Why All The Subarus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyGr View Post
    Not to mention that getting one from another area (as referenced above, particularly a southern, warmer area like Florida) may be a better idea as it can be better quality having not been exposed to the winter conditions that we have here in NY.
    I've heard that when buying a Florida car and bringing it north it will rust very fast. Not sure how reliable the info is. VTFLYFISH curious how the Portland car held up to rust?

Comment

Justin: I think the car in that picture you posted wasn't abandoned. The guy just parked there while he went hiking.

Comment

Friend of mine (from Montreal) bought himself a brand new Subaru Outback In NH and imported (or exported, depending on your POV) it into Canada. When all was said and done (various taxes, duty, inspections etc.) he saved $CDN 8,0000!
        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Why All The Subarus?

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          Friend of mine (from Montreal) bought himself a brand new Subaru Outback In NH and imported (or exported, depending on your POV) it into Canada. When all was said and done (various taxes, duty, inspections etc.) he saved $CDN 8,0000!

I wish that worked when Americans try and import Canadian beer. The fees at the border can be steep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cuterocky View Post
            I'm hoping to get an Outback or Forester for my next car (currently have a FWD Pontiac Vibe with OEM roof rails and Inno crossbars). Won't be for a few years though unfortunately
            I'm in the same boat. I have a 2005 Vibe FWD and am looking to get a new AWD small SUV/wagon/crossover/whatever .... debating between Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester.
            My hiking blog

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
              Justin: I think the car in that picture you posted wasn't abandoned. The guy just parked there while he went hiking.

Comment

Wow! I can't believe I started a 51 response thread! I feel like a rock star! I think I'll celebrate by posing another provocative Adirondack question. Such as, why has it been anything but very easy for me to locate a 6-pack of Saranac Black Cherry soda whenever I am in Saranac Lake?!?? I know, I know - not transportation related. Here comes the administrator's warning......

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                  Not that simple.
                  To get all US rebates you need to be local (to have US driver's license).
                  Otherwise price difference is not that great.

Also, after CAD$ started sliding down, price difference started diminishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yury View Post
                    Not that simple.
                    To get all US rebates you need to be local (to have US driver's license).
                    Otherwise price difference is not that great.

Also, after CAD$ started sliding down, price difference started diminishing.
                    Maybe not that simple (he said he put in some time) but $8000 is (or was, at the time) still $8000.

(he said he kept a spreadsheet and recorded all of his expenses so I am assuming the figure is accurate)
                    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine1 View Post
                      I've heard that when buying a Florida car and bringing it north it will rust very fast. Not sure how reliable the info is. VTFLYFISH curious how the Portland car held up to rust?
                      Not bad! There are now a couple of small areas where the rear quarter panels join.

Note that my buddy John oil undercoats all of his cars. His wife's 2001 Subee is completely rust free and looks brand new. I'm doing the same to my Forester.
                      Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

I have never had any rust on any of my Volvo's. Even those with 2 or 300,000 miles. The paint is absolutely amazing.

My sisters 2008 Subaru (Florida and Illinois car) and my mothers 2006 (Northern NY car) both rusted in the rear quarter panels and wheel wells. They got rid of them due to other issues so neither of them held on to the cars long enough to see how bad it would get.....94,000 and 68,000 miles respectively.
                        My buddies 1800 was practically see through (from Denver to NY) and the EA80 someone gave my son (Idaho/Wyoming) simply died of old age and lack of interest....also a rust heap. The older ones were not as good as the newer ones. I hope the current ones are better yet. You should never need to add a rust inhibitor to a newly purchased car. Rusty Jones should have been out of business 30 years ago.

Comment

Our '04 Outback is starting to rust just above and behind the rear wheels but nothing too serious yet. It has been kept outside for the last 5.5 years and before that I don't know. Out here we get a lot of sand and a little salt on the roads, in Pulaski and on the state/federal roads it's all salt which I think must be worse.
                          Zach

Comment

Originally posted by mgc View Post
                            Rusty Jones should have been out of business 30 years ago.
                            If you believe this article, they are (or at least 25ish years):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Jones_(company)

Comment

Looks like Subaru is taking lessons from GM?

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                              ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Actually, I'd say money-grubbing so-called "plaintiffs" and their blood-sucker attorneys are taking "me too" lessons from the folks with a legit grievance against GM. I read the details; this new suit is idiotic. Any car can wear out and eventually fail.

Comment

Working...
                                X