This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Seen A Mountain Lion? Many Say They Have

The Adirondack Almanack's contributors include veteran local writers, historians, naturalists, and outdoor enthusiasts from around the Adirondack region. The Almanack is the online news journal of Adirondack Explorer.
    Give a man/woman or child a fish or meat and feed them for a day. Teach them how to fish or hunt and feed them for a lifetime - and they'll never forget you.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.

An interesting topic, but discussed many times.
    I doubt seriously that there is a wild population of the big cat in the ADK's.
    Jim

Comment

What about all those who have seen the mountain lion?

And it was the last thing they saw

Comment

The first response to the myriad of reports of a mountain lion was, "No, there are mountain lions in the Adirondacks and haven't since forever ago." Now that they have been confirmed the response, "No, there is breeding population."

I didn't buy the first response and I certainly don't believe the second.

This past week, two different people told me of their recent mountain lion sighting in the Berlin area (Northeast of Albany).

Comment

I wouldn't be very surprised if someone tried to blame the DEC or DEP for trying to reintroduce the Mountain Lion in the East similar to the wolf program in Yellowstone. Of course they vehemently deny even the slightest mention of such a conspiracy. Our government lies to us about so many things anyway, it really wouldn't surprise me, and I am NOT suggesting that this is happening.
          Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Another baseless conspiracy theory.
            Yes, there was an emaciated juvenile cougar killed near Lake Desolation a few years back.
            Obviously a pet that was released or escaped.
            But we have to be pragmatic, cougars require a huge territory.
            Our group consists of folks that are very wide ranging.
            If a population of cougars exists, there should be more accounts.
            Jim

Comment

I don't think a "population" consists of a few male female placements IF that is what has transpired. Now if someone reports a sighting of one with a transmitter collar... that would be news. IF and UNTIL that happens I think we could all agree with your statement Jim.
              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I saw a mountain lion in Berne, NY (west of Albany) circa 2000. I was in a tree stand bow-hunting. I am 100% absolutely positive what I saw was a mountain lion. When I discussed it with a DEC biologist she tried her hardest to convince me I saw something else. (Discussion occurred casually at a 'winter-fest' where the DEC had a table.)

I think it is in the DEC's best interest to deny their existence because if/when it is establish that a population exists, money will have to be diverted from existing programs to study/protect the population.
                “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

I’m sure official spokesmen/women for the dec are given specific replies to certain questions – ‘that’s the way we always did it.’
                  The retired dec en con officer said nothing publicly (not even the mayor was informed) when he found proof of the mountain lion his wife saw in their backyard in lake George.
                  perhaps he let his friends back at dec offices know his findings.
                  if I had proof/evidence of a mountain lion in nys I wouldn’t state it publicly either.
                  I’m sure there are other dec employees who have info about nys mountain lions they keep to themselves.

And it’s possible m. lions have been killed in nys by hunters and they kept it to themselves – why would they say anything?
                  Give a man/woman or child a fish or meat and feed them for a day. Teach them how to fish or hunt and feed them for a lifetime - and they'll never forget you.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.

Comment

Of course if there were a conspiracy they will deny that it exists . That's how those things work. On the other hand my level of confidence in the State of New York's ability to maintain such a conspiracy is fairly low.

Also according to this Oxford physicist it would be very difficult to keep it a secret, But of course that's what they want us to believe. Now where did I put that tin foil hat? I got a new one, they are giving them away in 28packs of Blue and Blue lite.

Comment

I have never seen a mountain lion in the Adks, or anywhere else- but I have seen plenty of COUGARS in my day.

Comment

The failure on he part of the DEC to take ownership of this issue, rather than dance around it, can't help me wonder if the DEC is more interested in themselves and their budget than they are in the preservation and best interest of cougars.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk View Post
                          The retired dec en con officer said nothing publicly (not even the mayor was informed) when he found proof of the mountain lion his wife saw in their backyard in lake George.
                          perhaps he let his friends back at dec offices know his findings.
                          [/COLOR]
                          I know the officer who investigated the Lake George sighting. He showed me the photos of where they measured the tracks in the snow. They were a little slow in getting the story out though and they didn't really make a fuss until the animal was killed in Connecticut some time later.

I personally know two people who have seen cougars, one is a retired State Trooper.
                          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Buck,
                            We need to look at this in a pragmatic concept.
                            The members of this forum are well versed and wide ranging.
                            If and only "if" there was a population of wild mountain lions in the ADK's, someone would have reported it.
                            Tracks, evidence of kills, etc.
                            I can't buy in to the conspiracy issue.
                            Think about it, why in the world would the DEC hide evidence?
                            They didn't conceal the attempt to reintroduce Lynxe.
                            Fun to talk about around a fire.
                            Jim

Comment

Maybe we should ask Alex Jones.

Comment

Working...
                              X