Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #61
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I plan to camp out tonight in front of the warm fireplace, sipping on an inspiring beverage thinking of you and that raging snowstorm which is supposed to bring at least 8 inches of new snow. It brings me joy knowing that there are still hearty souls who brave the wind, cold, and crappy weather to enjoy the nostalgia of parading critters and those who prance about enjoying the freedom of brutal conditions. Ah yes an unheated tent brings back memories watching SEALS getting their daily exercise while in shorts braving the snow showers of the season while I was training at Little Creek. Such fond bursts of occasional memory. Have fun.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #62
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Looks like some winter-like conditions for much of the Adirondacks this weekend...Woohoo! Anyone else have camping plans?

I'm hiking Pharaoh Mountain tomorrow and then taking Schultzz advice by drinking an inspiring beverage.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:26 AM   #63
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Looks like some winter-like conditions for much of the Adirondacks this weekend...Woohoo! Anyone else have camping plans?

No outdoors plans this weekend but thinking of taking a trip next weekend. Leaning more towards day hiking and sleeping under a roof at night as it'll just be me. Still contemplating though...
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #64
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
I plan to camp out tonight in front of the warm fireplace, sipping on an inspiring beverage thinking of you and that raging snowstorm which is supposed to bring at least 8 inches of new snow. Have fun.
Thanks Schultzie, enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
I'm hiking Pharaoh Mountain tomorrow and then taking Schultzz advice by drinking an inspiring beverage.
Nice, Iíll be over at Rock Pond, sipping on IPAís by a warm campfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post

No outdoors plans this weekend but thinking of taking a trip next weekend. Leaning more towards day hiking and sleeping under a roof at night as it'll just be me. Still contemplating though...
I wish our fearless AWE leader would post some more trips.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #65
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:

Nice, I’ll be over at Rock Pond, sipping on IPA’s by a warm campfire.
How'd you make out? The wind was pretty fierce. I took Schultzz's advice and stayed inside by the wood stove with a bit of bourbon.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #66
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
How'd you make out? The wind was pretty fierce. I took Schultzz's advice and stayed inside by the wood stove with a bit of bourbon.
I found me a nice little spot in the corner out of the wind...

Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #67
bioguide

Quote:
I did... and went Thursday - Sunday. Here's a brief video of Saturday afternoon/night. Woohoo is right:

https://youtu.be/buKvlNlL5fk

Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #68
Pauly D.

Nice Bio! I was plodding around the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area this weekend and looking forward to this years inaugural winter campout. There was 8 inches of snow atop Pharaoh Mountain.

Justin did you get a new tent? Once again it looks like you found a stash of firewood.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #69
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
I did... and went Thursday - Sunday. Here's a brief video of Saturday afternoon/night. Woohoo is right:

https://youtu.be/buKvlNlL5fk

Nice!
Yup, I was reading 21F on my little thermometer gizmo this morning.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #70
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Justin did you get a new tent? Once again it looks like you found a stash of firewood.
No thatís an old solo tent that I used years ago before Jenny. Havenít used it in a while.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #71
bluequill

Quote:
No thatís an old solo tent that I used years ago before Jenny. Havenít used it in a while.
Is that a "clip flashlight"? I have one that is almost as old as you! Still use it now and then. Great little tent......the only drawback is that it is not free standing. But it never let me down in the heaviest of downpours.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #72
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Is that a "clip flashlight"? Great little tent......the only drawback is that it is not free standing. But it never let me down in the heaviest of downpours.
Yup, agreed, and not a very good tent for winter...I had it collapse on me during a heavy snow fall several years ago.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #73
tenderfoot

Definitely would be interested in a gathering of sorts.

We've winter hammock camped down to 0F or so without the benefit of a roaring fire. Trying to decide if I invest in a low weight hot tent set up or invest in sub zero hammock quilts.

I do love the idea of being able to step inside and warm up a bit. Have considered smaller hot tents almost as a warming shelter. I love Seek Outside's collection of tepees but pricey. Luxe Hiking seems less expensive - not sure if winter gear is wear one wishes to save money though.

Also, a lot of the 'some assembly required' stoves intimidate me. Seems on cold mornings both my manual dexterity and IQ seem to dip. A pulk may be the answer.