Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Buckladd

Maple Sap 2019

Hey Gang:
Here we go again. I put out my taps last Monday (Feb. 11). A little ran that day and a little more over the weekend, but Iím anticipating a good run starting tomorrow and on through Monday. Forecast looks good in the Lake George region. Hoping to do my first boil on Monday. Iíve expanded my operation from 10 taps to 13, thanks to a Christmas present of some new buckets courtesy of my wife. ĎHope everyone is gearing up!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Hey Gang:
Here we go again. I put out my taps last Monday (Feb. 11). A little ran that day and a little more over the weekend, but Iím anticipating a good run starting tomorrow and on through Monday. Forecast looks good in the Lake George region. Hoping to do my first boil on Monday. Iíve expanded my operation from 10 taps to 13, thanks to a Christmas present of some new buckets courtesy of my wife. ĎHope everyone is gearing up!
If you get to the point of needing a propane fired stainless steel boiler set up, let me know.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
If you get to the point of needing a propane fired stainless steel boiler set up, let me know.
I'd be interested to hear of such a set up. My wife, who loves to cook, has been nudging me about one of these: https://www.vtevap.com

But, I'm small time!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
SpencerVT

I don’t put my taps out until the traditional starting time of the day after town meeting day. I am gearing up though getting my buckets ready and trails cleared for sap collection.
Looking forward to the season; I can’t wait! You are way ahead of the game Buckladd!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

https://www.vtevap.com
That's a clever device an d a great idea. You do know how to reduce the surge of bubbles when they get to the volcano stage? Touch a piece of fatback to the mound of bubbles and they will immediately disappear. Then they will start to build again.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I'd be interested to hear of such a set up. My wife, who loves to cook, has been nudging me about one of these: https://www.vtevap.com

But, I'm small time!
My neighbor had a pretty substantial sugar shack, with maple trees on a hill with taps and hoses running downhill to 55 gallon drums. Unfortunately, he had health issues and hadn't done any active maple syrup production in a long time. He passed away last year and his widow is thinking of selling some of it. I'll stop down and take some pictures. No idea what she'd take for it, but I can ask.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
chaser
pond jockey

I just do a little for personal use, but taking this spring off, I still have a gallon and a half in the beer fridge leftover from last spring.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
Buckladd

Well, I screwed up! Sap ran over the weekend, but not as good as I thought it would. I had some place to be Sunday afternoon and decided to wait until Monday to empty my buckets. They were frozen solid! 'Might get above freezing later his week, but otherwise it looks to remain cool.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
SpencerVT

Looks like cold temps through next week. First big run might not be until mid-March.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 AM   #10
serotonin
ember

I agree. Last year we had that early run in February.
A nice pause and then steady.

These next two weeks of cold is exactly what I need.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Buckladd

I boiled down a pint today. Overdid it a little, was rearranging the woodshed and not paying attention. Pancakes for dinner! Looks like a good run after this cold snap. Get ready!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
Buckladd

Ran good this week by my standards. Boiled down nearly 20 gallons into nearly 2 quarts of syrup. Very dark. Looks like we might get another good run this week, but then some overnight temps well above freezing to follow. Weird season!
Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

We're up to 5-1/2 gallons of syrup from our 39 taps, and I have a pot on the stove to finish now which I think will make another gallon or so. It's been a better year than I had thought from the way the early part of the season went. My goal is 10 gallons, I don't know if I'll get there but it looks possible from here.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #14
Buckladd

Pulled my taps over the weekend and got in another small boil in. My neighbor was going to town Saturday night, and I sat by his boil for a bit too. He was shooting for three gallons, I got about three quarts! I wanted to leave them out as it should be running this week, but April comes with a whole new set of chores. Hope everyone has a good final run!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

We're up to 8 gallons, still looking for one last boil as the temperatures come up this week. Some taps have dried up, so it'll probably be smaller.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #16
58rover

I did 2 boils; 12 & 18 gallons. Ended p with abt 60 ounces. It sure is an all day sucker boiling down sap.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #17
SpencerVT

I made another gallon of Syrup last night. Solid medium amber. Good stuff!
The temperatures in southern Vermont look good for another possible run this week. I am hoping to boil down 100 gallons this week and get 2+ more gallons of syrup. (I have some already in my storage tanks and if we get another run, I'm hoping to hit 100 gallons of sap to boil down). It has indeed been a weird season, but I agree with Zach that it's better than I thought it would be given how the early season went and how late it started. I plan to take down my taps this weekend. Some places in the Northeast are going to go much longer as there is still deep snowpack around the tree trunks and the right temperatures. I was climbing in northern Maine last weekend and I feel like they could go until July! lol, there is still so much snow!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Pulled my taps saturday and finished boiling sunday. Ended up with 2 gallons of syrup ranging from light amber in the beginning to very dark for the last batch. Probably could have left them out for a few more days but I'm sick of dealing with it and have plenty to the family to consume.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
SpencerVT

Pulled my taps and cleaned up the sugarhouse. All I have to say is:
I AM ALREADY DONE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!