Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 PM   #41
pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
But you feel compelled to break the law by passing unsafely when a bicycle is in the lane, or part of the lane?
what? read back tough guy. i honestly dont know where the hell you are going with this.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:31 PM   #42
adkman12986

All I CASN SAY IS WOW
Old 09-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #43
montcalm
Mobster

AHahahaha. Based on the forum rage here, I'd hate to see the road rage.

Don't let those bikes run you off the road! Flex your muscle because you have a 2 ton vehicle
Old 09-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #44
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
AHahahaha. Based on the forum rage here, I'd hate to see the road rage.

Don't let those bikes run you off the road! Flex your muscle because you have a 2 ton vehicle
How about a little consideration on both sides
Old 09-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #45
Lucky13

"2. Keep the yellow line(s) on the left, unless it is safe to cross in order to pass something in your lane."

It is my understanding that you do not cross solid yellow lines for anything, only dashed yellow lines allow crossing to pass or overtake.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #46
Riosacandaga
soggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBeqLtYRQ7k

Wait for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5vOkkQVvM
Old 09-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #47
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
"2. Keep the yellow line(s) on the left, unless it is safe to cross in order to pass something in your lane."

It is my understanding that you do not cross solid yellow lines for anything, only dashed yellow lines allow crossing to pass or overtake.
Which would make pigpen’s heart jumping pass illegal - especially into a blind corner.

But -

Really depends on the state - here in VT it is legal to cross a double yellow to pass a cyclist or other hazard so long as it is clear and safe. I believe Maine and NH updated their laws about passing when they passed the 3’ safe passing rule.

I would love to see drivers obey traffic laws as strictly as they would like to enforce them on cyclists and other road users.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #48
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
Which would make pigpen’s heart jumping pass illegal - especially into a blind corner.

But -

Really depends on the state - here in VT it is legal to cross a double yellow to pass a cyclist or other hazard so long as it is clear and safe. I believe Maine and NH updated their laws about passing when they passed the 3’ safe passing rule.

I would love to see drivers obey traffic laws as strictly as they would like to enforce them on cyclists and other road users.
Regardless of that, even if you pass someone in a dashed passing zone and were to hit the car you are passing or the oncoming vehicle, it would be your fault. One must pass with caution and consideration of the vehicle that is being passed as well as oncoming traffic.

It's no different passing a bicycle as it is passing another vehicle.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #49
Neil
Kayak-46

This thread is useless. Started as a rant and went downhill from there. Cars vs. bikes. Canoes vs. motor boats. Hikers vs. hunters. Cross-country skiers vs. snowshoers (who wreck their trails). Dog-lovers vs. dog-haters. I'm sure there are other opposed groups. With polarized arguments such as this nothing is ever resolved but people do end up walking away angry.