Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2019, 03:01 AM   #1
mmcmdl

Hello from a newbie to the site !

But by no means a newbie to the ADKs . I've owned 45 acres in the park nearby Stratford and Pleasant Lake for 14 years now . We get up there maybe 10-15 times a year from way down south in Md .

What got us here ? My son played baseball in Cooperstown for many years . We met up with a realtor one evening and here we are .

What kept us there ? Being in the middle of the lakes , mountains and forests . Camping , daytrips , fishing , 4 wheeling and dirt bike riding , shooting the guns ( no hunting ) campfires , local beers and just plain old relaxing .

We hope to retire to our land within the next few years . I've met many friends down in Little Falls , Dolgeville etc which we keep in touch with .

I found this site while visiting YouTube and was watching the Piseco / Powley Rd camping vids . Funny seeing your neighbors places on the computer from 368 miles away .

I will enjoy being here .
mmcmdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Tick Magnet

Welcome to the Forum!

There's some good info here. Not a whole lot about the Stratford area, although I've been there quite a bit over the past few years. My favorite trip in that area is visiting the North Creek Lakes (3rd, 4th, Dexter, Spectacle...) Lot's of good scenery.

If you don't already have it, I recommend getting a copy of "Discover the Southern Adirondacks" by Bill Ingersoll. It has a wealth of knowledge of the area and will get you excited for a dozen or so day trips from the Stratford/Pleasant Lake area. It's my go-to reference for trip research.

I moved back to NY from MD about 12 years ago because I could only get up to the cabin once or twice a year. My hat's off to you for making that drive 10-15 times. Oye!
Old 12-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
mmcmdl

Thanks for the welcome and recommendations Tick . I have subscribtions to all the ADK magazines and enjoy reading them . We find something new everytime we get up . Our little area is getting re-vitalized recently . The store at the bottom of the rd ( Southern Adirondack General Store ) is doing very well . Steve and Cherl are doing great . I always wanted to buy the place when Anita retired but they beat me to it . I get to ride the 4 wheelers down now and stock up on essentials instead of driving into Dolgeville .

Was trying to get up for New Years eve and spent it at Pleasant Lake Inn but work kinda changed my plans .

I do envy anyone getting the opportunity to live year round up in the mountains . I'm looking forward to it one day .

One question I have . How do you enter Ferris Lake Wild Forest area ? Is this off of Piseco Rd ? On google maps it's shown 1/2 mile above my property and I've never been there . TIA .

Last edited by mmcmdl; 12-31-2019 at 03:49 AM..
mmcmdl is offline   Reply With Quote