Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
geogymn

Hunting map software

This might belong in the map section but it is a great tool for a hunter. It is an App that overlays google map with property lines and the names of said property owners. Also a couple other neat tools; It has a 7 day free trial period. Let me know what you think.

onxmaps.com
Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Stillhunter

I have the onX map app on my cell phone and desk top. It is more useful for southern zone where property lines are more frequently encountered. Valuable as a tool to seek permission from landowners also. I like it.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Tug Hill

Don’t know why it would be more valuable to the Southern Zone hunter ? Works great in the Northern Zone, ADK’s and Tug Hill, plenty of private land boundaries there as well. Couple it with a map and compass, and a hunter should be dialed.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
Stillhunter

The reason I say more useful (for me) in southern zone is all of my northern zone Adirondack hunting and fishing is done on large tracts of wilderness or wild forest land. Property lines are not an issue. Cell service is spotty there also. For NZ a map, compass and mapping gps works best for me.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
The reason I say more useful (for me) in southern zone is all of my northern zone Adirondack hunting and fishing is done on large tracts of wilderness or wild forest land. Property lines are not an issue. Cell service is spotty there also. For NZ a map, compass and mapping gps works best for me.
Yeah SZ parcels are much smaller and therefore there are more property boundaries to navigate.

Also, you can use it without cell service if you download before hand (preferably on wifi). I know the iphone GPS can work in airplane mode. I just wish the battery wouldn't drop to zero as soon as it is exposed to any temps under 32F.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Buckladd

I've never used it, but my buddy who hunts whitetails in the midwestern states swears by it. Their relationships with the local landowners and such rely on trust and he says the onyx maps are a great tool. As for myself, everywhere I go I know where the boundary lines are and I'm fortunate to have permission to hunt private land that butts up to the Forest Preserve. When I want to look up property info I just use county GIS ahead of time. For me, that situation applies mostly to my turkey hunting spots.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Tug Hill

Like Fly Rodder said, you don’t need cell service if you download maps before hand.
Still don’t understand why it’s not helpful to have a satellite image of the large tract of NZ wilderness you are hunting, boundary lines or not ?
I use it on the job working as a Professional Forester, on the 240,000 acres of ADK and the 30,000 acres of Tug Hill ,Timberland ,we manage.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Stillhunter

Fly Rodder and Tug, thanks for reinforcing the offline use of downloaded maps and images. I have been making waterproof topos with aerial photos on flip side of my hunting areas for 20 years. I know the power of imagery. I tried an onX download last night and it works well. Other than the battery life issue I am going to use it. Will still carry map, compass and GPS. Thanks for endorsing the offline download feature. Looks like a good tool.

Last edited by Stillhunter; 12-07-2017 at 09:23 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
Bounder45

Delorme (now owned by Garmin) has a product called the Inreach Explorer. It's a 2-in-1 navigation GPS and Satellite communication device. The older version of the device doesn't display an actual map, though it did show waypoints and routes. The newer version does show maps on the device itself.

There is an app (called Earthmate) which pairs your mobile phone with this device and allows you to download and store offline maps. It offers lots of different layers: US Topo, Sat imagery, several detailed digital maps, nautical maps. There is also an option to get a version that shows hunting unit information. It does a very good job depicting private and public lands. Between all the different layers, you can see pretty much every form of public land: State parks, WMA's, wilderness, wild forest, primitive areas; national wildlife refuges, national forests, other state and federal lands.

It's a very good app and device for hunting, hiking and general backcountry use. It does require a monthly subscription, but if you're out in the woods a lot, it is well worth the cost.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
This might belong in the map section but it is a great tool for a hunter. It is an App that overlays google map with property lines and the names of said property owners. Also a couple other neat tools; It has a 7 day free trial period. Let me know what you think.

onxmaps.com
Just for fun, I downloaded it and used it to get the UTM coordinates for the 6 corners of my property (2 adjoining lots), and I fed them into GiaGPS. It's pretty accurate. I was able to find the survey markers, one of which I had never found before.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote