Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #41
mrbubbles
Double Runner

Is this an FKT for the NPT??
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #42
Tim Seaver
Photo-runner

Quote:
Is this an FKT for the NPT??
That is the big question at this point.

Until I can confirm from somebody that Richard Denker used the same start and end points ( regardless of direction of travel), I cannot claim to have broken his record -that is, if he ran the entire 133 miles from the Northville Bridge to Averyville ( or possibly into lake Placid) in 40 hours, it would be a stretch to say that I "beat his time". I am trying to find out if there is a person who is an expert/history buff of the NPT that might know, as I have failed to contact Mr. Denker as of yet despite numerous searches and phone calls. He would most likely be in his 50's to 70's by now.

Hopefully we wil find out soon..the suspense is killing me!
Tim Seaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #43
RC
Woods Runner

Tim,

Any real trouble spots on the trail to report ? We leave tomorrow morning from Placid.

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #44
Tim Seaver
Photo-runner

RC, no real troubles to report - most of the trail was unusually dry - I hardly even got my shoes wet. Much of the mud was firm enough to step in without sinking. There has been fresh trail work and clearing from Long Lake to Lake Durant ( and the formerly flooded boardwalks just North of Durant can be crossed without submerging your boots now)What I found most mystifying was that the "red tape re-lo" North of Stephens Pond above McCanes somehow isn't there anymore That's about all that I can remember of note.

The deerflies, however, are still hellacious, biting and swarming incessantly right until the headlights come out - but you probably knew that!

Best of luck on your trip, that's going to be a heck of a pace to keep with 30 lbs!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #45
RC
Woods Runner

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for the red tape or lack of it. My pack is 32lbs , but 12 of it is food and water. We both have monday off so we can take 5 days if needed. We will see how it goes.

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #46
Tim Seaver
Photo-runner

RC - the re-lo was very well marked before it disappeared, and there was spooky signage at one of the junctions that said something to the effect of "Beaver activity south of Stephens Pond will impede travel" ( I love the vagueness of that) There was an tree overhanging the trail loaded with red tape - the re-lo trail ( about 10 minutes) took a sharp left and made a crescent to the right, going through a soft, dry boggy area and re-joining the trail over lumpy terrain - it had a combination of red ribbons and more than a few blue discs, which is why I was suprised that it was gone. So either the beavers were nuked and trail restored, or I hallucinated my way right through it

On another note, I contacted the ADK today and was directed to somebody at the Schenectady Chapter who may know more about Richard Denkers journey, and hope to be hearing from them soon.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #47
mrbubbles
Double Runner

Quote:
On another note, I contacted the ADK today and was directed to somebody at the Schenectady Chapter who may know more about Richard Denkers journey, and hope to be hearing from them soon.
The suspense is killing me!!!
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #48
Tim Seaver
Photo-runner

Epilogue

There is an interview on North Country Public Radio today about my run.

Also, a write-up can be found at Adirondack Sports & Fitness

Thanks to Darryl at ADK Sports and Fitness, who tracked down the original record holder, I was able to exchange a few emails with him (Richard Denker).

Here's an interesting quote from his letter:
Quote:
My Explorer Post leader came up with the idea. I remember his reason for doing the run was to bring attention to the trail – I guess it was falling into some disrepair.
He ran much of the trail for the first time DURING the event, wearing cloth cross country shoes, at a time where long distance trail running was a rarity - at 18 years old! Pretty amazing stuff
Old 11-17-2005, 03:21 PM   #49
shaggy
Shaggy

I was wondering how that went. On Saturday I was sitting down at a coffe shop thumbing through the Adirondack Sports & Fitness and I saw that article!! I told my girlfriend right away "Hey look, it is that guy that I saw on the trail this summer who was trying to run the entire trail!" I had told her the story a few times and she knew right away. I felt like I knew a celebrity even though we only exchanged a quick "hi" in the rain on your attempt #1. Congrats!!!!

Shaggy
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #50
BarbOrdell
Running Barefoot

Tim, Did you ever confirm with the boyscout the actual start and stop points of his record run?
BarbOrdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #51
Tim Seaver
Photo-runner

Barb, we did find out his start and end points...here is an excerpt of a post made at viewsfromthetop.com:

....He started at the Wescott Farm in Averyville, which was the terminus before 1978. Increased traffic on the trail led to relocating the section North of Wanika Falls to follow the east bank of the Chubb River to the Avervyville Road, a change which added 2.6 miles to this section of the trail (2.6 miles longer from Wanika falls to where the trail intersects the road - it doesn't add 2.6 miles to the overall course length)

On the south end, he finished at "Benson Center", which I am measuring as being at the junction where Trailhead Lodge is - this is .6 further than the current trailhead, which is on the Godfrey Road.

Overall, my 2005 route is roughly 2 miles longer ( not including the road sections outside of the 122 mile end-to-end points)
His overall time was 40 hours and 20 minutes ( ours was 37:31)

Richard Denkers Record of Trip
and
Support Team List
and the mandatory
Pace Comparison