No announcement yet.

Moose river plains, sleepless night, "creature"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who camps in the MRPRA on a fairly regular basis, I'd be interested in knowing more about this incident and the others like it. The idea of a hermit or disturbed individual attacking or messing with campers is a bit disquieting to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by KIMPDOG View Post
      ..... Three times throughout the night it sprinted infront of the tent (we were inside laying down), we had a rock the size of a softball tossed against the tent, had a log about a foot long and four inches around (piece of our firewood) tossed at the tent, it came wishing feet of us about 10:30 PM while we were sitting at the fire, I got up to grab a bag of peanuts from the chuckbox and it ran back in the thick brush..... It wasn't a small "animal" because of how loud re thumps were.
      Please pardon the questions, but I'm curious why not investigate a little more right then and there what is going on?
      Too scared perhaps?
      Any photos to share to at least back up that you were indeed camping at site #44?

Over the years I've heard many strange noises while sitting by the campfire, or while lying in the tent, and almost always have grabbed my flashlight and went to look, or poked my head out of the tent to see what was happening.

For instance, in the spring of '13, while sleeping in my tent in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, I heard some movement by what seemed like a large animal in the brush not far from my tent. So I got up, grabbed my flashlight, and got out to see what it was, and whatever it was made a mad dash toward the pond and swam away, breathing heavily. My guess was a bear, since I never did get a visual.
      Also, last fall, while camping with a friend in a remote spot in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness and enjoying the evening campfire, we heard some movement in the brush from across the creek, followed by loud heavy breathing. (Story Here) Once again, I didn't hesitate to grab my flashlight, and walk out to see what it was, but it apparently made a silent getaway, and I never saw what it was. Again, my best guess was a bear.
      Granted, I never had rocks or logs thrown at my tent, but you can bet that I would at least make an effort to see what the heck is going on, but that's just me.
      Last edited by Justin; 07-26-2014, 05:22 PM. Reason: link

Comment

Justin, You have a dog with you , no? That is a beneficial cushion methinks. Personally I don't believe I would have any problems confronting any nuisance that I had the luck to encounter. And I travel without loyal companion or firearm. If I was with child I might think differently. I know , bold talk for a broken down old man. My point is there is nothing to be scared of in in the woods except maybe some astray Looney toon. But even a looney toon has enough sense to avoid reality. I am with you, all you have to be is real and everything will be ok. Good night!
        "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
          Justin, You have a dog with you , no? That is a beneficial cushion methinks.
          Yes, but not always, and she's a chicken sh!t.

Comment

Justin, the same question occurred to me. I can't imagine a scenario where things are being thrown against my tent, someone/thing is running through my campsite, and thumping loudly mere feet away and I don't investigate thouroughly. Just for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Comment

I saw an outdated summary (up to 2001) of crime statistics in Federal Parks. Average of about 4,000 per year (14 murders). Of course estimated visitors was over 400 million per year. I'm sure it occurs in the Adirondacks too but I imagine at a much lower rate. Whenever my wife asks me how I can go by myself I say I'd rather take a midnight walk in the woods than downtown.

Comment

Yes, but not always, and she's a chicken sh!t.
                I hope she doesn't read this forum, you may be in trouble.
                Zach

Comment

So, yes I was a bit timid when it came to confronting whatever was messing with us. As for pictures I have a few... I'll have to figure out how to upload them. When these noises were happening I would immediately look out from the tent towards the noises. I would just stare out of the tent for 10-15 minutes at a time... It wouldn't make any noise until my head would hit the pillow. Then I would look again and no noises... What ever it was waited until early in the morning (3-4 AM) before it started running infront of the tent and it didn't hurl the rock or log at the tent. The rock was kinda tossed from a few feet away. I don't believe there was any intent to harm us, just mess with us. The log I believe was tossed a little harder from near the firepit towards the tent but it never hit the tent. I can garuntee this log was to ised at us just because it was a seasons piece of hardwood and it was sitting in the open. All of Friday and Saturday I scavenged all of the wood within 50 yards of the campsite so we would have plenty if wood to burn. After being harassed before we went to bed Saturday night I LOADED up the fire with every piece of wood we had left... There was nothing to burn even remotely close to our site... Lemme find how to upload some picks of our camping trip....

Comment

Photo of site 44

Here is a photo of site 44
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kim, unfortunately your image (and Avatar photo) are not uploaded correctly and are not visible.

Did you go back this weekend, anything new to report?

Comment

Sounds like a big deer ,but usually you would hear grunts or a snort or two , What I would be concerned about from your first post is when you said it didn't touch 2 days worth of trash ,so you didn't think it was a scavenger . Up here in the Northern Part of the ADKs. Leaving any trash not hanging when out in the woods or in a good container at home is like an open invitation to any bear in smelling distance and out in the back country they might not be too reasonable about sticking just with the trash. .

Comment

moose river plains

Myself and friends camped there last august, the only thing unusual during the trip, was my dogs behavior. He would not settle down for a minute, he paced, whined, and cried the entire 3 days we were there. He is used to deer and coyotes, and bear being around. We live in the country and he has gone camping with us many many time with no issues. Very strange for him..he is a giant breed dog. Usually without a care in the world. We were near helldiver.

Comment

Thumps in the woods?

Site 84 by any chance? I was there in the fall and my buddy and I kept hearing thumping noises. We never figured it out until I returned home and found it was a roughed grouse tree thumping.

Comment

There are moose in that area too.
                              "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Can you possibly repost the photo? I'd like to see what this "thing" looks like.

Comment

Working...
                                X