Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
AvalanchePass

Use winter boots in summer?

Hi,

I was looking for a pair of boots for this summer and came across the Helly Hansen Men's Woodlands size 9 winter boot on Amazon for CDN$55.59 shipping in. It was odd since every other size was priced at CDN$139.15 or higher.

I grabbed them because they seemed like a great deal and I do plan on starting some winter hiking in the next couple of years.

So how uncomfortable will I be using them this summer? Should I still be looking for a summer boot?

TIA,
AP
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalanchePass View Post
Hi,

I was looking for a pair of boots for this summer and came across the Helly Hansen Men's Woodlands size 9 winter boot on Amazon for CDN$55.59 shipping in. It was odd since every other size was priced at CDN$139.15 or higher.

I grabbed them because they seemed like a great deal and I do plan on starting some winter hiking in the next couple of years.

So how uncomfortable will I be using them this summer? Should I still be looking for a summer boot?

TIA,
AP
They look like something I would wear in the summer along with a pair of light/mod merino wool socks.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I wear boots in the winter and sandals in the summer, but I am known to not be very normal in my customs. I like sandals because I can walk through streams and puddles when necessary and not suffer the adverse consequences of heavy soggy boots. Perhaps waterproof boots would also work, but they don't tend to stay that way and also if you accidentally sink in and they fill up with water they're really hard to dry. I have an easy come, easy go attitude to wet feet.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
adironor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
a pair of light/mod merino
Talking about merino wool, there are more great shoes made of wool, allbirds shoes are probably the best, but expensive. These https://goo.gl/49SSA2 are cheaper and yet high quality.
adironor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
AvalanchePass

Thanks for the replies.

One of the Amazon reviews:
"-even though advertised as a cold-weather boot, they're very temperature flexible. I have hiked in them in upwards of eight-five degrees, and they do warm up, but with good socks you'll be fine."

We'll see ...
Old 04-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Trail Boss

I have no idea why Helly Hansen calls it a "winter boot". Nowhere in the description (neither on Amazon or Helly Hansen's site) does it say these boots are insulated ... so IMHO they're just "boots". They probably won't feel like "Turkish baths" in the shoulder seasons but in summer a leather boot is a bit too much footwear for me. YMMV.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
tenderfoot

I find my feet heat up a bit. They really enjoy getting out at the end of the day or even taking a dip along the way. So I usually clip a pair of crocs to my pack. I find the closed toe a bit better around camp and wandering around in the dark. Of course having a change of socks works wonders too.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I have no idea why Helly Hansen calls it a "winter boot". Nowhere in the description (neither on Amazon or Helly Hansen's site) does it say these boots are insulated ... so IMHO they're just "boots". They probably won't feel like "Turkish baths" in the shoulder seasons but in summer a leather boot is a bit too much footwear for me. YMMV.
I'm similarly confused. We shall see.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Going to depend on who you talk too. My feet get too hot in sandals even, the thought of wearing boots during the summer makes me lol!

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
Foraging_bear

One or two trips out and you will most likely have an answer haha.
I do not have a specific input on these boots But I would recommend some lighter merino wool socks if your worried the boots might be a bit toasty(really just in general, I've never been disappointed )and keep track of how your feet are feeling throughout the day. If they are too warm don't hesitate to air those feet out on any break.(something I try to do every break over 5 minutes regardless just to keep an eye on how my feet are holding up and let them rest/air out) I would definitely second having a pair of camp shoes of some sort if you don't mind a little extra weight , I agree with tenderfoot about the crocs.... I love them! Plus it gives you a second option other than barefoot just in case your boots are not doing the trick
Foraging_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Foraging_bear

P.s - not that there's anything wrong with going barefoot (adirondackaiteer) haha
Foraging_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
AvalanchePass

I now have the boots and really can't ascertain why they are sold as winter boots. Seem like regular boots to me.

A couple of short break-in hikes so far with no issues (except that the laces are too short for my wide feet).

Our 10 year son is also breaking in a pair of boots and is complaining about being uncomfortable. I have a feeling the tip about removing boots during breaks and letting the feet breath will be useful for him.

Interesting that two posters have alluded to hiking bear foot. He told us recently that he's not doing the hike unless he can do it in his socks (he tends to employ some hyperbole).

Socks. I don't have proper hiking attire yet. Still wearing jeans. Do have a wicking shirt which is important since I tend to sweat.

This year we got boots, a stove, and navigation. We'll see what next years priorities are.

AP
Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #13
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalanchePass View Post
Interesting that two posters have alluded to hiking bear foot. He told us recently that he's not doing the hike unless he can do it in his socks (he tends to employ some hyperbole).
Oh I think its mainly me, F_b I think was just poking a little fun
I do love hiking barefoot, but for those reading I must stress it's something you need to build up to, like over a few years of barefoot walking/running/light trails before doing something like the Adirondacks (not that you were considering, but fwiw).

I wouldn't hike in socks though, worst of both worlds!

Good luck with the boots, sounds like they'll do the trick.

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote