Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

Bad River Website

River Facts Has anybody been to this website. It is such a joke. Every description of every river is the same. Not to mention, it's totally inaccurate. I don't know why there is even a New York section.

Last edited by Wildernessphoto; 12-05-2005 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: fix link
southernadkhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernadkhiker
River Facts Has anybody been to this website. It is such a joke. Every description of every river is the same. Not to mention, it's totally inaccurate. I don't know why there is even a New York section.
Joke has to be the word for it. If you think the rivers section is bad, try clicking on one of the links to a lake! Its as though some computer program selects a bunch of other "nearby" (hardly nearby!) places at random and assigns some sort of "descriptive sentence" to it ("Lake xxx is great fun any day," etc.). Weird.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
Riosacandaga
soggy

go to

It looks like some of the info is from here : http://awa.org/rivers/state/NY/ at least the inventory list. They do reference AWA, that's good.
What's inaccurate ?
The source for Whitewater in NY check here : www.whitewateroutlaw.com

I went back and checked their Idaho rivers, it all seems fairly accurate to me... The descriptions are lame , if you don't have a clue as to the grades then the meter is ... I guesss... ok. The maps are a decent link. Some of the put-ins and take-outs are a little more involved then the maps show.

Last edited by Riosacandaga; 12-05-2005 at 08:41 AM..
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet
Likes to hike

I think it's a page designed to get as many hits as possible by including as many geographical search terms as they can cram in there (notice all the Google ads).

This site is pretty similar...
http://www.goingoutside.com/
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet
I think it's a page designed to get as many hits as possible by including as many geographical search terms as they can cram in there (notice all the Google ads).
Ding! We have a winner.

It's a promotion strategy in order to drive traffic from search engines to their pages, with hopes of generating revenue from the banner ads on those pages. It borders on scam since the intent is to make money while pretending to be a resource. Problem with some of these type of sites is the content is either completely inaccurate, incomplete, or out of date. The owner of the site won't update the info either, which compounds the problem. It's a bit dangerous considering an unsuspecting internet user may not see it for what it really is and rely of what could be completely inaccurate planning data, etc.

Sounds like someone's trying real hard to make a few extra dollars...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Riosacandaga
soggy

Kevin, I see what you mean. Mike

But what about the information ? What's not accurate ? I don't plan on bookmarking the site but it is neat how it comes up with other features nearby.
Mike
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote