Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
kimiemarie

Hiking around Piseco Lake

Hi, I have never been to the Piseco Lake area before and am debating booking a campsite for Point Comfort Campground. The only information I can find for hiking in the area is Panther Mountain/Echo Cliffs. I'm looking for something slightly more challenging/interesting. A moderate hike with a good mountain view. So far I haven't hiked any of the 46ers, but I have done Debar Mountain and Goodnow Mountain, both of which had amazing views. Anything similar to those in the area?

The alternative is instead booking a site for Brown Tract Pond campground, which I know has Cascade Mountain very close.

What should I do guys? Any info would be great. I want to book this soon as I'm going on this last minute trip on Saturday! Thanks!

PS: Of the two campgrounds, Point Comfort and Brown Tract Pond, which would you consider to be the most "remote?"

Last edited by kimiemarie; 07-29-2015 at 12:13 AM..
kimiemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Piseco area has tons of good paddling, and some interesting hikes too, but if you're looking for climbs and views, you need to look elsewhere. If you want a more challenging hike, T Lake falls is not too distant as the crow flies, but it would be a bushwhack. Is that what you have in mind?

As far as "remoteness", none of the campgrounds at Piseco will seem "remote".
Browns Tract will be quieter and more removed from the mainstream for sure.
Cascade Mt that is nearby (in the Pigeon Lakes Wilderness) would also be a bushwhack, and I'm not sure about any views from there, it is likely a wooded summit. The Cascade Mt. that most people know (a high peak) is near Rt 73 between Keene and Lake Placid.

If I were you, I would go to Lake Harris instead, and hike to nearby Mt Adams, for spectacular, intimate views of the high peaks. That hike would be on a marked and maintained trail, and is moderately challenging, quite steep near the top.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

There are some views (though not a full 360 degrees) from the Cascade Mountain near Brown's Tract but there is no trail. It is an easy bushwhack but I would think there would be better choices if you were traveling around the area anyway.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Herkimite

The trailhead for Snowy Mountain is only about 25 miles from Piseco, on Route 30 north of Speculator. Snowy is about 100 feet shy of being a high peak and has great views. You're also within striking distance of Pillsbury Mountain, although the last mile and a half of road to that trailhead is a bit iffy for a passenger car. There's good views from the firetower on Pillsbury. Snowy also has a firetower.
Herkimite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
kimiemarie

Thank you so much for the info guys! This was all extremely helpful.

So complete change of plans! I am booked for Forked Lake campground instead. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the ADK region, so would Mt Adams be close-ish? The description of that hike sounds like what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions for hiking in the area with views? I am still kind of new at this so I'm not looking to go bushwhacking. One day though!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
kimiemarie

I also see Owls Head Mountain pretty close to Forked Lake. Any opinions on that one?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiemarie View Post
I also see Owls Head Mountain pretty close to Forked Lake. Any opinions on that one?
Not a bad hike at all, good views.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiemarie View Post
Thank you so much for the info guys! This was all extremely helpful.

So complete change of plans! I am booked for Forked Lake campground instead. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the ADK region, so would Mt Adams be close-ish? The description of that hike sounds like what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions for hiking in the area with views? I am still kind of new at this so I'm not looking to go bushwhacking. One day though!
The trail head for Mt Adams is 37 miles from the campsite. The views are fantastic. Near the trail head is the historic McIntyre blast furnace, it's worth a look.
Much closer to Forked is Blue Mt, it too has great views, but will be less challenging.
For a short hike, also nearby is Castle Rock, right on the shores of Blue Mt Lake.
And along the access road to Forked is Buttermilk Falls, stop there, you'll like it.
Forked is a nice, quiet campground, many sites are water access only. Do you have a boat? Or did you book a walk to site?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote