Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Northville-Lake Placid Trail

Edelweiss, Dick, Neil, Hakuna Matada, Judgeh, Peanut Butter, Redhawk, Skyclimber 2971w... and all, thanks so much for the welcome. So...Hawk is proposing stategy . I welcome that since I'm still fairly new to being a woodsperson - actually, maybe I'm a woodsprincess. So, yeah, NP trail anybody up for it? Dick and Joanne (also a Cranie?) cool! Peanut Butter and Son? Let's stay in touch about this, OK?
wyldeflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Edelweiss

Hi Wyldeflower (and fellow Cranie)-

Dick and I have wanted to thruhike the NP for some time now. Let's talk more about this. Maybe fvrwld could give us some more detailed suggestions since she hiked the trail last year. I like Hawk's idea for storing food caches which would work if we had two larger groups traveling from opposite directions. Our son Dan also hikes and backpacks. If his work schedule permits, I might be able to persuade him to join us for at least a portion of the trip.

Last edited by Edelweiss; 10-29-2005 at 07:06 PM..
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldeflower
So...Hawk is proposing stategy . I welcome that since I'm still fairly new to being a woodsperson - actually, maybe I'm a woodsprincess. So, yeah, NP trail anybody up for it?
We're definitely up for it. We've been hiking for some time, but I'd want to hear more about Redhawk's strategy, which I've heard about but never actually tried. Seems to me that both groups would have to be large enough so as to be able manage additional food for the first half of the trip, and both groups would have to travel a specified number of miles for a specified number of days in order to meet half-way. Does the overall terrain allow this (I've only section hiked it)? If there were an emergency of some sort in one group, that could put the other group in jeopardy. Redhawk, help me through my muddled thinking here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldeflower
Dick and Joanne (also a Cranie?) cool!
Edelweiss is the Cranie; guess I'm an "Eastmanie"

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
We're definitely up for it. We've been hiking for some time, but I'd want to hear more about Redhawk's strategy, which I've heard about but never actually tried. Seems to me that both groups would have to be large enough so as to be able manage additional food for the first half of the trip, and both groups would have to travel a specified number of miles for a specified number of days in order to meet half-way. Does the overall terrain allow this (I've only section hiked it)? If there were an emergency of some sort in one group, that could put the other group in jeopardy. Redhawk, help me through my muddled thinking here.

Edelweiss is the Cranie; guess I'm an "Eastmanie"

Dick
First I think these posts should be moved to the trip plannibg section.

An no, you don't have to have a large party to carry the "extra" food for the other party. You forget, you are not carrying the food you will be eating for the second half because the other party is carrying that. Both groups are carrying the same amount of food they would if they were hiking normally.
Both groups are also losing twice as much food weight at each camp since they are eating a days food and caching a days food. At halfway, no one will be carrying any of the dinner food for the rest of the trip.

If one group starts South and the other north on the same day and hike at about the same speed, then they should meet half way. Allow one extra days food just in case. When the hike is planned, the camping spots for each group should be planned in advance (along with an alternate "just in case")
I figure they would meet somewhere in the Lake Durant Area.

You just need to be sure that one person in each group has a gps and make sure you have enough batteries.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
First I think these posts should be moved to the trip plannibg section.
done
Old 10-29-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
fvrwld

I would be nervous about leaving food for such a long time in the woods. And 5-6 days worth of food for 2 people is a lot to carry. Also, wouldn't it be more fun to hike with that person instead of meeting them halfway.

When I did the NPT my brother met me at Lake Durant campground with my food for the second half. He also brought me fresh clothes and a good dinner for that night. My suggestion would be to do that if at all possible. The trail goes right past the Piesco postoffice so you could mail yourself food there. They have wierd hours so check that out first.

I did it in 10 days but would suggest doing it in 11. Six days to lake Durant and 5 for the second half. Plan on going by Piesco on day 3, then the most you are ever carrying is 5 days worth of food. With a group sharing gear everyone could easily get in under 40 pounds.

Depending on when you do it I may be able to join you for a section. Maybe I could even bring you a food drop

Kim(rnc1968) at Back to the Basics may be able to help as well with food drops and shuttles.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
whitefoot

northville-placid trail

is this a open group trip?if so , id like to go if there is room , i did the trail this past summer and would like to do it again next yr with a group.
Bryan
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #8
dog

food-drinks

I would supply food-drinks at points . But what, where and when ? Good luck anyway. RedHawk said, it's easier from LP ( up-down ) .
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #9
whitefoot

NPT trail

when i did the trail this summer i did it from N to S and it seemed like i was always going uphill, havent done the whole trail from S to N so i dont really know which way is easier, food drops i dont really think are neccesary but a nice hot cooked meal and some cold beers would be awsome, Kim@ back to basics tried to do just that for me last yr. at sagandaga river but missed me by a couple of hrs. i was very disapointed when i returned to her house and found that out.
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
rnc1968
BackToBasics

Depending on your itinerary's, Kim will be more than happy to provide the drops, shuttles, and a real meal; just let me know?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #11
RC
Woods Runner

If the timing is right I would like to get in on this. I hiked from placid to blue mountain lake in a day and a half last fall.

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #12
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC
If the timing is right I would like to get in on this. I hiked from placid to blue mountain lake in a day and a half last fall.

RC
Isn't that almost half the trail?!? If so, that's not hiking, that's flying! No way I'm going that fast, even if I could, which I can't!

I'm thinking late July or early August, but we're flexible on that.

Dick
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #13
RC
Woods Runner

I think it was 54 miles. We would have made better time, but we took a side trip on the old horse trail by duck pond to the old lean tos. The water was so low in cold river we walked almost 2 miles right down it to rejoin the ntp trail. The water was knee deep most of the way. We only had to get out of the river 3 or 4 times to avoid water that was hip deep. I was only carrying a 30lbs pack.

RC

Last edited by RC; 11-22-2005 at 06:59 AM..
Old 11-21-2005, 11:09 PM   #14
Boreal Chickadee

So, if you carry ALL our packs will it slow you down enough for us to keep up with you??

54 miles in 1.5 days is 36 miles per day! Do you breathe? You know, air, like the rest of us?
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:03 AM   #15
RC
Woods Runner

It was a pretty good time. We did it as a test hike for a planned 4 day non-supported thru hike for this coming spring or fall.I almost dropped my brother-in-law off in blue mountain and continued on alone, but I knew my wife would not have been too happy with me. I also knew the dangers of an unplanned hike of that lenght alone were not worth the danges involved.

RC
Old 02-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
Dick
somewhere out there...

I thought I would refresh this thread to see how many people are still interested in NP trail thruhike this summer, and to get an idea as to when people can and cannot go. I believe the following people have expressed some interest (sorry if I omitted anyone):

Wyldeflower
RC
Peanut Butter
Whitefoot
Dick
Edelweiss
Silverback
Rick (possibly a part of the trail)
Val (possibly a part of the trail)

That's a large group!

Dick
Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #17
AdkWiley

I'm thinking about doing the npt this summer as well with my g/f and maybe a few other people. I'm not sure when we are planning our trip, prob july aug as well depending on work and classes. Maybe we'll run into eachother! THis will be my first long distance hike like this, im excited. Plan to do lots of smaller trips through out out the summer to get ready for it.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
AntlerPerak

Have a good trip Wiley it is a fine trail. Allow an extra day or so just for doing nothing. You never know what crazyness will occur. All of the shelters in the West Canadas/Cedars are fine places to stay as in the Long Lake Cold River section. The trouble is you can't stay at all of them, that would be nice but who has that kind of time. The one on the side trail at Brook Trout Lake about a mile or so west of Big West Canada is also a fine spot. The thing that strikes me about the N-P is how unique it is. There are almost no long trails in the east that traverse between one beautiful lake after another. As you likely know most are along ridges avoiding vallies. The closest thing I found was the northern section of the AT in Maine's 100 mile wilderness that was awesome as well.
AntlerPerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #19
RC
Woods Runner

Depending on the timing I'm still interested in making this trip.

RC
Old 03-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #20
sloch24

Timing is everything

I'm planning on starting this hike on the week of July 10. I figured it should take me about 10 - 12 days from South to North (I've only got two weeks vacation and it takes a day to get there from Ohio.) If you're planning your trip the same time, it would be nice to have some company...

On a seperate note, does anyone have any suggestions when hiking with a dog, how to get my car up to the north end, and start at the south? I have talked to Kim at B2B, and she told me that she could probably arrange something, but I hate to put people out. Are there hotels, or lodging nearby that allow pets? I was considering staying in a hotel the first night, dropping off the dog, and then making the trip up, and taking the bus back, but I'm not sure if there is lodging close to the start of the southern end.
sloch24 is offline   Reply With Quote