Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
gbrown@gdbrown.net

Duck Hole - Crowded?

Hello All!

Thinking about hiking into Duck Hole next Wed and Thurs with my lab. Never been there. Is it crowded this time of year? Just trying to figure out what I should expect.

Thanks

Jerry
gbrown@gdbrown.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
RC
Woods Runner

I hiked past there on thursday and there were people at duck hole. Other than that I don't know how busy it is.

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #3
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown@gdbrown.net
Hello All!

Thinking about hiking into Duck Hole next Wed and Thurs with my lab. Never been there. Is it crowded this time of year? Just trying to figure out what I should expect.
I've been there several times, and there were usually people. However, we once spent one decadent entire day in August there, sunny and warm, with not a soul in sight until evening when a group of (nice) college students moved into leanto #1 by the dam. In general, I'd go expecting not to be alone.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

In May we had the place to ourselves for an enitre friday and friday night. Then saturday came and we had a small township of hikers. Summer tends to bring out a lot of NPT and group hikers, so don't count on a lean-to (bring a tent). Regardless of people, you should go anyway. Duck Hole is really an awesome spot!

When you return be sure to visit www.saveduckhole.com . It needs your help!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
Rick
Bad Seed

I agree that August weekends are a little busier, however, midweek is hit or miss, the biggest factor being a college or scout troop outing that brings a big noisy group out. I do think DH has gotten a little busier on the last couple of years (maybe it is becoming a retirement hike for the old 46ers with bad knees??)

I used to go into DH annually in Mid-September - Mid October and there would be weeks where no one had come through (according to the L/T Registers)

Last edited by Rick; 08-17-2005 at 09:59 PM..
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I agree that August weekends are a little busier, however, midweek is hit or miss, the biggest factor being a college or scout troop outing that brings a big noisy group out.
Now that I think of it, I do seem to have come across more college "orientation" groups in recent years than usual in the last part of August, and not just at DH.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
Wildernessphoto

You never know what your going to get at Duck Hole. Being a cross road for so many trails, you may have no one for days, and then 60 people. The Collage kids will be going back to school mid-August, so the crowds should lessen. Your best bet is from now to fall foliage peak.

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote