Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #1
rbi99

Snow

Living here in Cleveland where we have hardly had snow on the ground except for one storm, it seems to me that with 5' on the ground at Colden Lake in mid-March, and apparently 7' on the mountains, that even with the Adirondacks unpredictable weather from year-to-year, this is an awful lot of snow on the ground. While I'm sure this isn't any kind of record at this junction of the season, it must be up there with the big boys.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

If you look at the snow stake at Stowe, VT you’ll see that right now there’s about nine feet on the ground
Similar elevation as the high peaks but a bit better location for consistent snows

And just last week I was BC skiing in the Taconics
I have a calibrated ski pole and measured the snow depth near the mountain top to be over two feet. Elevation is about 2,600 ft

There is likely some historical tracking of snow depths at Colden
I imagine it’s about average just now

I skied yesterday in southern VT snow depth in the woods was about three feet
When I got home to Colonie (near Albany) we had lost all of our snow
Backyard elevation is 343 ft
Old 03-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
TCD

SG is correct. Elevation and aspect make a big difference, especially this time of year. Here in Keene, despite the recent thaw, we still have a good snowpack at my house at 1800'. And there is MUCH more above 3000'. I think a couple of the earlier storms that were rain even at my house, and certainly were rain in Albany, were all snow above 3000'.

And the thaw is over! It's 28F and snowing hard at my house right now. We still have a couple weeks of winter left.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, it's pretty variable. I've been on snowshoes for work 6 days a week for the past month and a half or so, mostly in the Ray Brook/Saranac Lake/Gabriels area. In some spots there's bare ground (especially after the recent thaw). In others, the snow is easily at least waist deep. I'd say 3+ feet is probably the average depth across most of the area I've been working in.

Considering that I'm breaking trail much of the time (if not most of the time), it's made for a bit of a tough couple of months of work.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
tgoodwin

The snow stake on Mt. Mansfield that is registering 9 ft. was. I believe, originally established by the Vermont Ski Areas Assoc. They picked an area in the lee of the Nose on Mansfield and have a cleared area just big enough to collect snow, but not so big it would likely get blown away. What do you think the goal of that placement was?