Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

Canoe Camping Near-ish to Lowville

So we are usually coming from the east (Lake George area) but my partner has a work trip in Lowville next week and we were wondering about the best plan for a weekend trip. While we are always up for a new adventure with all the unknowns that come along with it, instead of going in on a Thursday for theoretically better chances at getting a site we'd have to wait until Friday. So I thought it best to ask the experts!

We would also be toting the 6 year old and the puppy/adolescent dog. Shorter carries desirable and we'd love to have the best chance for beautiful flatwater paddling and minimize the anxiety over finding a relatively secluded, swimmable, site.... We see wonderful places that we'd like to try - Lake Lila, some Cranberry sites, Dead Creek Flow... We'd need to borrow a cart for Lila and then worried it might be crowded having never tried it before. But if you folks have ideas for these or other places to consider we'd be so very grateful!! Probably our last shot before school starts. Thanks so much for any advice!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
adkh20

Near Lowville are Stillwater Reservoir and the Beaver River Canoe Route. Check page 13 of the Adirondack Waterways guide: http://visitadirondacks.com/hiking-paddling-guides.htm
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

Thanks! I should mention too that we are looking for as nonmotorized and close to wilderness experience as we can get (during summer that's hard I know!). We love love Hitchens/Bog R./Lows almost to the exclusion of all others so we thought we'd try to expand our horizons a bit!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Herkimite

Francis Lake might fit the bill. Number Four Road from Lowville, then about a mile on Stillwater Road. Very short carry to the lake. As I recall (it's been a while) from the put-in if you look across the lake and a bit to your left you'll see a spit of land extending into the lake. Nice campsite there.
Herkimite is offline   Reply With Quote