Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
madison

Middle Settlement Lake

Hey All,

I am planning to resurrect an old tradition of a mid to late April Adirondack trip. I'm looking at Middle Settlement Lake and the surrounding loop in the HaDeRonDah Wilderness. I am familiar with the area, having done the loop and out and back trips to both Middle Settlement and Middle Branch Lakes in the past. I do have a few specific questions however.

First, I am aware of the heavy impact this area receives, but am anticipating few other visitors mid week in late April. Is this a reasonable expectation given the easy access from Rt.28?

Next, for this trip I would like to add the element of back country trout fishing. Now, I would never dream of asking for anyone's secret trout fishing spot, but Middle Settlement Lake is hardly a secret spot. I know DEC has stocked brookies in the past but I don't know how recently. Anyone know if it's reasonable to hope to catch some trout in this lake? The nearby ponds and lakes I'll explore and find out if there are fish the old fashioned way.

Lastly, the last time I was at Middle Settlement I found an old john boat that was, barely, seaworthy. Anyone know if it is still there? Or maybe other communal boats scattered about that might aid in the pursuit of trout? I'm not asking for specific locations, only if I should bother to search.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge shared.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
snapper
snapper

It's been a few years since I was last in this area but when it was, it was the last weekend (not mid-week) in April with my hiking & backpacking class. On that weekend we saw no one else on Friday and only bumped into two other groups on Saturday so I'd say you'll probably be OK if you're trying to avoid people. On the Sunday of that weekend it did get a bit busier but not by much so I think you should be fine but I'm speaking from a limited background of experience here.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - This was a class so we didn't do any fishing so I can't speak to that. Sorry...
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I think it really depends on what the next month is like in terms of how much/fast the snow melts, plus what the weather is like the weekend you pick. If there's still deep snow in the area, and/or the weekend is non-stop cold rain, you may not see anyone. If the trails are bone dry, and/or you get a nice weekend with warm sunny days, you may find a fair amount of competition for the lean-to (especially from others looking to also fish for trout).

In any case, I'd try to get as early a start in on Friday as possible, and I'd be fully prepared to end up sharing the lean-to. It's been a while since I've been to Middle Settlement but I do also recall that there was a designated tent site somewhere on the shore in addition to the lean-to- I want to say east of the lean-to.

As a possible quieter alternative, if the weekend does look nice and the snowpack is minimal, there's Middle Branch, which seems to get less use than Middle Settlement- although there's no designated tent site here if the lean-to is occupied/full. There is open forest around on the north side of the pond where I think it wouldn't be difficult to do the 150' thing if necessary.

There's also East Pond, which has a nice tent site. This area definitely gets substantially less use than either Middle Settlement or Middle Branch.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
dundee

Yes, there's a designated site at MS. It's east of the LT. Middle Branch is quite heavily used these days, the litter shows it.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
madison

Thanks everyone. Yes, I've actually stayed at the designated tent site on MS once, it's almost as nice a spot as the lean-to. And we're going on a sunday through Tuesday, so that should help with the crowds.

East Pond is on my list of ponds to visit on a day trip to see if there are any trout. Although from what I'm reading, I might not make it past big Otter Lake.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
Thanks everyone. Yes, I've actually stayed at the designated tent site on MS once, it's almost as nice a spot as the lean-to. And we're going on a sunday through Tuesday, so that should help with the crowds.

East Pond is on my list of ponds to visit on a day trip to see if there are any trout. Although from what I'm reading, I might not make it past big Otter Lake.
With a Sunday through Tuesday trip, you won't likely see anyone in that area that time of year.

When I hiked from Big Otter to East Pond in 2016, the trail was in pretty rough shape (a bit overgrown and a fair amount of blowdown) but the tread was generally obvious enough that I had little difficulty following it. I did have to hunt back and forth a fair bit to conclusively locate the Lost Creek side trail, but this isn't necessary to hike through to East Pond.

I thought I remembered hearing that the DEC had sent a trail crew in more recently to work on that trail, though- but I can't remember where I heard that so this might not be accurate.

In any case, the trail from East Pond to the Big Otter Truck Trail was pretty easy to follow, although there were some flooded sections (as you'll see in the photos if you view the album I've linked above).

Blackfoot Pond was sort of a neat destination although the trail there from East Pond is also in pretty rough shape. If you can follow the trail, it's not hard to locate the remnants of the mica mine (really just a quarry on a rock outcrop) that was there.

A few other options in that general area include the lean-to at Pine Pond, which again I thought seemed to get less use than Middle Settlement but based on what Dundee says, this area may be getting more use as well. There's also the lean-tos at Nelson Lake and Remsen Falls along/near the Moose River- both nice spots although the trails out of Nick's Lake Campground are in pretty rough shape in spots. (It's possible to get a canoe into Nelson Lake from Route 28 with a 1500' or so portage from the road to the Moose River, following an old road most of the way.) The Bear Lake Lean-to is nice, as is the lean-to on Woodhull Lake.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
madison

I visited the lean-to at Pine Lake many years ago, I think it was 2001 or 2002? But I though I'd heard that it since burned or was removed?
Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I was there in 2012, and I'm nearly positive it hasn't burned or been removed since. Perhaps the one I saw in 2012 was one that had already been built to replace an older one there? My memory is a bit fuzzy (and I don't have my guidebooks on hand to check), but I think there was a site right in the trail where the lean-to had once stood, and the current lean-to was set back away from the trail a bit- so I'm thinking it was definitely at least moved at one point.

Or perhaps you're thinking of East Pond again? There was definitely once a lean-to there that was removed some time ago.