Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
SpencerVT

POLL: Your longest day?

POLL: What is the longest day you've ever had hiking?

I've never broken 16 hours.
16 was the longest marathon hike I've ever endured when I climbed Marcy, Gray, Skylight, Haystack, Basin and Saddleback.

The Catskill Bushwhack range took me 15 1/2 hours: Wittenburg, Cornell, Friday, Balsam Cap, Rocky, Lone, Table, Peekamoose.

After a climb completely goes around the clock (more than 12 hours), it just gets increasingly insane from there!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Mine would be 14+ hours to all 3 Santa’s with a group of people once, finally had to tell everybody I need to pick up the pace a bit, otherwise it probably would’ve been closer to 16+.
No thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Hear the Footsteps

Does being out of gas and slow count? It was 18 or 19 hrs. I think closer to 19 hrs. An attempt at Ed Bunk's 'Circle of Doom' in reverse.

What I did finish starting about 2am from the Garden: Big Slide, Yard, Phelps, Tabletop, Marcy, Gray, Skylight, into and out of Panther Gorge, Haystack, Horse Hill, finishing at the Garden about 10 pm. It included at least 1 hour of stoppage time (30 min each) at Mt Marcy and Haystack plus usual short stops.

If it had gone right it would included Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, UWJ, LWJ. Too much for me. When I stopped I'd estimated it had been about 10,000' vertical climbing. A minimum of 10,000' vertical was a requirement of my partner that day. I know people that have done it in less than 14 hrs including my partner who repeated and completed it a couple weeks later.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
TCD

My longest day was on the Great Range, because I was waiting for a much slower partner - probably 20 hours. (Same partner had done the loop in the past in 12.) We're all good; that partner has agreed not to attempt the range again.

My longest day distance and vertical was from New Russia to RPR, Giant and the Dix Range out to Elk Lake; about 35 miles and about 10K of vertical. Great trip, but about at my limit.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Wldrns

Does continuous paddling a canoe count?

I've done the Adirondack 90 mile "Cannonball" (not an official race) to be paddled and manually portaged from old Forge to Saranac Lake, all in the same calendar day. Have done it 8 times (so far). Depending on weather, water level and which canoe, it averages 19-20 hours to complete. I like to begin at midnight so that I am done before dark on the same day (near the summer solstice date for maximum daylight).

Secondly, the Yukon river Quest race. The first mandatory stop between Whitehorse and Carmacks takes about 21 hours of continuous paddling (beginning at noon, not including several hours since awakening and preparation that same morning). The next stage after Carmacks to the next mandatory rest stop takes about 16 hours. Finally the third stage to the finish at Dawson takes 12-13 hours. Done that 3 times (so far).

Thirdly, the Yukon 1000 mile race rules requires us to paddle for not more than 18 hours/day, camping at where ever that time takes us. We paddle that continuously right to the 18th hour minute each day for 6 days until the finish. Done that twice (so far).
Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
Neil
Kayak-46

21 hours car to car, most of which was off-trail. Pretty much non-stop all day. I was extremely tired at the end of it and glad to see the Averyville parking area.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I don't remember exactly how long it took us time-wise (I want to say maybe 16-18 hours?), but my longest day distance-wise was 40 miles on foot. In college, my roommate and I day hiked the Jackrabbit Trail on a bet. We won the bet.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

My son has done the Wasatch 100 ultra marathon several times, once in just under 24 hours. 100 miles, close to 28,00 feet of vertical gain and the same for descent. That earned him induction into the Royal Order of the Crimson Cheetah. 100 miles (mostly trail), close to 28,00 feet of vertical gain and the same for descent. Does that count?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Viking

Very timely - my wife and I were just talking about ours.

My best (worst?) was when we completed Ha-Ba-Sa for my 46. I am old and I hike slowly so put in 22 hours. Left the Garden Friday nite at 11:20 pm and returned at 9:20 the next day. PERFECT September day so there was a good bit of dawdling on our part. Sunrise on Little Haystack and literally ambled the entire hike. Having read abut the Cliffs for years I was very interested in developing my own interpretation.

Key to the fun - driving up to the Garden was met with steady traffic from those that found the lot at capacity - spoke with a couple of them. As we made our circuit of the lot a pair of back-up lights came on and presto - had a spot.

I have another that was almost as long, but since it was shorter by a bit and the result of pure, unadulterated stupidity on my part I'll just let that one be.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
rickhart

GRT three summers ago: 20 hours. I was very disappointed, since I estimated something in the higher teens based on experience. But it was dark by the time I got down from Marcy to the range trail jct, and I don't know the Phelps Trail between that jct and Johns Brook Lodge very well (I've almost always approached Marcy & the upper range either from the north, south, or up the range.) I found it hard to stay on that stretch in the dark, not nearly as easy as the Van Ho or Calamity Brook. I've thought of trying to do it again & get into a respectable teens time range, but I'm getting slower, not faster...
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
Conk

In preparation for a solo canoe paddle across Lake Ontario, I made several practice trips on the Finger Lakes, each covering 40+ miles without stops. My longest nonstop river paddle was 55 miles in 15hours.

A windy day paddling the length of Seneca Lake, only 36 miles, was harder than the trip to Canada. The Ontario crossing was 41 miles in 13˝ hours. There was no hiking involved in this journey but together with prelaunch preparations and the powerboat ferry home, the trip required thirty, rather intense hours without sleep.
http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/-ontario-lake-crossing.html
Conk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
bmike-vt

Don't have a longest day hiking that compares to anyone here.
On a bike though... longer than a day.
25 hours for 400k lap around VT ridden in one go... Waterbury, Montpelier, Norwich, Springfield, Putney, Newfane, Grafton, Ludlow, Pittsfield, Waterbury...
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #13

No idea exact number of hours, but Sewards as kid, with the whole family and dog. Started at Ward Brook leanto, headed up Seward from north, thunderstorms hit when we hit Emmons. Rather than risk going back on ridge, we bailed down to Cold River. Incredible blowdown and tight trees- shredded ponchos and skin. Got to trail around dusk. Plodded back by flashlight (headlamps not a thing yet). Crashed in some leanto that had a horse shed (memory very spotty), then resumed after resting a bit. Arrived leanto completely wiped out. Managed Seymour the next day with part of the party.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #14
SpencerVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
Don't have a longest day hiking that compares to anyone here.
On a bike though... longer than a day.
25 hours for 400k lap around VT ridden in one go... Waterbury, Montpelier, Norwich, Springfield, Putney, Newfane, Grafton, Ludlow, Pittsfield, Waterbury...
I live right near Putney and Newfane - that is indeed a LONG bike ride with lots of roller coaster terrain you did.
I tried to bike one day from Burlington VT to Brattleboro. Didn't quite make it all the way, but I got close. Some relentless hilly roads in Vermont.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
I live right near Putney and Newfane - that is indeed a LONG bike ride with lots of roller coaster terrain you did.
I tried to bike one day from Burlington VT to Brattleboro. Didn't quite make it all the way, but I got close. Some relentless hilly roads in Vermont.
Nice! I used to live in Putney, had a small office above the old bookstore back when the Front Porch Cafe was still there. Hung out at West Hill a lot... one of my favorite places.

Yes, route was rollercoaster for sure - . We even did School House Rd. to East West Rd. to the bridge for good measure.

My writeup:

http://littlecirclesvt.com/2011/05/a-brevet-of-400k/
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2505 View Post
No idea exact number of hours, but Sewards as kid, with the whole family and dog. Started at Ward Brook leanto, headed up Seward from north, thunderstorms hit when we hit Emmons. Rather than risk going back on ridge, we bailed down to Cold River. Incredible blowdown and tight trees- shredded ponchos and skin. Got to trail around dusk. Plodded back by flashlight (headlamps not a thing yet). Crashed in some leanto that had a horse shed (memory very spotty), then resumed after resting a bit. Arrived leanto completely wiped out. Managed Seymour the next day with part of the party.
You took the long way home! I've bushwhacked Emmons twice from the Cold River so I know what you describe must have been horrifficaly bad. You must have been a happy crew when you finally hit the NPT. And then the miles and miles of slogging with plenty of ups and downs. I can't believe you did Seymour the next day.

A little late now but I think it would have been less mileage to have bushwhacked due west to the Calkins truck road and back to camp.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #17
Bark Eater Too

Longest elapsed time was a day trip up Kings Peak in Utah, 15 hours - 4 am - 7 pm for about 29 miles. Great memories! I've logged 50 miles on foot twice in the JFK 50 ultra, luckily I was running and it was much faster!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #18
arvinsmee

Longest time: ~18 hrs for the Great Range Traverse
Longest distance: 44 miles for the MD Challenge on the AT.

The Great Range was probably the hardest day hike I've ever done, much harder than the Devils Path or Presidential Range. I'd like to do it again sometime, but it'd be tough to get in the sort of shape I was in when I hiked that. I've also had my eyes on doing the Pemi Loop as a day hike, but that's going to require some serious prep as well.
arvinsmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #19
rickhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinsmee View Post
Longest time: ~18 hrs for the Great Range Traverse
Longest distance: 44 miles for the MD Challenge on the AT.

The Great Range was probably the hardest day hike I've ever done, much harder than the Devils Path or Presidential Range. I'd like to do it again sometime, but it'd be tough to get in the sort of shape I was in when I hiked that. I've also had my eyes on doing the Pemi Loop as a day hike, but that's going to require some serious prep as well.
I can't imagine doing the Pemi loop in a day. I've done the parts of it, but never the whole. I think what would do me in is the Garfield Ridge section in the middle, no matter which direction I did the loop in. I've underestimated Garfield Ridge several times: it's always rougher, and has more ups & downs, than I remember.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote