Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #61
skillzman1

Took advantage of the fresh snow this morning. Hunted through the ledges and ridges looking below into the stiff wind. Finally, I see the silhouette of a head staring at me 120yds away as a nice 5 pointer stood up out of his bed to see what was making noise in the snow behind him. 2018 tag filled.
Hunting a mountain that is as ledgie as the come, that I've been hunting for the last 8 yrs and part of the range of mountains my ancestors have hunted for over 200 yrs. Gives a certain sense of accomplishment.
Trying to figure my way through the ledges in the snow and a pair of small does stood up from the beech brush below me and walked off slowly. I believe they tipped the buck off as they trotted by. I watched them go and then started picking my way down through, cautiously, due to the snow and the 40% grade under the ledges. I stopped and looked around and there he was staring at me head on about 120 yds out, between trees. I thought it was one of the does at first, brought my rifle down off my shoulder sling, twisted the scope up to about 6, pulled into the brush he was standing in, realized it had a rack and squeezed off a round from my .308 BLR. Dropped him right in his bed with a neck shot!
Then I got to drag him a mile out of the woods all by myself. Thank you for the snow and down hill!!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #62
Stillhunter

Great hunt and story Skillzman! Congratulations and enjoy the Holidays even more now that you have been successful. Good shooting by the way. 120 is not a chip shot.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #63
geogymn

Nice hunt, that was fun!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #64
sleepy

Just got back from the annual week long hunt in the Tupper Lake region, Tough week with a lot of rain and it seemed like a lot of leaves still on trees. A few deer sighted but very little buck sign in the woods and no deer taken.

Curious to hear anyone's opinion on the beech brush in the ADKs. I hiked into one of my best areas and the ridge was like a jungle with the beech brush. Are the woods changing? A lot of the trees with leaves were still green and the density of the brush was unbelievable seemed like there aren't many mature beeches left.

Anybody experiencing this change?
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #65
bioguide

Congratulations to all those that have filled their tag... so far. I've enjoyed the write ups of your hunts.

We pulled camp today after having spent a total of 12 days over muzzle and regular season. Overall we saw little sign in rubs/scrapes compared to prior years and seemed to have encountered more moose browse than in years past. I've got to change it up somehow for next year so back to the topo maps this winter.

Sleepy, you might like to read this article about the changing forest: https://www.esf.edu/communications/n...ronforests.pdf
Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #66
sleepy

BioGuide
Thanks for the link very interesting article on the long term trends of the ADK forest. Nice to see that folks are looking at the long term trends and not the short term widow so many use to judge the environment
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #67
Buckladd

Had a good weekend in the woods. Seeing more buck sign, especially rubs, each day. I think the rut is happening but slow. Saturday was sloppy as we had six-inches of snow. Sunday was a little better, but crunchier. We got bucks each day: a 4-pointer that went 138 and a small 3 that was shot by my buddy who came up from Florida and hasn't gotten a deer since the 1970s.

I'm off all this week, headed for camp today for a bit and then my brother's camp in Cranberry Lake on Thursday for the weekend. He travelled in from Arizona and I'd like to see him get a deer.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #68
Mallard1100

Just got back from my club in Long Lake. It was a great week aside from missing what would have been my first chance at an adk buck. I have been hunting a long meadow and misjudged the yardage. later ranged at 275 yards. Quite the shot for the adks. I did find a small amount of blood and with a fresh track my inner Benoit shined and I told myself I would track this deer until dark. I got on the track and immediately this wise ridge runner began to punish me, taking me up and down a mountain face for 3 hours. I jumped him twice at close to 30 yards but had no shot on a mountain completely covered in short beech full of leaves. Much of what the previous poster stated. I lost the track after he got into some clear cuts. Heart breaking situation but a learning experience none the less. Not much rut sign but the club saw a ton of doe just no bucks in tow. The club that borders us shot a nice 9pt 200lber. Hopefully next year will be my year...... always an adventure up there.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #69
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
Just got back from my club in Long Lake. It was a great week aside from missing what would have been my first chance at an adk buck. I have been hunting a long meadow and misjudged the yardage. later ranged at 275 yards. Quite the shot for the adks. I did find a small amount of blood and with a fresh track my inner Benoit shined and I told myself I would track this deer until dark. I got on the track and immediately this wise ridge runner began to punish me, taking me up and down a mountain face for 3 hours. I jumped him twice at close to 30 yards but had no shot on a mountain completely covered in short beech full of leaves. Much of what the previous poster stated. I lost the track after he got into some clear cuts. Heart breaking situation but a learning experience none the less. Not much rut sign but the club saw a ton of doe just no bucks in tow. The club that borders us shot a nice 9pt 200lber. Hopefully next year will be my year...... always an adventure up there.
Strange that the bucks aren't chasing the does. Just 20 miles (Tupper Lake area) they have been chasing them for a week now.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote