Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
2012 work schedule for Mt Adams Fire Tower

In an attempt to make it as easy as possible to plan in advance I have put together this year’s work dates and tentative itinerary. I have also tried to not conflict with scheduled 46r trail work days assuming that there schedule will be similar to the dates they had in 2011.
I look forward to completing the restoration effort on the tower this year. The remaining years on our Adopt a Natural Resource Agreement will hopefully be spent doing normal maintenance, trail work and possible re-route.
There are several contingencies that I cannot plan on at this time that will most likely be confirmed on short notice due to weather and other considerations. This includes the possible air-drop / air-lift of supplies and debris removal. I will definitely need help with this and hope that I can find some volunteers that will be available last minute and most likely mid week.
With any luck at all we will be able to airlift the concrete we need to restore one of the footings on the tower. Otherwise we will need a whole bunch of folks willing to carry 8-10 lbs of concrete to the top, surely this would be no more difficult than bringing the 42 stair treads up a couple years ago
Please consider setting aside a day or two to be a part of our volunteer project. I need your help.
Here are the dates and tentative plans for 2012

Saturday May 19th Cancelled see this post- Initial trail work and tower inspection. Though we did a thorough clearing and side cutting after Irene I have heard that there has been subsequent blow down I do not anticipate a lot but would like to get in during chainsaw season.
Please keep in mind that the suspension bridge over the Hudson is down and that the bridge over Lake Jimmy has also had report of damage after Irene.
Saturday June 2nd Postponed to the 16th due to Rain We will complete the work on the cab including installation of the last couple of windows and reinforcing the floor. I figure best to work high during early black fly season.
Saturday June 16th – Rain date for 6/2Completed Thank You!

Saturday June 30th - Railings and Fencing 99% Completed Thank You!

Saturday and Sunday July 14 – 15 concrete footings formed and poured Well had the concrete been up there that was the plan, We hauled concrete up instead, 140 lbs up another 100 to go. Obviously this task will take several trips over the rest of the summer

Saturday August 11th – Water to top, build forms for footers

Saturday August 25th NEW DATE Just Added- Pour new footers

Saturday September 15th New Date Trail Work and Misc.

Please send me a PM or post the days that you can join us so I can plan accordingly.
Thank you in advance for your help and support.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs

Last edited by adkjack; 07-20-2012 at 12:29 PM..
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote