Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Bark Eater Too

Wilson Ridge Trail - MRP - Question

Has anyone done the Wilson Ridge Trail from the Moose River Plains Road to Little Moose Lake? What sort of condition is it in? Is there signage where it leaves the MRP Road, or is it one of those "at the back of a campsite" kind of starts? Thanks much for any information.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_fo...riversouth.pdf
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
IndLk_Brett

I've hiked it for the first mile or so before leaving it to go off-trail. There's a big yellow gate where it meets the road on the left (if coming from Ced Rv Fl). I don't recall any signage, but it's pretty easy to spot if you keep an eye out when you're around the right place. There is no campsite, just the gate.

The trail is wide and well cleared, more a woods road than a trail - at least the part I've been on.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 06-07-2019 at 07:26 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Bark Eater Too

Thanks Brett!
Old 06-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
Thanks Brett!
You're welcome
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
Pauly D.

I was just looking exploring Little Moose last week Bark Eater. There's supposed to be a cut through trail off the NPT that's not shown on the DEC map. It's on my Nat Geo map though. If you go please report. I'll do the same. I'm thinking of going the week of June 17. See the link below for access from the NPT.

https://www.cnyhiking.com/MooseRiver...WildForest.htm
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
Bark Eater Too

Thanks Pauly. I haven't been on the NPT to Cedar Lakes in a while but do vaguely remember that cutover trail that you mention.

I will report back. I plan to be up again July 20 and will explore this one then.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The cutover trail is quite easy to follow.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Pauly D.

Quick update Bark Eater. I contacted DEC and there are no primitive campsites on Little Moose Lake. We need to use the 150' rule.

The remnants of an old building are visible via satellite. Not sure if this is one of the old great camps from days past? It would be a neat place to explore for sure.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The Wilson Ridge Trail was the road access to a private inholding on Little Moose Lake that reverted to state ownership about 10 years ago. It was one of things where the state bought the land decades ago but there was a "100 year lease" (not sure it was 100 years in this case but it was something like that) for a private camp on the land. That's why the road is in relatively good shape (compared to many of the other roads that branch off the MRP road), as it was being maintained for vehicle access relatively recently.

I hiked the loop from the south while camped at Cedar Lakes about 10 years ago- Cedar Lakes north to Lost Pond, then northeast to Little Moose Lake via the Otter Brook Truck Trail, then cross over to the NPT and hiking south back to the Cedar Lakes. As I recall, the Lost Pond Trail was tricky to follow in spots, but the rest of the loop was either on old roads or the NPT and generally was easy to follow (although I had to guess at a couple of unmarked junctions along the way). I do remember one bad spot of flooding (courtesy of beaver activity) near the outlet of Little Moose Lake- but in the 10 years since, that could've changed for better or for worse.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
Pauly D.

Thanks for the info D. I think I'm going to camp at one of the MRP road sites and do a day hike before lugging a bunch of fishing/camping gear with me.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #11
Bark Eater Too

Thanks guys for the history and information. Yes, I remember when Little Moose Lake was private, but couldn't remember how long ago the ownership had changed to the state. It will be fun to explore next month.
NE115 65/115
NJCOHP 21/21
PACOHP 14/67
Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Lucky13

http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org...0&pname=LITTLE MOOSE LAKE.

All what I have heard or seen on maps (link), but I'm told there is a very limited " hole" in Little Moose, in a large bay on the NE side of the lake, and potentially reached casting from shore. Lots of ~ 3 foot deep water, which stops being productive as soon as the pond starts to warm.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote