Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Swift Algonquin 16 question

I am contemplating purchasing a lighter canoe, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular model? I am looking at one on craigslist and wondering what a fair price would be. It's supposed to weigh 38 pounds, but I'd love to hear pros and cons from someone who may have owned one. Thanks!
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Can't help you with much other than price. Probably in the 1500-1800 range depending on condition.

Never paddled that particular model but as far as UL Swifts go they are fine boats. Strong, durable, stiff and attractive.

Look over the usual stuff you'd look at for a Kevlar boat. Cracks that could enter the foam core or soft spots. Scuffs, scrapes, spider webs are all fine as long as its just the clear or gel coat and not the resin. You can tell by how stiff it is.

Also its best if it had been stored indoors or covered as UV breaks down the resin and makes them soft over time. If its relatively new, not a big issue, but something to keep in mind for your own storage.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Can't help you with much other than price. Probably in the 1500-1800 range depending on condition.

Never paddled that particular model but as far as UL Swifts go they are fine boats. Strong, durable, stiff and attractive.

Look over the usual stuff you'd look at for a Kevlar boat. Cracks that could enter the foam core or soft spots. Scuffs, scrapes, spider webs are all fine as long as its just the clear or gel coat and not the resin. You can tell by how stiff it is.

Also its best if it had been stored indoors or covered as UV breaks down the resin and makes them soft over time. If its relatively new, not a big issue, but something to keep in mind for your own storage.
I paid $1,200 for my Kipawa a few years ago...it was in perfect condition with one scratch in the gel coat...it had been stored indoors and looks brand new even now. The owner had asked $1,900 for it.
It's a well built boat.
I like the sliding seat but even after several years of use we are not in love with the webbed seats. We prefer caned seats for comfort and mobility.

The Algonquin may be a more stable boat with more initial stability..
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Thanks for the suggestions and the price point info. He was asking 2K, so I think I'm going to give it a pass. I weighed my Morningstar today and it's only 9 pounds heavier. I guess I have to work out more....and stop getting older.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 07-09-2018 at 09:14 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote