Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
bassanglers912

C&R or C&K?

Just reading a bunch of old posts, as I haven't gotten a chance to be on in a while. There has been a lot of talk about catching and releasing, catching and keeping and some great fish pics!
I was wondering, how many practice C&R? How many keep? I guess it would only count for times and areas where harvesting was legal.

As a rule, I put everything (except invasives) back. I grew up in WNY hearing stories about how, "This used to be a good spot" until it got fished out, so everything goes back for my son to catch (and at 3, he's on a good streak!).

What's the verdict?
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassanglers912 View Post
Just reading a bunch of old posts, as I haven't gotten a chance to be on in a while. There has been a lot of talk about catching and releasing, catching and keeping and some great fish pics!
I was wondering, how many practice C&R? How many keep? I guess it would only count for times and areas where harvesting was legal.

As a rule, I put everything (except invasives) back. I grew up in WNY hearing stories about how, "This used to be a good spot" until it got fished out, so everything goes back for my son to catch (and at 3, he's on a good streak!).

What's the verdict?
Great topic!!!
I personally C&R most of the time. There are ponds that can benefit by reducing the brookie population a bit and I have no compunctions against taking a few to eat from those ponds.

For ponds with potential to grow bigger brookies, especially those that also have natural reproduction, I don't take anything. Any fish in those ponds could grow up to be a bruiser. I also ascribe to Lee Wulff's famous quote that "A trout is too valuable to be caught only once". Rich Osthoff, in his book Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Baccountry has an excellent section devoted to trophy fisheries and angling ethics which has really influenced my thinking on this. I've also fished a number of places where this is the management practice and can tell you unequivocally that it works.

Invasives? I'm very partial to the bank release method of C&R, especially when it involves bass or perch in trout ponds and when said fish are out of season.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

To quote Lefty Kregh "You don't have to eat golf balls to enjoy playing golf".

I will keep a fish to eat on occasion, usually one that has been hooked deep and/or is bleeding. And I've eaten a few bass out of Little Tupper and Rock Pond. I've also kept a few fish to eat out of stocked ponds as well, though my total kill for a year may be 4-5 fish.

That said if you need to fish to eat, your probably better off getting a second part time job 10 hours or so a week, you'll eat much better on the extra $ and have a better well balanced diet to boot.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
albert

Fish are fun to catch but there also really tasty so I keep whatever I want to eat then everything else goes back unless there hooked bad that's why they are there so might as well keep some as long as your not going overboard and taking to many from any certain area
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
geogymn

Don't fish too much any more but I'll only keep some if I'm riverside camping.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
BleeckerMtn

In intentionally keep 2-4 small (but legal) trout a year for a shore lunch at one pond that I go to twice a year (this Saturday!!!!). Big ones always go home to tell their buddies about the alien abduction they just went through.

When I bait fished, badly hooked fish were kept if legal size, otherwise they fed the loons. Fly fishing has pretty much eliminated that problem.

Invasives are kept, killed, or released depending on my mood. I don't have any delusions that killing one bass out of little tupper will help the situation at all.
BleeckerMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Crashy

I usually keep all the fish I want to eat, if they are legal. The only exception to this rule is when they are hooked bad, then I keep them.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
58rover

I do both. I let more go than I keep as far as speckles are concerned. I do keep some out of some beaverdams which you can catch 30-40 fish out of in a good day. Never take any home for the freezer, if I'm not going to be able to do them up that day or next they go back for sure.
I do keep some when camping.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
wellsley

I mostly catch and release I'll keep a couple of 25" lakers a year.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Buckladd

I keep every buck I shoot!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
trouthunter

I pretty much stick to C&R (check my signature) but if a fish is badly hooked and probably won't survive I have no problem keeping it rather than it being wasted. I have no problem with people keeping fish as long as it's legal. There are some streams/ponds I fish that are so loaded with brookies I'll take a few for shore lunch but it's only about once a year.
tight lines! <*(((((((<