Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
EJMartin

Question Wakely Tower

Myself, wife and daughter are headed up to Old Forge this weekend. Our daughter wants to hike to another tower and Wakely looks pretty doable for a 9 year old girl who is an outdoor nut.
Anything I need to know about this hike that may not be in the books I read about the tower hikes? Anyone been recently?
I did a previous post just over a year ago about Bald Mountain and posted some pics of me and my wife. She loved it so much that we brought our daughter back last April and did it with her. Thankfully my family has the itch to keep doing more and thought this would be a good one to rattle off before school starts for our daughter.

Thanks again for a great community of people who keep myself (and I'm sure others as well) wanting to keep coming back to the Adirondacks every chance I get!!
EJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
bridgeman

Pretty straight forward hike.
Approx. 1.8 mile fairly flat along an old jeep trail, then 0.7 of actual ascent.

If I remember correctly, Wakely is the tallest tower in the ADK's.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Telemarkmike

I measured about 2-1/4 miles of mostly flat, then about .9 to the summit. There was about 400 vertical gain on the approach, then about 1200' gain on the climb.

It took my wife and I about 3.5 hours round trip. She hikes at about an average pace. Great fire tower.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

After climbing the stairs to the landing at the top of the tower, there is a vertical ladder to access the cab. Nice hike, and yes, it's the tallest fire tower.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
EJMartin

Thank you all for the info.
EJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote