Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #21
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I watched the entire series and really enjoyed it. It seemed to adhere closely to everything I had read about the escape in the newspapers through the years.

Just now I read most of the Inspector General's report...My god!! It reads like a movie script. Wait, it was a movie script, or became one. I encourage anyone that believes artistic license was taken by Ben Stiller, should take the time to read that report. Man, many scenes are lifter straight out of the report, and some of the dialog is actually word for word from the sworn and corroborated evidence and interviews.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #22
Justin
Moving along

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the series, despite the numerous long, drawn out scenes throughout just about every episode.
I thought I had remembered reading or seeing on one of the many reports about the investigation that Sweat had mentioned he was able to gaze at a stunningly star-lit Adirondack sky on the night of his birthday, but instead the audience is treated to him cleaning up Matt’s diarrhea that night, followed by another long drawn out scene of Matt crossing a street, drinking, and drawing more pictures of horses on a camper wall. Also, I thought it was reported that the State Trooper who took down Sweat dropped to one knee before firing...?
Very minor details I realize, just sharing a couple thoughts I had on the final episode. Overall I thought it was very well done. God bless that Lyle Mitchell.
Man..!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
SpencerVT

I still have to watch the last two episodes.
I read Joyce Mitchell was pretty irate at Ben Stiller for how he portrayed things.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
I read Joyce Mitchell was pretty irate at Ben Stiller for how he portrayed things.
I bet. Who is going to believe anything she says, except her husband?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #25
Lucky13

I get the feeling that the dragging in scenes was intended to create tension, a feeling similar to the long sameness of prison with the short intense moments leading them to " freedom." Other details I noticed, the outside escape scenes were filmed at the right time of year in terms of leaf out and understory foliage, and the background sounds in a lot of the evening footage when they were in the woods or near the various cabins, was calling American Toads, definitely correct for the time of year of the escape, and a little later than they peak down in the flatlands.

I would not expect Joyce Mitchell to be happy with her portrayal, but it does seem to jibe with the facts of the case that were presented in the press. I'm sure John Wilkes Booth saw things differently than they come off in American History books, too!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #26
Justin
Moving along

It’s nice to know that you can tell if a stream is safe enough to drink from or not by smelling it first.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #27
Lucky13

It is likely that Giardia was the least of their worries, if they even knew about Giardia. Runoff from a failing leech field (I know, there are none of those in the 'daks ) or some other more direct source of infection could account for Matt's "intestinal discomfort", and might manifest as odors (although I would be looking at color and clarity more.) They were obviously thirsty, the first thing they checked when breaking in was the water system, but most of those camps looked like hunting camps ands no one had turned their water on for the season yet (although I thought he did flush the toilet after cleaning up.)
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #28
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I bet. Who is going to believe anything she says, except her husband?
No one will believe everything she says (not even her hubby), but few things she says have been repeatedly brought up by others with nothing to show for it...
Clinton has remained a mess as late as 2017 (after IG reports), and is probably not much better now.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...a-13504349.php
Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #29
Wldrns

i just finished watching the finale. I was a little disappointed that the DEC and rangers were not featured in any way. And that the proper search line was not shown. it is not to be a broad horizontal march through the woods. it is supposed to be set for best clue search efficiency at an angle of 30-45 degrees, with each searcher following, or guiding off his/her searcher moving slightly ahead to the left or right. It starts with the first person guiding off a previously laid out string or linear natural feature. 10-30 seconds or more later (depending on the terrain and progress) the next person steps off when the first has advanced to the proper angle, and so on down the line to the last person. The normal search team is 8-12 members or so. I talked with rangers who were so far down the line of hundreds of searchers (all exclusively law enforcement in this case) that from the time the first person stepped off, it was almost a half hour before the ranger's turn came.

Last edited by Wldrns; 01-07-2019 at 08:56 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #30
Justin
Moving along

I got a kick out of Spider playing Cuomo...
Old 01-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #31
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I got a kick out of Spider playing Cuomo...
The characters are strikingly similar.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #32
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
The characters are strikingly similar.

“What, you got me on a pay no mind list?”

Oh the irony!

Last edited by Justin; 01-08-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #33
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

The 'best' part was Black Flies appearing on cue right after the scene where the two cons find an assortment of bug repellent in a hunting cabin.

The locals, of course, are there to gawk at the officials, requiring 'crowd control' to clear the path for convoys. They (local residents) did not have to spend time stuck in lines at checkpoints and weren't inconvenienced at all as a result of corruption and incompetence...

"Tilly Bags" name should be picked up by TSA and vendors - catchier than "clear plastic compartments". Maybe Ziplock will start making them?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #34
SpencerVT

This whole series left me feeling really bad for Lyle Mitchell.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #35
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
This whole series left me feeling really bad for Lyle Mitchell.
Uhmmm,
He was diddling with another man's wife...he also knowingly helped Tilly gain sole custody of her son.

I don't think anybody in the story is squeaky clean.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #36
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Dennis (the first CO guard in the sewing room) seemed like he had a hunch something was up, even confronted Lyle about it, and asked Tilly “why do you need him (Matt)”... Then in a later episode Dennis was replaced by a different guard, but I don’t recall if they mentioned his name, or why Dennis was replaced as the sewing room guard...?

Last edited by Justin; 01-10-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #37
SpencerVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Uhmmm,
He was diddling with another man's wife...he also knowingly helped Tilly gain sole custody of her son.

I’m a moron and always like 20 minutes behind in the plot of life.
Was Lyle messing with another dudes wife revealed in Episode 6?....I fell asleep for part of that episode. Doh! Either that or that fact went over my head and I missed it.
#poormoviecomprehensionskills
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #38
hike53

DOCCS allows officers to "Bid" their posts by seniority. "Dennis" (Trombley was his real name) Bid another post in another location in the facility and subsequently his post in Tailor 1 went up for bid. His successor appears(in the IG report) to have been stricter than Trombley and thusly not "liked" as much. I was assigned to Tailor 1 back in 1981 and it was probably one of my toughest assignments that I ever had in my career. on a side note.. We used to have to check bars and cells for integrity as well as regular inspections from the "catwalks" behind the cells. I had not been in Clinton since the early 80's and was saddened by the complacency of staff members . I never really noticed that attitude when I worked there. The civilian staff that were assigned the Tailor shops were good people. Joyce Mitchell and Gene Palmer were typical examples of what we were NOT supposed to be. I enjoyed Ben Stillers' production.
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #39
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

It appears David Sweat isn't a fan...

Interesting that he points out details while being in solitary and having not seen any of it.