Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #21
Frosty
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
I left my(then brand new) car at the northern terminus for 11 days and felt safe doing it. It was okay when I got to it...just a bit dusty.
That's good to hear. Thanks.

I see you did this hike last year, right?

I am wondering about sending a mail drop to Piseco or whether I can buy food there to get me to Long Lake Village (where I am told I can buy food to get me the rest of the way). Do you recall what was available in Piseco?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #22
shaggy
Shaggy

I just got back from a thru-hike of the NPT this weekend. we did it from 7/5/05 - 7/14/05. There is going to be bugs and wet trail conditions along the way, but don't let them stop you. The trail is well marked except for the road walking part. The McCane's resort on the Cedar River Road is closed so call for permission. We left one car at each end in the DEC parking lot and they were both fine. You are going to find yourself driving between trailheads saying to yourself "I can't believe that I am going to be dragging my gear all the way back to my car!" My advice to you is do the best you can to keep your shoes/boots dry and try not to get sick of pumping water. It was a wonderful experience, and I would definitely do it again (as soon as my blisters heal up)

Enjoy it

Shaggy
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #23
shaggy
Shaggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty

I am wondering about sending a mail drop to Piseco or whether I can buy food there to get me to Long Lake Village (where I am told I can buy food to get me the rest of the way). Do you recall what was available in Piseco?
there is very little in Piseco compared to Long Lake, so be prepared for that. I believe there is a general store called the oxbow (?) but we missed it. I think that it is to the right of the road crossing (going north) and we passed it thinking that we would hit something once we got into town more, but there was nothing and we did not want to backtrack. I am a large advocate of the mail drop in both locations. My buddy's package never showed up in Long Lake and we had to buy food at Stewart's (Seward's) and alot of it was bulkier and heavier (canned goods) than if I perpared it at home. Mail them early, and expect to pay like 8-9 bucks for each one.

Shaggy
Old 07-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #24
Frosty
Geezer

Thanks, Shaggy and Fvrwld and Redhawk and Riosacandaga.

Sometimes I wonder how I ever got by planning things before the Internet.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:33 AM   #25
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Question about McCains.

Isn't the new policy there NOT TO CALL and that it's OK if you are a trough hiker?

Or am I incorrect in thinking I heard somewhere that it had changed this year?

And there is that little store directly (almost) across the street from the Whitehouse-Piseco trailhead. I believe he is closed on Mondays.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 AM   #26
Peebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoty2982
i am planning on doing the NPT this august and was just curious as to the car situation...i'm coming from buffalo, and may only have 1 car available. was wondering the possibilities of hitching, shuttles or if anyone else is going to be near there at the time and wouldnt mind earning a few bucks. if worse comes to worse though i may just have to convince my parents that they need a nice weekend in placid so they can pick my ass up.
I'm leaving on the 23 of August from Silver Creek(just south of BUff) I'm heading up till the 3rd of Sept. If it works for you let me know.

Red Hawk you are correct. If you are thru hiking don't call. Just hike. The problem was people left alot of garbage there and he got pissed. Can't blame em.

We're hiking to the Lake Durant campground and resuppling there. This way it saves the 10+ mile walk to LL. We plan on camping there the night before we leave so we're hoping(calling soon) to leave a package there and then pick it up when we camp there on night 4.

Its nice to hear about the current status of the trail. Thanx guys.
Peebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #27
RC
Woods Runner

The policy is "do not call" and thru hikers only are allowed to use that part of the trail.

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #28
Frosty
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebut
We're hiking to the Lake Durant campground and resuppling there. This way it saves the 10+ mile walk to LL.
Is it that far to Long Lake Village from the trail? I was planning on a maildrop to LLV. I have the 1994 trail guide (which I'm told is the latest) has LLV only a mile and a half from the trail (3 miles round trip).
Old 07-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #29
Frosty
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
And there is that little store directly (almost) across the street from the Whitehouse-Piseco trailhead. I believe he is closed on Mondays.
Is that the store in Piseco? I'll be rolling though on Monday Aug 1. I'm going to use a maildrop, but had hoped to supplement a little at the store. Not to mention cold drink and/or ice cream....
Old 07-20-2005, 09:04 PM   #30
Peebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
Is it that far to Long Lake Village from the trail? I was planning on a maildrop to LLV. I have the 1994 trail guide (which I'm told is the latest) has LLV only a mile and a half from the trail (3 miles round trip).
Your right. Its 10 to Blue Mt Lake Village.(I think) Sorry.
Peebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #31
billmac

Forgive the naive question, but has anyone considered caching food at various trailheads along the way? My son and I are considering doing the trail next summer,and we thought it might be a good idea. Maybe it's considered littering or something.
billmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #32
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
Forgive the naive question, but has anyone considered caching food at various trailheads along the way? My son and I are considering doing the trail next summer,and we thought it might be a good idea. Maybe it's considered littering or something.
It's common practice, along with posting a package of food to the Post Offices. The problem is that once you go back in heading North at Long Lake, you don't have anyplace to drop or pick up a cache.

WHat might work if you had a decent amount of people who wantd to do it would be to start one party from the North and another from the south. Each would carry food for themselves and to cache for the other party, taking gps co-ords of the caches. Of course the food would have to be sealed in waterproof odorproof containers.

Once both parties met and swapped co-ordinates half way, they would not be carrying any food other then trail snacks for the second half of the trip.

The more this goes up, the more I am thinking of caching food on the trail for through hikers for a fee.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #33
eArThworm

Parking at Lake Durant?

I was thinking of leaving a car at the Lake Durant Campground, so that when
I arrived there midway on a S->N hike of the N-P Trail, I would have
transportation to get to Blue Mtn. Lake PO and stores and also the ADK
Museum. Anyone know whether there's a place in the campground where
long-term parking is allowed?
eArThworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #34
Moose
Administrator

There is parking on both sides of Rt 30 where the trail crosses it. I left my car (2001 Maxima) for 4 days last year and no one bothered it.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #35
shaggy
Shaggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eArThworm
I was thinking of leaving a car at the Lake Durant Campground, so that when
I arrived there midway on a S->N hike of the N-P Trail, I would have
transportation to get to Blue Mtn. Lake PO and stores and also the ADK
Museum. Anyone know whether there's a place in the campground where
long-term parking is allowed?
just north of stephens pond (i think, no map handy) you can take a left (northwest) onto the red trail into town. This is a beautiful route and has one of the neatest floating bridges that I have ever walked on. then you can get out to a parking lot, pass a cemetary, walk right on durant road, and left in 28 or 30 (don't remember) into town. you can walk by all of that stuff, and then continue to walk out of town, up the hill past the museum, and then hop on the trail that goes just north of blue mountain, and hike to Tirell pond. That is what we did, roughly the same milage give or take a few, and you don't have to stash a car. Tirrell pond (the northern leanto) was one of my favorite stops along the way. Do you have to do it this way? no, but it is something to consider. hitting town on foot was great. we ate at the blue mountain grill and then also pigged out at a general store on the corner of 28 and 30. good times

shaggy
Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #36
trailrunner3

I am also planning a thru-hike of the NPT this august and was wondering about blowdown following the heavy windstorms in February. A source at the HPIC said the southern half of the NPT was hit particularly bad. I remember seeing a post about several readers doing thru hikes over the winter and wondered if anyone had an update on trail conditions.
trailrunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #37
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrunner3
I am also planning a thru-hike of the NPT this august and was wondering about blowdown following the heavy windstorms in February. A source at the HPIC said the southern half of the NPT was hit particularly bad. I remember seeing a post about several readers doing thru hikes over the winter and wondered if anyone had an update on trail conditions.
We (meaning concerned NPT hikers and sectional NPT hikers) are currently in a fact finding mission to answer this exact question. The southern end is supposedly already problematic from storms a few years ago, and the early Fall 2005 snow and numerous wind storms since are likely to compound that issue. I happen to know that several miles that were clogged along Cedar Lakes are cleared as of last summer. That's a small chunk and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more new blowdown since...

Once we have more information it will become available. Supposedly there's also going to be a website dedicated to just posting information concerning the NPT. It's in the works and will definitely be out by time you leave for your trip this summer. Between now and then we're trying to get people to report what they find on the trail to sites like this and other adirondack topic based forums so we can start keeping track of the work that needs to get done, then doing it.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #38
Dick
somewhere out there...

FYI, there is a group of us from this forum are planning a thruhike of the NPT this summer, probably beginning sometime in the second week of August. A core of us (about 4 or so) will be hiking the entire trail, with a few joining us for parts of it.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #39
trailrunner3

Quote:
there is a group of us from this forum are planning a thruhike of the NPT this summer, probably beginning sometime in the second week of August.
Excellent. I look forward to seeing you (and your friends) on the trail. I am planning on hiking the length of the trail following the Bar Exam in July. Right now the tenative start date is Aug. 13th. I have enlisted a family friend who hiked the trail in the past as an advisor and I have been peppering him with NPT specific questions, but any and all help provided here is a great resource.

Another quick question: Footwear. I've always hiked in trailrunning shoes in the past. Is this trail suited for those or should I opt for the sturdier hiking boot? We are planning on putting in some serious mileage each day due to time constraints. Advice?
trailrunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #40
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrunner3
Another quick question: Footwear. I've always hiked in trailrunning shoes in the past. Is this trail suited for those or should I opt for the sturdier hiking boot? We are planning on putting in some serious mileage each day due to time constraints. Advice?
I prefer boots, but I think the trail could be done fine with trailrunners. The trail is mostly wooded valley walking. You may want to consider wearing gators, as you will run into muddy sections throughout the trail.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote