Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yury View Post
    Neil,
    You were not afraid to buy used 5 y.o. Subaru?

And what about other people?
    Would you buy a used Subaru?
    Have. We got it at 35,000 miles and traded it in at 180,000 miles . Why? Cause it was small and we couldn't fit our neighbors in the back seat well. Also the AC went kaput and we decided not to invest lots of money in that. At the time it was a commuter car between Maine and NYC every week.

No head gasket problems. No rust. We got it cheap as it had been obviously in a hailstorm.

It probably helps that road salt is seldom used in our area.. Not so Lawrence Mass where the poor Forester sustained considerable damage and a shattered windshield when the snowplow going the other way threw something hard across the Jersey barrier. The State of Mass said prove it your claim is denied.

Bureau of M*******s.

Comment

I visit NH often and Subaru seems to almost the only car on the road.

Comment

Honda CRV = Subaru Forester. Maybe even better. However CRV is not cool like a Forester. RAV4 also very similar but far less cool than even a CRV. GM and Ford small SUV's are for meatheads. The real serious contender is the new Jeep Cherokee...but who wants to spend $400 on brakes every 30,000 miles? I don't think I ever saw a used Volvo that did not have a major electric issue such a passenger power seat motor that didn't work that the owner because of the $1,000 bill for the power seat motor said.....I can live without that
        Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
          Honda CRV = Subaru Forester. Maybe even better. However CRV is not cool like a Forester.
          Not even close! The Subee is far more capable when the weather gets nasty or you want to travel on one of the sketchier dirt tracks to a remote trailhead.

I drove the unplowed mile of our dirt road in a foot of snow to get to work one morning last winter. My neighbor's CRV didn't even make it out of his driveway, though he tried mightily...

This link provides hours of Forester entertainment...

We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
            Honda CRV = Subaru Forester. Maybe even better. However CRV is not cool like a Forester. RAV4 also very similar but far less cool than even a CRV. GM and Ford small SUV's are for meatheads. The real serious contender is the new Jeep Cherokee...but who wants to spend $400 on brakes every 30,000 miles? I don't think I ever saw a used Volvo that did not have a major electric issue such a passenger power seat motor that didn't work that the owner because of the $1,000 bill for the power seat motor said.....I can live without that
            It was once taught to me by a Lakota Elder that "Cool" = "Not too Hot"
            "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Watch the AWD uphill comparison test:

This is an AWD Uphill Comparison Test showing the effectiveness of a Subaru over vehicles with AWD systems from brands such as Honda, Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet...
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Nice! I had not seen that test before, but it's no surprise. In both my '02 and my '11 Forester, I always had the feeling that the car was simply "walking over" difficult areas, whereas other vehicles I drove seemed to struggle. Subaru's "symmetrical AWD" is qualitatively better than a lot of other technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MX...eature=related
                  I think Gman now owes each of us a beer!
                  Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Why All The Subarus?

That was an impressive test. I would have liked to see how a Jeep Liberty/Cherokee did on that hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post
                      I think Gman now owes each of us a beer!
                      I think all I owe you is Scooby Doo koolaid...seems you got drunk on it

Your neighbor with the Honda must have bald tires.
                      Last edited by Gman; 07-25-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

As someone who has put 150,000 miles on my Forester I have to say that the CRV, Rav4, Ford Escape, and anything made by Hyundai/Kia are inferior AWD vehicles. The Honda AWD system is especially weak and prone to overheating and defaulting to FWD when you need it most. Go to You Tube and search for the Subaru AWD videos. You will come away convinced of Subaru's stronger AWD system. Plus Subaru is far superior to the others in crash testing. Again, the Honda is particularly weak in front offset crash testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MX...eature=related
                          Originally posted by TCD View Post
                          Nice! I had not seen that test before, but it's no surprise. In both my '02 and my '11 Forester, I always had the feeling that the car was simply "walking over" difficult areas, whereas other vehicles I drove seemed to struggle. Subaru's "symmetrical AWD" is qualitatively better than a lot of other technologies.
                          I don't have a horse in this race.

My questions are:

Who is driving the cars?
                          Was this an independent test conducted by someone who did not have a stake in the outcome?

If not, then how can anyone be sure that the results are fair. If the tests were conducted by Suburu with the same driver or drivers, then how can we be sure the drivers are not responsible for the results?

Results of tests are as much human operation as they are mechanical.

Just something to think about.
                          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Gatorman View Post
                            As someone who has put 150,000 miles on my Forester I have to say that the CRV, Rav4, Ford Escape, and anything made by Hyundai/Kia are inferior AWD vehicles. The Honda AWD system is especially weak and prone to overheating and defaulting to FWD when you need it most. Go to You Tube and search for the Subaru AWD videos. You will come away convinced of Subaru's stronger AWD system. Plus Subaru is far superior to the others in crash testing. Again, the Honda is particularly weak in front offset crash testing.
                            You put 150,000 miles on a Forester and watched a couple of video's and you're an expert.

From 1997-2007 I conducted ride and drives for various manufacturers. A ride and drive is were dealership sales staff drive there product against competitor vehicles. The idea is to get the sales people pumped about their product. Like promotional video's but hands on.

Of all the vehicles tested the best all round were Honda's....hands down. They were the most demanding. They did not hide from anything. Many manufacturers would.

Now I am not saying a CRV is a better vehicle, only that over a wide range of criteria the vehicles are very similar. Don't even mention that Ford in the same sentence.

My wife has bought a new Honda CRV EXL every 3 years since 2000. One she put 180,000 miles on. This will be her last one (she hates the look of them). She is due for a update and her next vehicle...probably a Forester.
                            Last edited by Gman; 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post

My questions are:

Who is driving the cars?
                              Was this an independent test conducted by someone who did not have a stake in the outcome?

If not, then how can anyone be sure that the results are fair. If the tests were conducted by Suburu with the same driver or drivers, then how can we be sure the drivers are not responsible for the results?

Absolutely correct!

Also doing tests that you know your vehicle will be superior BUT what about a slalom test? stop test? skid control? ice?

Then there's reliability, ride, feel, ergonomics...I could go on and on. Oh yea...how much does this thing cost!
                              Last edited by Gman; 07-26-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post

My questions are:

Who is driving the cars?

Oh, I completely agree. We don't know if it is a true impartial and scientifically operated test. But I don't see any similar tests performed by competitors, or anyone else who might be neutral. It is no more than an interesting video on youtube, so take it for what youtube videos are worth.

However, I am anxiously awaiting delivery of the new Forester I ordered a couple of weeks ago - which is my third Subaru. It is supposedly on the boat, due to arrive any day now.
                                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                                X