Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Ghjhero

Best Way to Hike Algonquin?

Hey folks! Iím going up to the ADK next week and am hoping to get Algonquin and the rest of the MacIntyre Range as well as Colden in a big loop. What way would people suggest approaching Algonquin from? Iíve heard coming from the north is the usual approach, how does the sourthern approach to Iroquois/Algonquin compare? Thanks in advance!
Ghjhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
gebbyfish

The up from Avalanche Lake to Boundary Mountain and then Iroquois is pretty steep and if you try to loop it that way, you need to go up, over, down and then back and over Algonquin again, after getting right to get Colden if you come from the south. I think your better bet is to go in from the Loj and get Wright, Algonquin, over Boundary, get Iroquois and then back over Boundary and then down to the Lake and over the dam to get Colden and then over Colden and down to Lake Arnold and back to the Loj. Hope you're in great hiking shape as this is quite the undertaking!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Ghjhero

Thank you! How steep in the trail when ascending from the north?
Ghjhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
rickhart

I like the loop over Algonquin & Iroquois the way Gebbyfish says, counterclockwise -- but I've just done the MacIntyre part & returned via Avalanche Pass, not including Colden. And I find even that a strenuous hike. But no reason you couldn't do Colden and come down from Lake Arnold instead of Avalanche Pass, it's just longer & an extra peak. I should try that sometime; I love Lake Arnold.

Both trails up Algonquin are steep, and I think the Colden one is slightly less elevation, but it's rougher so seems like more. The steep parts on the route from the Loj tend to be smooth ledge, whereas the steep parts on the Colden trail are more jumbled-rocky.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

What gebbyfish said. It's not impossible to do it all in one day. But I don't hate myself to attempt it. The trails are all rough/rocky and the knees/feet take a beating. Going Wright-->Algonquin->Iroquois->Lake->Colden->Out, be careful going down from the MacIntyre range. It's a steep decent.

If this was me personally, I would come from the Loj and do the great range with full pack, go down to the lake/flowed lands and camp. Then next day, leave pack there, go hit colden and come back to get pack and walk the lake back out. Of I I REALLY enjoy taking heavy packs up mountains, then up and over Colden with a pack and then out.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghjhero View Post
... How steep in the trail when ascending from the north?
Here's the elevation profile for a counter-clockwise loop over Algonquin.

As you can see, the descent to Lake Colden is somewhat steeper than the ascent from the north.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

I've done this hike several times. I would do Colden first via Lake Arnold. The descent of Colden towards the Lake offers spectacular views for the first 300 feet of elly loss. But the main reason is that there are now many sets of stairs and ladders covering the tough pitches on Colden. I would much rather descend that than descend the Macintyre side. Ascending to the Iro-Alg col is a visual treat when you break tree line.

Last edited by Neil; 07-12-2018 at 07:43 AM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote