Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
AJM14624

NPT from Jessup River Road

Is it possible to access (or at least get close) to the NPT from Jessup River Road during the summer months? thanks
AJM14624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
webby459

Yes, I got all the way to the Pillsbury Mountain/French Louis trailhead this past August via Jessup River Road in my Saab. That wouldn't be a bad way to get to the NPT up near Cedar Lakes. You have to be verrrry careful from Shatuck Clearing to that TH in a car ('city car' I think were Justin's words ), and be willing to not go that far. Others can comment, but I think going all the way on Jessup to the trailhead near Spruce Lake is more common to access the NPT. Either way, there are a few options for getting to the NPT in that area.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
webby459

Realize I'm wrong on calling it Shatuck Clearing. I'm referring to the clearing where JRR and 'Military Road' intersect near a triangular clearing and one can proceed to the Pillsbury Mountain th.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
‘city car' I think were Justin's words .

Hi guys do you think my car will be fine on a muddy bumpy Adirondack backcountry dirt road?

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Realize I'm wrong on calling it Shatuck Clearing. I'm referring to the clearing where JRR and 'Military Road' intersect near a triangular clearing and one can proceed to the Pillsbury Mountain th.
Sled Harbor
Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
webby459

Dingdingding, Sled Harbor!

My car looked like that sleek red machine when I drove in in August, but for some reason it now looks like that rusted out truck over by Whitney Lake. And failed inspection due to tie rod problems, no coincidence I'm sure! Looks funny with my old Indian River canoe strapped to the roof, too.

We've probably scared the OP off by now.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
AJM14624

Thanks guys. I appreciate the heads up that your garden variety AWD SUV is probably not suited for this adventure. Might be waiting for AAA for a long time if i got stuck
Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM14624 View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate the heads up that your garden variety AWD SUV is probably not suited for this adventure. Might be waiting for AAA for a long time if i got stuck
You’ll be fine. Just bustin’ chops on the Adirondack adventurers who choose to drive one of those Honda Prius type toys.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
webby459

^To the contrary, an AWD SUV probably would be suited, as it was ok for my normal Saab sedan. JRR was quite good, the going to Pillsbury from Sled Harbor was much rougher but was still passable for me. When I got up there, there was a Jeep Cherokee, an old Subaru Brat, and a very new BMW 5-series sedan. Interestingly, in the 5 days we were doing the loop they graded the road from Pillsbury back to Sled Harbor and it was in great shape on the way down. Jessup River Rd was very passable from Route 30 to that Sled Harbor junction, and very good out toward Mason Lake as well--again, this was August 2018. I wouldn't hesitate to take these roads again, but I'd also be prepared to change my plans in case of a washout.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
AJM14624

thanks again. So If I understand you correctly it looks like the best place to access the NPT is to take the roads towards Spruce Lake. If I'm reading the map correctly (unlikely) it looks like its only about a mile hike from where I would park my car to the NPT.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Sounds about right, maybe .9 mile, but be careful on the way back. In recent years the junction with the NPT has been marked with signs, but years back it wasn’t marked & easy to miss.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Hi guys do you think my car will be fine on a muddy bumpy Adirondack backcountry dirt road?

We wondered what you looked like. I'll bet I know what the "D" stands for.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
I'll bet I know what the "D" stands for.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
TrailBlaser

I am thinking of going to Spruce Lake from JRR this summer as well - will be using my "city car" and hope I can get there. Last summer I couldn't get up to the PTH with it so I parked at Sled Harbor and hoofed it up to the TH. I think it was you, webby459, that saved me the walk on the way out with a ride, right?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
webby459

Yep, that was me!

-Will
Old 06-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #16
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Yep, that was me!

-Will
Thanks again, made a difference! I hope we run into each other again this year!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
njbirdman

Just a heads up the "road" from Jessup River Rd to Pillsbury mtn. trail head has been washed out and is closed. You need to park at sled harbor (bottom of the hill) and walk up approx. 1.5 miles to the Pillsbury mtn. trail head.

As an FYI, Jessup River Rd is generally in decent shape and you can get through in a car however I have seen some areas flooded and others with some pretty big ruts. I guess use your best judgement...
njbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #18
Wldrns

The Lean2Rescue group is planning to work on the Pillsbury Lake Leanto in the coming weeks. I am told we can drive as far as Sled Harbor or just a little more, then hike carrying equipment and overnight camping gear for the next 3 miles.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The Lean2Rescue group is planning to work on the Pillsbury Lake Leanto in the coming weeks. I am told we can drive as far as Sled Harbor or just a little more, then hike carrying equipment and overnight camping gear for the next 3 miles.
Just curious as to what is exactly wrong with this lean-to that needs rescue? Other than the obvious over-use issues & lack of other nearby designated campsite options.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #20
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just curious as to what is exactly wrong with this lean-to that needs rescue? Other than the obvious over-use issues & lack of other nearby designated campsite options.
I don't know yet, typically it is roof replacement, or bottom log and/or foundation replacement, or other minor to major work (such as required DEC deconstruction and movement/reconstruction >100' back away from the water's edge). This is the message/request for volunteer work that I received:

There is a lonely leanto that happens to be in pretty bad shape at Pillsbury Lake. Where??? you say? It's just north of Speculator, and it's a relatively short hike from the parking area (3 miles).

I am tentatively planning two consecutive weekends to get this done.

You should find a map attached. The town of Speculator is on the map Go from there. We should be able to drive about to where the word "Miami" starts, just northeast of the booming metropolis of Sled Harbor. It's about a 3 mile hike from the parking area to the yellow dot of the Pillsbury Lake leanto. Materials are on site. We will carry in tools and camping gear. We will be camping at the leanto site. This a remote area. We will be "off the grid" in every way. The best forms of communication will be smoke signals, carrier pigeon, and trained black fly. The bugs could be healthy. I have not seen any bug forecasts, but I will be packing a head net just in case.

Please respond ASAP if you think you may be able to assist. This can only happen if enough people come out to play!
Detailed logistics will go out to those who are interested in going.