Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
TCD

Time to have fun!

In Keene at 1800' I have close to a foot of snow already; looks like it will be two feet when it's all done. If you can get out to play, now's the time!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Justin

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

16" so far here..crazy windy too. Just waiting for the power to go out...
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
TCD

Cool. Not too much wind here yet, but at 5:00 PM when I went out to do the first shovel round we had 22", and it was PUKING snow.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
bluequill

24" in SL at 6:30pm and at 8:30pm still coming down at a good rate. Should be fun tomorrow!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
TCD

Just got in from clearing snow here in Keene. Almost 3 feet - I measured 34" and it's still snowing.

I think we were subject to this (from the NWS forecast discussion):

"Intense mesoscale band that dropped 8" in
two hours at KBTV, and an impressive 5" between 4 and 5 pm
continues to slowly pivot into far northwest VT and the NY side
of the Champlain Valley from Ticonderoga northward."
Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

So I went BC skiing on Friday...got in a few runs (over 2,400 vertical) on untracked, light, dry powder, a little over 2 feet deep. Bluebird skies and I had the entire mountain to myself.
23F when I started, 32F when when I left. But on my last climb up, I looped around a bit and one of the side slopes was getting some direct sun. That powder was wet and settling, which for me was unsettling. I fear that was the last for the powder, and without much skier traffic, soon there will be 2 feet of mashed potatoes!!

On Saturday, I skied in a different state park, at Plattekill in the Catskills. Over 4 feet of powder fell there last week and I missed it by that (imagine my thumb and finger ever so close) much!! So disappointing at first. Most of the mountain was windslabbed, sun crusted, wind crusted or a combo of all of the above. The tree skiing was particularly calorie intensive. Even the bumped up trails were crusty. Eventually, we found some light powder on 2 trails and the trees near those trails. Even had accumulating snow late in the day. Ended up a much better day than it the way it started.

So I paid for my turns both days, but with vastly disparate currency!

Anyone else take advantage of the windfall snowfall?

Ooh, ooh, ooh Mistah Cahrtah!! I almost forgot, I weighed my backcountry skis with bindings, skins, boots and poles, boy was I surprised. 22.5 lbs.

Last edited by stripperguy; 03-19-2017 at 09:21 PM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Made the mistake of waiting 24 hours after the snow stopped (life got in the way).

By the time the skis were pointed down a hill the top layer of what was dry, fluffy pow had been melted by the sun and warmer temps and crusted by the wind. The crust was far too delicate to support a man of my stature and underneath was trapped, unconsolidated sugar of the day before.

Going up. Skis refused to plane up and stuck under the crust. Grip was minimal.

Coming down. Skis refused to plane up and stuck under the crust. Speed was minimal.

Skiing with free heels proved to be challenging as any change in pressure to the skis or lead changes wanted to toss you forward.

Turns were minimal with the lack of speed.

All-in-all, not the most fun I've had on skis by a long shot. Quantity isn't always quality, as the saying goes... if it would have stayed cold for a few more days, I think it could have been spectacular. Or about 5 min after the snow stopped!
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Ooh, ooh, ooh Mistah Cahrtah!! I almost forgot, I weighed my backcountry skis with bindings, skins, boots and poles, boy was I surprised. 22.5 lbs.
AT? Man that's a lot. How wide are the planks?

Don't know much about backcountry fixed heel, but I do know you should be able to be half that weight. I'm a backwards freeheeler and none of my kits even come close to that.

My heaviest: 185cm Tua Helium, Voile 3 pin + cables, and Scarpa T2 (and skins) = 15.25 lbs

My lightest (not very dh): 205cm Fischer E89, NNN-BC bindings, Alpina Alaska boots ~ 8 lbs

And a couple pairs in between @ ~ 10-12 lbs.

I don't care what my poles weigh, they don't go on my feet. But mine are some Al and carbon BD poles which are wicked light anyway.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

montcalm,
Yeah, AT gear...
Boots are Scarpa something or other, they have a forward flex rating of 110 or 120, and an honest to god walk mode for the up. They're powerful boots, and I do use them for lift served skiing too. It took me a while to find suitable boots for BC use, since I wanted them for all day in the bump skiing lift served. I was in a horrific bicycle/truck accident long back (I was the cyclist), and I'm missing a good chunk of my anterior tibialis muscle and the immediately surrounding tissue is still sensitive to pressure (it's only been 30 years). So I need a boot tall enough to end above that sensitive region (much of the rest has no feeling).

Skis are Fisher Watea's, 84 under foot and 174 cm long, they're a full on alpine ski.
Bindings are Fritchie Free Ride Pro's, and those are fairly lightweight. I have another AT setup with Marker Baron's, absolutely bombproof, but heavier than most alpine bindings!
Black Diamond skins, don't remember which ones, they're purple...

While I was surprised at the weight, I don't mind it since the terrain and conditions that I ski require a capable set up.

You mentioned that you were skiing a breakable crust and didn't like it too much. I don't think anyone likes a breakable crust, but my heavier gear allows me to ski that stuff all day long. One of my ski buddies has the same Watea's that I do, but with some Dynafit AT bindings and boots, much lighter than my stuff.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

I was skiing with a mid-weight cross-country downhill setup. I had NNN-BC bindings and leather boots on Not much in the way of support... I thought the snow was going to be light and fluffy when I threw them in the car that morning.

It wasn't the worst crust I've been on. Just a little stiff, enough to keep the skis under the snow and make you go really slow (both up and down).

I've skied the crusts you are referring to which make a free heel miserable... pretty rare though I must say.

I ski my T2s for lift-served. They are a really stout boot. I've also skied 110 flex Alpine boots and they are nothing like that - very soft going forward and I ski mine in walk mode too. You need to really balance fore-aft. They have a lot of torsional stiffness though so you can really whip the skis around. They are the most comfortable plastic shell boot I've worn as well, and that's a big plus in my book.

To each his/her own. I have no interest in AT, I just know it can be light(er) but just like the Nordic side, there is a price... my lightest ski setup is very limited in what it can do, and making turns is not on that list. Just sayin' pound for pound, Tele is way behind AT now. You can get some sick-light stuff that rivals what I use for cross-country in terms of weight. And for Tele, I'm skiing on near 20 year old AT sticks with a bindings design that is like 30...
Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
Justin

Groomed trails were pretty fun & very much worth the $44 for a four-hour twilight pass at Jiminy Peak. Got 14 fun runs in. No complaints here, and it sure was nice to sneak in some more downhill fun on some pretty good conditions before spring sets in for good. Wasn't too busy either & often rode the lift solo. https://youtu.be/WfuI0pKzB70

Last edited by Justin; 03-20-2017 at 08:21 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Fisheater

I keep hearing about how light some of that AT stuff is, but I enjoy the free heel. I am not that worried about a little extra weight, if you get out enough your body compensates. I bought a leather boot I absolutely love, it is almost as heavy as my T-4 boots, but it is great on the up and the down. The sole is very stiff torsionally, and I can easily turn my mid fat waxless skis with only the 3-pins engaged in soft snow. However if I was skiing in an area with a bit more vertical I would engage the hardwires.
Glad to hear you got out Mike. It just kills my image of retirement when retired guys can't get out for a powder day!
Montcalm, I keep telling myself I need a pair of Voile Vectors. Someday I am going to have the conditions you were skiing and I hope I have a set when that day comes. If you were worried about weight, a pair of Vectors at 180 cm mounted with 3-pin Hardwires weigh less than ten pounds.
I like my skinnier trail skis, and my mid-fat waxless for rolling terrain, but sooner or later I really want a pair of fat touring skis. Every few years we get some deep snow, I sure hope I am ready when it comes.
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

Buy those Eons Fish They'll be a great trail ski. They need a pair of kicker skins to make them really useful though.

PS Tell Woods I'll buy his 189 S98s when he sells them; I know he will

Vector, schmector. Good ski for an AT Stripperguy Your S112s can get you into plenty of trouble. Stick with them for XCD.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

All I have is this photo from my phone...the photos rarely show the pitch accurately. Storm ended Tuesday afternoon, this was Friday, mid day. Nobody there but me. Justin, you should have joined me, you would have loved it!! BTW, I skied out of the frame, in the trees at skiers right, all untracked. Not that trampled crud in view.

I've often thought about trying tele, but I've spent too many years honing my fixed heel skills.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #16
montcalm
Mobster

Don't need to Tele to ski free heel. That's just a myth.

Everyone says Tele is hard. It is... feels near impossible sometimes. But when it's right, it's easy. And you can ski parallel any other time.

Given modern AT bindings, I don't see the use in resorting to free heels unless you like rolling terrain and touring. AT stuff is so good now due to Randonee racing that it makes little sense for most skiers to go to tele unless you like Nordic skiing or your are bored with alpine.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #17
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Everyone says Tele is hard. It is...
So is trying to stick the landing at 40 MPH....
https://youtu.be/0KOL3jNU5qA
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #18
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
So is trying to stick the landing at 40 MPH....
https://youtu.be/0KOL3jNU5qA
You should change your name to Eddie

https://youtu.be/L1aWsFpg3To
Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #19
montcalm
Mobster

And I'll be Freddie.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #20
Justin

Not too bad for an out of shape & rusty 40 year old...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d8l...ature=youtu.be