Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #301
Skinney
Natives

Here's a little blurb about me...:)

Hello Everyone
I am a 27 yo male from Albany, NY...I grew up in a town called Averill Park, NY near the NY, Mass border in the Rensselaer Co Taconic Mtn foothills...I grew up in the woods hiking, hunting and fishing and enjoy the peace and serenity of nature away from every day life when hiking...I work for a specialty durable medical equipment provider as the Coordinator of Patient Administration covering the territory of Central NY....As of 06/01/06 I have hiked 22 of the 46 High Peaks and am planning to crack 30 peaks by the fall of '06...In '04 I participated and completed the Taconic Crest Trail 1 day 30 mile hiking challenge...The last 9 peaks I have hiked solo due becoming parents of a beautiful daughter and my wife tending to her...She will be back...Lol......I also document my hikes with the Adirondack 46 'ers club annually for acknowledgement.
Skinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #302
Skinney
Natives

Here's a little blurb about me :)

Hello Everyone
I am a 27 yo male from Albany, NY...I grew up in a town called Averill Park, NY near the NY, Mass border in the Rensselaer Co Taconic Mtn foothills...I grew up in the woods hiking, hunting and fishing and enjoy the peace and serenity of nature away from every day life when hiking...I work for a specialty durable medical equipment provider as the Coordinator of Patient Administration covering the territory of Central NY....As of 06/01/06 I have hiked 22 of the 46 High Peaks and am planning to crack 30 peaks by the fall of '06...In '04 I participated and completed the Taconic Crest Trail 1 day 30 mile hiking challenge...The last 9 peaks I have hiked solo due becoming parents of a beautiful daughter and my wife tending to her...She will be back...Lol......I also document my hikes with the Adirondack 46 'ers club annually for acknowledgement.
Skinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #303
scooch

Hello..... I probably should have done this sooner....after reading the thread referencing the forums inability to adequately protect it's members (both young and old) from predator types, I thought I would better introduce myself....

I am a 44 yo female, born and raised in Saranac Lake, NY. Attended NCCC with the intention of a Psych degree and finished up at FMCC, with a degree in Human Services instead. (figured it's easier, and more gratifying to just help people out and point them in the right direction, than it is to analyze them).

Before college, I made a comfortable living caring for children in my own home; as a lead vocalist in a Rock band, and freelancing my vocal abilities. Worked various positions in Fulton County through my degre, however; after a fall down a flight of stairs and years of dealing with fibromyaigia, I am currently unemployed and available to harrass any or all of you pretty much full time!!!

I am not an experienced hiker, and the only mountain I have ever climbed is Mt. Baker in SL.

(then why a member of this forum you say?)

Not long ago I met a member of this forum. We quickly became friends and had made plans to do some hiking together...she knew I was an inexperienced hiker ( I still hear her laughing at me the night I found a dead mouse under the couch and commenting on how much fun she could have with such a coward in the woods!!!).

If not for her confidence in, respect for, and willingness to teach and share her knowledge of the wilderness, I am not sure that I would have devloped the interest that I have for hiking or wilderness survival. ( whether or not I am ever brave enough or toughen up enough to actually do a planned hike remains to be seen..)

She apparently had more important work to do in a different arena as she passed away not too long ago. (before we were able to actually do a hike).
I could ramble on forever about Kim.....(she was honestly the single-most generous person I have ever had the pleasure to know, but most of you know this...and miss her as much as I do.)
Anyway that is the how and why of my interest in this forum....many of you don't know me, but I have heard so much about so many of you, through caring for Kim during the hardest part of her illness. (I would be sleeping in Rachel or Taryn's room and wake up in the middle of night and hear her laughing or giggling or talking to herself while roaming the forum..) So...while all of you were praying for and wishing there was something you could do....I can tell you with 100% confidence and honesty that you did. Just by being yourselves, and being here...at this forum....smiles were few and far between toward the end for Kim....but as long as she was able to find her friends here, there was a smile in her heart. and you all know who you are.

Thanks for allowing me to educate myself here and participate (when I can).
scooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #304
Birchymm

Hello. Short and sweet. 30 yo Male from Battle Creek MI, married 4 kids (G15, B13, B6, B1month) Air Force member Loved the outdoors since childhood. Occasional hunter and adamant hiker and biker. Would like to learn Kayaking and canoeing. Never been to the Adirondacks but plan to in near future. Just doing my homework before going.
Birchymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #305
Little Rickie

after a fall down a flight of stairs and years of dealing with fibromyaigia,

I understand regular exercise helps with fibromyaigia? You don't have to be a peak bagger or a marathoner to go for a hike. I'm sure you can find compatable hiking buddies through the forum.

Rickie
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #306
Rookie
Dream Farmer

"I am currently unemployed and available to harrass any or all of you pretty much full time!!!"
Scooch---that is funny !
Welcome and you gotta go do Cascade !
Old 07-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #307
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I introduced myself in another section. I will link it here:
My Inrtoduction
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #308
mowgli16

I'm a 44 yo New Yorker living in Tennessee for the last 3.5 years. I work for American Hiking Society and am the Director of their Southeastern Program.

I joined this forum because I am planning to hike 50+ miles of the NP Trail with my 16 year old daughter. We plan to start around July 23 and hike from Lake Placid to Lake Durant in 5 days.

I just purchased my first bear cannister today. I have a permit to hike the John Muir Trail in the High Sierra in August, so with a High Peaks region hike - I figured I'd break down and purchase a cannister.

When my daughter hikes with me, that'll make 4 generations of Hunters to play in the ADK region. Looking forward to returning to my roots!

Jeffrey Hunter
But the walking man walks on by
"
~JT~
mowgli16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 AM   #309
Immola0069

I am a 30 year old male whom works with skinny14life.. He introduced me to this site.. Thanks Steve!!! I grew up in Canajoharie NY, just south of Caroga Lake in the way Southern Dacks.. I am an Air Force veteran and currently in school for Healthcare Admin.. I have done hikes in the Rockies, Taos NM area, Ruidoso NM area, and a little in Nevada and Maine. I love the outdoors and look forward to some good hikes this year... Always looking for company!!!! My significant other is not much of a hiker, unfortunately. I have learned to appreciate the Adirondacks and would love to explore them from head to toe.. It will be very nice to meet you all..
Immola0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #310
Kevin
**BANNED**

Catching up with the posts here I wanted to say welcome to all the newest members.

For those looking to do hikes with other members keep track of what's happening in the event planning area:

http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Of course, just because you're new here shouldn't stop you from organizing your own hikes/outtings. I've met 2 members in the past couple months through events they planned through the forum. So, don't just wait for us to post something either!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #311
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooch
Anyway that is the how and why of my interest in this forum....many of you don't know me, but I have heard so much about so many of you, through caring for Kim during the hardest part of her illness. (I would be sleeping in Rachel or Taryn's room and wake up in the middle of night and hear her laughing or giggling or talking to herself while roaming the forum..) So...while all of you were praying for and wishing there was something you could do....I can tell you with 100% confidence and honesty that you did. Just by being yourselves, and being here...at this forum....smiles were few and far between toward the end for Kim....but as long as she was able to find her friends here, there was a smile in her heart. and you all know who you are.
That was a very heart-felt post and we're equally honored to have you as a member.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #312
ElectricMan

Hi All

Im a lifelong hiker residing in central New Hampshire. At 46 years old, my family is grown and moving on in life. This allows me to spend more time pursuing the thing I enjoy. Last year my brother and I decided to endeavor to complete the NE111 (aka 115) list. Although we had done many of the NH, ME and VT 4000ers we decide to do them from start to finish. After 12 months we are 83/115 with only 32 in NY to go. Our goal is to complete these by Nov. of this year. I have enjoyed our trips to the high peaks region and am finding hiking in NY to be challenging and fun. I look forward to many more enjoyable trips in the near future and beyond.
ElectricMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #313
Dick
somewhere out there...

Welcome to the forum, ElectricMan! Impressive work for 12 months! Whichof the ADK 46 have you done?
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #314
ElectricMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Welcome to the forum, ElectricMan! Impressive work for 12 months! Whichof the ADK 46 have you done?
Hi Dick,

Thanks for the Welcome. We have made 5 trips so far.

Trip 1 - Street, Nye
Trip 2 - Porter, Cascade, Big Slide (Rain Day)
Trip 3 - Giant, Rocky Peak
Trip 4 - Nippletop, Dial, Colvin, Blake Peak
Trip 5 - Macomb, South Dix, East Dix, Hough, Dix

This Saturday will be - Lower and Upper Wolfjaw, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback, Basin, Sawteeth.

I'm hoping for good weather this Saturday and plenty of water on the trail.
ElectricMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #315
backspin

well i think its about time i properly introduce myself. My name is Jeff, and im from the great state of Jersey. I am going to be a senior at my high school and looking at college (oh what a fun time it is indeed) My number one choice is the University of Notre Dame in South Bend IN. Anyway, enough about school, because its really not all that important.

I first got into the outdoors through the lovely organization of the Boy Scouts of America. My next door neighbor was the troop leader, and he was trying to rekindle the troop in my area. I joined and first went camping to the Delaware Water Gap. Loved the place, the experience, and what satisfaction the outdoors can give you. Unfortunately i was deprived of the ADK experience until i was twelve. Our big camping trip that everyone looked foward to was the week long trip to ADK. I was lucky enough to go a year before i was supposed to because i was the scout masters sons best friend. We came camping one week in the summer every year in the lake placid region for about three years. Then the bear problem at heart lake was just too much (to the point they had to move our campsite for fear that the bear was going to fall out of the tree in our campsite. Dont know if anyone is familiar with the techniques they used, i.e. drugging coolers so the bears would get sick and not like them anymore. In my opinion, stupid, but whatever) So we packed up and moved our camp to just out side long lake and tupper lake. I was kind of disappointed because no more ADK 46'rs! However it was the first opportunity i had to go white water rafting. After the experience i thought where has that been all my life????? Then we stopped going as a troop, and i was sad again. However after a year break of the ADK's, i had to go back. My dad and i planned a trip to Heart Lake again, and have been going ever since. Its a tradition, and we take new people every year. I love the ADK's and couldn't think of a better way to spend my summers...
backspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #316
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspin
I first got into the outdoors through the lovely organization of the Boy Scouts of America....
I love the ADK's and couldn't think of a better way to spend my summers...
Jeff,
If you are at least 18 years old and have a few summers to spare... you might be interested in becoming a High Adventure Trek Leader/Guide (Voyageur). You would have to seek employment from one of the Adirondack region council resident camps. There is always a shortage of guides and little reason not to be hired if you have the interest. After attending a week of training at National Camping School at Massawepie, you can spend the summer guiding high adventure treks.

PM me if you would like more information for next year's course and a list of applicable council camps to contact.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #317
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

Hi there, I just joined a few minutes ago. A casual hiking friend pointed me at this site and wow, what have I been missing the last 2 years!

I started hiking in 2004 as a rank novice after retiring. I planned to thru hike the NP and began training in January with walking, then adding a day pack, then hiking with a full pack. In Sep 2004 I talked my daughter into coming with me and we began with the Benson to Whitehouse section. We both had injuries and had to quit. Big sad face here! Turns out I have both tendonitis and plantar facitis in both feet. I've been doing short hikes or the occasional overnight but can never get my feet to the point where I can recommence the thru hike.

I'm not giving up tho. Still working on a combination of orthotic inserts and hiking boots that will keep pain to a minimum. Other than hiking, I garden, stamp, do lots of volunteer work with the Fulton/Montgomery County 4H, keep up my project management certification and dabble in other arts and crafts in the crannies of time left in the day. Did I mention cooking? I've already posted an update to the opening of the Whitehouse section of the NP.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #318
mholtzman

I have been reading these forums for the last couple of weeks, and finally created an account. I figured I would start with my intro.

My name is Mike, and I live in East Greenbush, just outside of Albany. I work in the computer software industry, and that keeps me pretty busy, but I try to make time for fun stuff.

Over the last couple of years I have grown to love being outdoors. I do many outdoor sports, mountain and road biking, Tri's, running. This year I have started to get into hiking and backpacking. I have done a few day hikes so far earlier this year (Berlin Mtn and Mt Graylock). I am looking to start doing overnight / weekend trips very soon.
mholtzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #319
aft paddle

Hi I grew up in NYS--always loved trout fishing--I'm 59 and live in Greene county--spent 12 years at sea as a marine engineer--ran a small fruit and vegetable farm--currently work as stationary engineer at SUNY. Bought a 16 foot wood and canvas Old Town Guide in the 70's--read "Man of the Woods" in the 80's--finally made the time to go to High Falls in 04 with my second son (then 14) and the same canoe. I now manage 3-4 trips camping in the Adirondacks each year. I am considering a lighter canoe but tradition dies hard with me. I enjoy finding new locations to explore from your discussions.

Hope to see you out there---Bob
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #320
najobzly

I have been lurking around this forum for the past few weeks, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am from the Watertown area, spent 10 years in the Marines were I visited 29 countries, some nicer than others mostly based on there peacetime status...or lack there of.
After 10 years I missed the placed too much and had to come back home. Some of the most significant memories in my life are from the Dacks, I think I was 5 when Dad started taking us camping up there, we went at least 3 times a summer. It is buy far one of the most beautiful places in the world!
Anyways, I have been to many forums, this buy far is the best group of people I have seen on the web. Sure, there is some disagreements, but not many, and any grudges seem to be quickly forgotten. Kevin, great job, I know I have not been here long but still, from what I have seen... And I know it will continue in light of recent news! So thanks everyone for a great community and I look forward to being a part
najobzly is offline   Reply With Quote