26 inch mountain bike and loved it. I remember the old days when I use to blow by everyone on the dirt road to the Santononi Preserve. That was 10 years ago. Too bad it has a crack in the frame now.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
GeoLobo
ADKBL

I am looking for some great ideas for Mtn Biking goals to write up on my facebook Bucket List page. If you are a Mtn Biker, what are your ADK goals that have to do with Mtn Biking (aside from the Black Fly Challenge <smile>).

If you have already completed some goals, please share your photos.

Adirondack Bucket List
GeoLobo is offline   Reply With Quote