History of Cedar River Flow/Buell Brook/Dillion Brook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Cedar River Flow/Buell Brook/Dillion Brook

I am looking for any information out there about the logging operations on Cedar River Flow, as well as the old logging camps on Buell/Dillion/Little Squaw Brooks.

I hunt/Camp/Hike this area every year, and I am always amazed at the old timbers, nails, and remnant roads that I find in the woods. I have even found an old marked trail that is no longer maintained on Buck Mountain.

I have visited the old hunting camp on Little Squaw Brook, nothing left but an old van now. I seem to remember that this camp was a leased camp, and its lease ran out a few years ago.

I know that I am not the first to find these treasures, I am just curious if anyone out there has any information about them. I have the older topo maps (1899 and 1954). I have a freind that has a video from the logging days as well. I am just looking for more!

Thanks for your help in advance

Originally posted by ganeale58 View Post
    I am looking for any information out there about the logging operations on Cedar River Flow, as well as the old logging camps on Buell/Dillion/Little Squaw Brooks.

I hunt/Camp/Hike this area every year, and I am always amazed at the old timbers, nails, and remnant roads that I find in the woods. I have even found an old marked trail that is no longer maintained on Buck Mountain.

I have visited the old hunting camp on Little Squaw Brook, nothing left but an old van now. I seem to remember that this camp was a leased camp, and its lease ran out a few years ago.

I know that I am not the first to find these treasures, I am just curious if anyone out there has any information about them. I have the older topo maps (1899 and 1954). I have a freind that has a video from the logging days as well. I am just looking for more!

Thanks for your help in advance
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if these links are of any use to you or not. They are not specific to the Cedar River or other areas:

As you might expect, my desk-side book shelves are heavily burdened with Adirondack books. Guides to hiking, climbing, wildlife, forestry- books of photography, sit beside fiction and various technical reports &#8211 all here within easy reach. Most are history &#8211 general histories, political histories, environmental and cultural histories, books on logging, tanning, prohibition, Native Americans, …

Here is a timeline for Adirondack logging history, with links.

You might try Barbara McMartin's The Great Forest of the Adirondacks or The Adirondack: Or Life in the Woods by Joel Tyler Headley, or Logging Railroads of the Adirondacks by Bill Gove.

Here is a short PBS documentary on Adirondack logging (you could contact the people mentioned in the film).

And all sorts of Adirondack links here.

Sorry this isn't of more help.

Dick

Comment

Thanks Fellow Catskills Hiker

Dick, thanks for any an all the info.

I plan to look at it all and start as detailed of a history of the Cedar River Flow that I can.

I love finding the historical data to back up al the leftover items that I find in the woods.

Gale

Comment

another question

One more question for all you vetrans around here. I have hiked Buck Mountain (the mountain to the south of Panther and Buell, not the one Lake George), and I have found an old marked trail (Marked with disks nailed into trees).

Does anyone know where to find maps of old abandoned trails? I followed this trail for a ways, and gps'd most of the markers on the trail.

Some of the disks have been replaced with beercan labels, and they are a bit easier to see. Thanks for any info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
          Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if these links are of any use to you or not. They are not specific to the Cedar River or other areas:

As you might expect, my desk-side book shelves are heavily burdened with Adirondack books. Guides to hiking, climbing, wildlife, forestry- books of photography, sit beside fiction and various technical reports &#8211 all here within easy reach. Most are history &#8211 general histories, political histories, environmental and cultural histories, books on logging, tanning, prohibition, Native Americans, …

Here is a timeline for Adirondack logging history, with links.

You might try Barbara McMartin's The Great Forest of the Adirondacks or The Adirondack: Or Life in the Woods by Joel Tyler Headley, or Logging Railroads of the Adirondacks by Bill Gove.

Here is a short PBS documentary on Adirondack logging (you could contact the people mentioned in the film).

And all sorts of Adirondack links here.

Sorry this isn't of more help.

Dick
          a bit off this good topic,I just bought ''tree Identification'' Barnes and Noble sells it new at $15.83 on-line Tx Dick for your links Looncry

Comment

One more question for all you vetrans around here. I have hiked Buck Mountain (the mountain to the south of Panther and Buell, not the one Lake George), and I have found an old marked trail (Marked with disks nailed into trees).

Does anyone know where to find maps of old abandoned trails? I followed this trail for a ways, and gps'd most of the markers on the trail.

Some of the disks have been replaced with beercan labels, and they are a bit easier to see. Thanks for any info.
            Not sure, but perhaps one of these maps?

Comment

This site has old topo maps covering the Adirondacks, but none of them show a trail leading to Buck Mt. The quad you need is Indian Lake, and they have maps from 1899 and 1954. The 1954 topo shows a dirt road going up Little Squaw Brook just south of Buck, but that's it.

Curiously, the 1899 topo shows that southwest summit of Buck to be almost 500 feet taller than the 1954 topo. But the rest of the points along the ridge between Buck and Panther have accurate heights. Somebody was very confused.

Comment

Old camp near little squaw brook with van

Hello! If we are speaking of the same abandoned camp....it was a hunting camp built by my Dad and his hunting club in the late '60s or early 70's. To the best of my recollection, they leased the land from International Pulp and Paper. I am very excited about your reference to the old van that was left there. Again, if we are speaking of the same camp/van....it was my Dad's van that he used for work when I was a small girl. I have a photo of the van in the late 1950's. Thanks in advance for any additional info that you might have.

Comment

Working...
                X