Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Bum,
    Did you look at Hickory at all?
    It's not widely known, but the skiing experience is similar to Mad River Glen.
    If you and your son are avid skiers, and there's natural snow, you'll have a great time there.
    It's inexpensive, always uncrowded, and has terrain to challenge the best of skiers.

Also, should you go back to Gore, there are many informal "trails" cut by semi locals.
    I never had too high of an opinion of Gore, until I skied with one of the guys that created some of those "trails". Surprisingly varied and challenging, quite a bit different from the marked and maintained stuff...

Comment

Stay in Saratoga. It is an extra 20 minutes (compared to Lake George) but it is a rocking place with tons of things to do. Cultural events, museums, art stores, shopping, and more. The sky is the limit there and you're sure to have fun.

I think I remember reading that it has the most dense concentration of restaurants, pubs, and bars outside of Manhattan.

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
        Mr Bum,
        Did you look at Hickory at all?
        It's not widely known, but the skiing experience is similar to Mad River Glen.
        If you and your son are avid skiers, and there's natural snow, you'll have a great time there.
        It's inexpensive, always uncrowded, and has terrain to challenge the best of skiers.

Also, should you go back to Gore, there are many informal "trails" cut by semi locals.
        I never had too high of an opinion of Gore, until I skied with one of the guys that created some of those "trails". Surprisingly varied and challenging, quite a bit different from the marked and maintained stuff...
        I've known about Hickory for a while. I could see it last time we went to Gore. Given the lack of snowmaking, it seems like a place you have to hit at the right time. Last time at Gore, anything off piste was too boney to ski... So Hickory wouldn't have worked well either.

I'll mention the Saratoga idea to my wife. We've been before on a day trip from Wells. Nice place for sure. That said, i think she's got her heart said on staying close to home (unfortunately). The skiing in WNY is actually pretty good... Just vertically challenged... That's why I want to travel further.

Comment

Working...
        X