Lower Saranac Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Saranac Camping

Over the last couple years my friend and I have made a trip up to Lower Saranac camping in our cedar strip canoes. We normally camp at the end of the lake on site 47 which is small and not the best site but we like the seclusion. But there really isn't any place to get the boat on shore without dragging it over boulders. This year there will be even more of my family going in hand build canoes and kayaks.

Im looking for advise on a good site that is secluded and has a place that allows for easy entry and exit from the water without having to drag the boats that I put so much work into over a ton of rocks. I doubt there is a site that has a sand beach but that would be the ultimate. i will settle for a shallow entry and exit.

Any advise would be extremely helpful.
    Wooden Builder
    sigpic

This is not directly applicable to your question, but my procedure with my strip-built solo canoe is to hop out while the canoe is still afloat and has not hit the shore yet, and then to pick the canoe up to waist height and carry it ashore, thus avoiding the rocks. This only works in relatively warm weather, but that's when I camp anyway. It doesn't seem to hurt my canoe to set it down on rocks as long as it does not move around on them, but I prefer a beach or grass or bushes ideally.
    Zach

Comment

Never camped on Lower Saranac . But, consider putting in on Middle Saranac and paddling across and up to Weller Pond. Secluded, beautiful and at least 2 campsites with really nice sandy beaches, actually all the sites on Weller look nice. Only a mile + paddle to Weller from the Middle Saranac put in, though you could put in on Lower Saranac or the put in off Rt30 and make a couple hour paddle out of it, going through the locks etc.

John M
      Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

site # 37 is the best beach site on the Lower but it is also the most sought after site usually...

Comment

A buddy & I had no troubles with his power boat at site #3 last summer...
          https://youtu.be/1j0dJf9m7_U

Comment

Thanks for all of the information. I have been thinking about Middle Saranac and checking out the camp sites there.

I try and get out of the canoes in the water before they hit the rocks but thats not always possible when the trop off is pretty steep or when you have a canoe full of heavy action packers and coolers for a week of camping.
            Wooden Builder
            sigpic

Comment

My wife and I camped at site 83 a couple of years ago. While the site itself was nice and had a nice view, the access was difficult with no beach. As mentioned, I recall sites 85 & 86 had beaches, as well as 84 and 87, although I recall 87 (the lean-to site) was quite shady and dark, and I was not impressed with 84 (an island site).
              "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
              My pictures:
              https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

Working...
              X