Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
camp43

ADK Trail Maps

Hi,

Are there any commercial trail maps of the ADK that are recommended here? I have the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps for a few area but I'm looking for something a with a little more detail and up to date. I really like the NYNJTC maps for the Catskills. Is there anything similar available for the ADKs?

Thanks

Camp43
camp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
MTVhike

Get the new ADK High Peaks map, published by the ADK. Much better than the Nat Geo ones.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

As MTVhike states, the ADK has a map set for the High Peaks that is superior to the National Geographic maps (greater level of detail concerning the terrain, and also shows designated tent sites).

The ADK used to publish maps for the rest of the park, but they've been discontinued in favor of the National Geographic maps. They weren't really all that much better, though- the big advantage of the ADK High Peaks Map, the designated tent sites, was largely missing from the other ADK paper maps.

Last edited by DSettahr; 01-17-2017 at 09:21 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
Wldrns

Of course the Discover the Adirondacks series of trail guide books. Detailed descriptions of trails, acess, and interesting historical tidbits as well.
http://hiketheadirondacks.com/page.p...ondacks_Series
Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
Wldrns

NYSDEC Google Maps and Earth
http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/42978.html
http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/103457.html
Old 01-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Buckladd

I still prefer just a good old Topographic Map that you can download a customized version of at mytopo.com Many stores still carry them too, including Hoss' in Long Lake. Just find someone that sells true paper topo maps and you can get the quad(s) you need.

I make my own hunting maps all the time. Just go to this website: http://www.adirondack-park.net/topo/ (or google maps, or whatever). Once you have on screen what you want to see on paper you can either print the screen or save it as file. I usually load the file into a image program, edit it and then print it.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
arvinsmee

The NatGeo maps are really bad - I've found them to be inaccurate, sometimes showing trails as much as a half mile from where they actually are They also tend to underestimate mileage. I tend to make my own from crowd sourced gpx data over a USGS 7.5'.
arvinsmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
IndLk_Brett

Many times I find it helpful use an app and switch between a USGS topo map and an Open Street map which may show more current trails plus lean-tos and camp sites. That way I have both the terrain and the features when planning a trip.

My go to is 'All-in-One Offline Maps' because it makes it easy to save portions of a map for use with out any internet service. However, there are a number of apps out there that do the same thing. Just a personal preference.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 01-18-2017 at 04:09 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Trail Boss

OpenStreetMap - Crowd-sourced Mapping

Using data I collected during my hikes this year, and tracklogs from Wikiloc and Strava, I've added/modified 90% of the trails in the High Peaks region. If you use OpenStreetMap, you're probably looking at trails, lean-to's, campsites, privies, foot-bridges, trail-head parking areas, viewpoints, and trail-registers that I added/modified over the last half-year.

If you're not certain it's OpenStreetMap (OSM), look at the map's bottom right corner. You may be surprised to discover how many online maps use OSM as their source.

For example, Thunder Forest Outdoors is a map sourced from OSM. You can access is via Caltopo using the "TF Outdoors" layer:
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.11...8176&z=17&b=oo

Here's the same spot on Lake Colden in:
OpenStreetMap:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/44.11939/-73.98310

OpenCycleMap:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17...98176&layers=C

GaiaGPS:
https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?lat=44....TopoRasterFeet

Suunto Movescount:
http://www.movescount.com/map?lat=44...suunto-offroad

If your phone has a GPS app, it probably provides access to "free maps" and these maps are typically from OpenStreetMap. Many GPS apps also offer the ability to download maps to your phone and use them offline.

You can also download US Topo quads from the USGS National Map:
https://nationalmap.gov/
However, the latest ones (US Topo), as pretty as they are, don't show hiking trails. The older ones (USGS 7.5' Topo) do show hiking trails but these maps were surveyed decades. The accuracy of the depicted trails isn't the best (trails have been added, rerouted, or closed over the past 30+ years). If you enjoy off-trail travel (bushwhacking) then the USGS 7.5' Topo quads are valuable references.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 01-18-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I still prefer just a good old Topographic Map that you can download a customized version of at mytopo.com Many stores still carry them too, including Hoss' in Long Lake. Just find someone that sells true paper topo maps and you can get the quad(s) you need.

I make my own hunting maps all the time. Just go to this website: http://www.adirondack-park.net/topo/ (or google maps, or whatever). Once you have on screen what you want to see on paper you can either print the screen or save it as file. I usually load the file into a image program, edit it and then print it.
Buckladd, Great post thanks for sharing!
I wasn't aware of that one.
I also like to print out many of my own maps, mostly for off-trail adventures, and then drawing in my own own declination lines to help with compass readings, and then wrapping the maps in clear packaging tape to help protect them from moisture.

Another website that I like to use for saving topo images with the contour intervals in "feet" rather than "meters" is the 1950's Quads found Here.

Last edited by Justin; 01-18-2017 at 07:51 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #11
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
...go to this website: http://www.adirondack-park.net/topo/ (or google maps, or whatever). Once you have on screen what you want to see on paper you can either print the screen or save it as file. I usually load the file into a image program, edit it and then print it.
Instead of screen scraping maps, use caltopo.com.
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.11...98077&z=15&b=t
  • You can select USGS 7.5' Topo or Google Map or one of a dozen other maps. If you dislike contours in meters choose "MapBuilder Topo" which displays a topo map with contours in feet.
  • You can optionally add shading to the map to make the slopes more visible.
  • You can overlay maps. For example, overlay USGS 7.5' Topo with Google Satellite.
  • You can display an imported track on the map or draw a new route and waypoints.
Once you're done prepping the map (all optional of course), click "Print to PDF or JPG". You'll be given the choice of page size, orientation, map scale, display grid lines and/or lat/long lines, etc.

The finished product will look like a commercially prepared map, right down to the magnetic declination arrow. Caltopo will also create a link to your map which you can share with your hiking/hunting companions and they can view it and/or print a copy for themselves (the links expire after a week). Here's an example of 1:24000 scale map in JPG format (this link will expire in 7 days, namely on Jan 25th): http://caltopo.com/i/3N3T

Caltopo is free and it can do much more than what I've described. There's also a paid version but the free one satisfies most people's needs.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #12
Wldrns

There's also another free version of caltopo (sartopo.com) that caters to needs of SAR planning with things such as search area blocks and other useful functions.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
Buckladd

Never used Caltopo, looks pretty cool especially the arial overlays. Thanks for sharing, TB.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Trail Boss

Caltopo has so many useful features it's worth a thread all of its own! Here are a few teasers:

Would you like to know if your campsite will be illuminated by sunrise?
  1. Click "Add New Layer" and select "Add Sunlight Analysis".
  2. Give the layer a name.
  3. Select the month and date (1st or 15th of the month).
  4. Select a time shortly after sunrise.
  5. Optionally select "Adjust for intensity"
The map will now show where shadows will be cast and everything in yellow represents sunlit areas. You can also use this to determine the best spot to enjoy the last rays of the setting sun.

Ever wonder which peaks are visible from a mountain's summit?
You could use peakfinder.org or you can use caltopo.com.
  1. Right-click the top of the mountain (or wherever).
  2. Select "Point Info > View from here"
Caltopo will draw a "wireframe" view of the distant peaks. You can zoom in and pan around. Up in the upper righthand corner you can change from wireframe to other representations. Try "WireTopo"! You can also change the elevation (default is 100 feet above the selected point on the map).

Want to know the bearing from your campsite to some point like a lake or summit?
  1. In the menu select "Measure > Take Bearing"
  2. Click on the campsite.
  3. Double-click on the destination.
Caltopo will display the bearing (magnetic and true) and the distance (km/miles).

Want to know the NOAA weather forecast for a given area?
  1. Right-click the campsite/lake/mountain you plan to visit.
  2. Select "Point Info > NOAA Forecast"

Last edited by Trail Boss; 01-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Typo.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Any word on what happened to the "Export to Google Earth" option on Caltopo?
I used to love that feature & used it often, but for some reason I haven't seen that option, or have been able to find it for a while now.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #16
Trail Boss

I browsed Caltopo's Blog posts and found this one issued January 2016. They announced three features related to Google Earth but I only see one of them, namely "Export > Download KML File".

Even when I log in with my (free) account, I don't see the other two Google Earth features mentioned in the blog post. I assume they have been eliminated from free accounts and are now only available in the paid version.

Currently, for free accounts, "Export > Download KML File" allows you to export and download a KML version of whatever lines, waypoints, etc you've drawn on the map.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 01-19-2017 at 10:44 PM..