Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > ADKHighpeaks Foundation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Mavs00
I am the sith

Skilled Craftsmen (or women) needed

Hi all,

Being true to my word, I've been pretty quiet in here lately. But now I have to rear my ugly head back up.

As you all know, the ADKHighpeaks Foundation is restoring and reopening the Mt. Adams Firetower. Lot of work involved in it, and long story short, this is not as easy a project as it appears. We need to do some metal fabrication work to recreate a 100 y/o design metal roof for the structure.

That takes skills beyond my pathetic "can change a lightbulb" level. Please take a look as these two threads

BACKGROUND THREAD and WORK SCHEDULE Threads.

If you have some construction skills, particularly metal and fabrication skills, we could sure use a hand . The money for materials is already set aside, what we need is craftsmen (or women) to volunteer a little time to help us put back together this structure that mother nature and father time have both beat up on.

Specifically, for now, we need to fabricate the roof. Let me know, either in here or via PM. I KNOW that we have some people here with the skills involved.

Thanks...
Tim
Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Paradox6

Saw questions about plans. Recognized Aermotor as the brand of windmills all over West Texas, looks like this is a popular model tower based upon a windmill tower design. Lotsa hits, this is near me, has a picture: http://www.inclinerailway.org/Fast%2...on%20Tower.pdf They did recent reconstruction, might have plans.

Last edited by Paradox6; 02-24-2010 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: addition
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox6 View Post
Saw questions about plans. Recognized Aermotor as the brand of windmills all over West Texas, looks like this is a popular model tower based upon a windmill tower design. Lotsa hits, this is near me, has a picture: http://www.inclinerailway.org/Fast%2...on%20Tower.pdf They did recent reconstruction, might have plans.
I just got a hold of the plans. An inspection has been scheduled by DEC, and now we'll just need to get some willing volunteers to help craft this thing.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
I just got a hold of the plans. An inspection has been scheduled by DEC, and now we'll just need to get some willing volunteers to help craft this thing.
Tim,
Please tell us what skills are needed,the time involved,the age limitations[18 yr old wants to help] and any light-duty work I could help. tx Looncry
Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
Tim,
Please tell us what skills are needed,the time involved,the age limitations[18 yr old wants to help] and any light-duty work I could help. tx Looncry
Right now, we mostly need people with metalworking experience for this work weekend. We'll need strong 18 year old later for hauling stuff off the mountain though.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
Right now, we mostly need people with metalworking experience for this work weekend. We'll need strong 18 year old later for hauling stuff off the mountain though.
I see. Keep the TRs going. I share them with my step-dad and he has political in influence in areas of environmental issues. tx Looncry