Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
cityboy

Is there an unmarked trail from Adams to Allen?

This has puzzled me for some years now. Is there a shortcut from Mt. Adams Tower to Allen?

I don't remember the year but it was about a week or two before Adams tower first officially opened. I was sitting eating my lunch when a Ranger climbed up in the tower. We spoke for a while and both started back down the trail. Since I was extremely cautious heading down he soon pulled away. I remember that within minutes I heard no sound. I listened and never heard another sound. To say the least I was amazed and baffled. I actually thought he was hiding behind a tree somewhere it was so sudden.
He had mentioned that he was on his way to Allen. I assumed he would head back down the same trail he came up but now I wonder if there was a short cut trail about 200-300 yards down from the tower. I've checked the Topo but don't see anything. Any ideas?
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
richard1726

That's to long a walk to be called any type of "short cut". I've spent way too much time in the area SW of Allen's summit, (1 to 1.5 miles out at the 3000' contour) it's a mess loaded with big rotten logs like pickup sticks and dense spruce, but at least there weren't any cliffs.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
cityboy

He might not have intended to climb Allen. I've never been there but are there any leantos or common camping areas? I just checked the map and to head back down Adams to the main trail to Allen is about 5.5 miles to what looks like the end of Opalencent Rd near base of Allen. The shortcut would have saved him about 4 miles.

The Ranger descended like a mountain goat but as fast as he was going I certainly would have heard him below me as there was no leaves on trees. At the time I was in decent climbing shape but Adams is the only tower I've been to that takes longer down than up.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
adkjack
Admin

There is no short cut that utilizes any trail or HP. If you wanted to come off Adams and head towards Allen or the any other place along the East River trail there are several options for a bushwhack off the South side of the mountain especially below 3,000'. At one point lower down you actually cross an old logging road that if followed will bring you to the trail, well close enough. There are a lot of old skidder roads that run around the base of Adams, most of them contour the mountain so are not great in straight line direction.
I can tell you for sure that there is a lot of blow down in the col between Adams and Popple hill.
My guess is that the ranger a) may actually be that fast. or B) split off on the old logging road.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkjack View Post
I can tell you for sure that there is a lot of blow down in the col between Adams and Popple hill.
My guess is that the ranger a) may actually be that fast. or B) split off on the old logging road.
OK, thanks. I can't imagine going down that fast without breaking a leg. As I said I thought he was messing with me. I thought it eerie at the time but he probably was that fast.

Funny, it reminded me of a time on Colden where my nephew saw a girl walk by on the trail at the top and walked out to say hello and she was gone. We were eating lunch at the top but I had my back to the trail so never saw her. As I recall he was as perplexed as I was on Adams.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post

Funny, it reminded me of a time on Colden where my nephew saw a girl walk by on the trail at the top and walked out to say hello and she was gone. We were eating lunch at the top but I had my back to the trail so never saw her. As I recall he was as perplexed as I was on Adams.
There are only a few people who cover ground like that, her name was probably Inge.

Having climbed Adams a few times I've always wondered how far those skid roads traversed along the mountain
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote