Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
jbrown

Twin Lakes Dam Trail

Hi All,

I'm looking for someplace to do a not-too-challenging day hike on the weekend of the 22nd, and the trail in to Twin Lakes in Forestport looks pretty good to me, but I've never been there before.

Does anyone know how accessible the trailhead usually is this time of year? I don't want to get up there and find that I can't get within 5 miles of the parking area.

Also, any firsthand knowledge of this trail from anyone would be appreciated.

Lastly, if anyone has a suggestion for a different day hike in the general vicinity, i.e. about a 50 mile radius, feel free to let me know about that too, I'm open to suggestions. So far it's just me, my snowshoes, and a kettle to make some coffee (other gear too, of course, but you get the idea...)

I'm just looking forward to getting out of the city for a day.

Thanks!!!

Josh.
jbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for someplace to do a not-too-challenging day hike on the weekend of the 22nd, and the trail in to Twin Lakes in Forestport looks pretty good to me, but I've never been there before.

Does anyone know how accessible the trailhead usually is this time of year? I don't want to get up there and find that I can't get within 5 miles of the parking area.

Also, any firsthand knowledge of this trail from anyone would be appreciated.
This is one of Bill Ingersoll's favorite areas, and I enjoy it too. He has a detailed description on it in his guide book, Discover the Southwestern Adirondacks. This edition is slated for a remake with all new hikes, due to come out later this year. He thinks that winter is the best time to visit this area due to extensive wetlands.

I've not been there in the winter, but it should not be too difficult. The North Lake Road is plowed from Forestport, and I'm sure the Farr Road is too. The trailhead is .6 miles south of Reeds Pond. You can't miss the road junction, but the trailhead could be missed in winter. Look for a widening of the road shoulder on your left, if heading south.

You'll pass by a beaver pond about a half mile before you get to the lower of the Twin Lakes. It can be challenging in spring, but should be no problem now frozen over.

The "lakes" are not really lakes anymore. You'll see an impressive very expansive fairly dry marsh, which even in summer is walkable without getting wet in most places. What is left of the bodies of water is rather shallow and small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twin.jpg (54.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg T2.jpg (36.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg S1.jpg (79.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg S2.jpg (33.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Herkimite

I skied this trail a few years ago and very much enjoyed it. I've also been on the trail several times in summer/fall and never met anyone else at the parking area or on the trail. I can't remember how well the parking area was plowed out. It wouldn't hurt to have a snow shovel in the car in case you need to dig out a little spot for your car.
Herkimite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
You'll pass by a beaver pond about a half mile before you get to the lower of the Twin Lakes. It can be challenging in spring, but should be no problem now frozen over.

The "lakes" are not really lakes anymore. You'll see an impressive very expansive fairly dry marsh, which even in summer is walkable without getting wet in most places. What is left of the bodies of water is rather shallow and small.

IIRC, the area was dammed for part of the water supply for the Black River and/or Erie Canals, thus forming the "lakes".

I also think the canal corp gave these lakes to the Forest Preserve as the dam was gone and no longer important as a water supply; how nice of them!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
jbrown

Wow, thanks for all the responses already!

Wldrns, those are some beautiful pictures. Thanks for the road tips. I'll use your info when I'm quadrouple-checking my driving route from Syracuse.

Herkimite, I'm kind of hoping for the same kind of solitude that you've managed to discover there. I'll be sure to have a snowshovel along with my avalanche shovel that will be on my pack. Thanks.

And dundee, that's mostly the story that I got from the ADK guidebook. The remains of the dam are supposed to be visible somewhere along the route, but I'm guessing they'll be buried. (Or hoping they'll be buried.)

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
And dundee, that's mostly the story that I got from the ADK guidebook. The remains of the dam are supposed to be visible somewhere along the route, but I'm guessing they'll be buried. (Or hoping they'll be buried.)

Thanks again!
You better not hope the remains of the dam are buried. When you first reach the south end of the lake you will be standing on a high stone wall that was part of the dam. If buried then we have about 15 feet of snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dam.jpg (92.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
jbrown

Ha ha! Thanks for the correction! I'm looking forward to seeing how buried the remains are, then. Let's see how much snow gets dumped in the next 8 days...
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
colden46

I was just on that trail today. The parking area was well plowed, with enough room for several cars. The beaver pond before the lakes was frozen solid enough, but it was slushy underneath the snow.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
jbrown

That's awesome, Colden46. Thanks so much for the first-hand, new info!