Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #61
Tioga

Yep..like them there Adirondacks.....

Okay....age 47..married...2 kids. Have a place w/a couple of hay-burners(horses) outside of Owego, NY. Work for local Sheriff's dept. Army Reservist(24yr)...Once-in-a-while camper/backpacker. Last 10 years or so have mostly backpacked W/SW ADK's(quieter-less people). Have always been amazed at the perception many folks in other parts of the U.S. have of upstate("It's just an extended suburb of NYC, right?"....sure..and everyone in California must have a surfboard or two....). At any rate, HI to all here.
Tioga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:54 PM   #62
Hakuna Matada

New to the forum so I will introduce myself. I'm a middle aged, over-wieght, out of shape mother of 3 daughters and grandmother of 3 grandsons. (pretty picture huh?) I've been following this site for months and I would like to thank everyone for all the information. I have learned a great deal.
I work as a nurse in a nursing home which only reinforces "use it or lose it".
My husband and I started XC-skiing about 20 years ago which led to hiking which led to canoeing which led to kayaking and so forth. Now it has evolved to climbing the High Peaks (13 so far). Climbed our first in July 2002. Cascade and Porter. We almost died but we were hooked. Now we are working on getting in shape for the mountains. They are great motivators.
Anyways Thanks for the forum and all the information that comes from them.
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:20 PM   #63
Boneconsulting

Single 33 year old hiker / backpacker / camper / wilderness guide (part-time) / editor and writer. I live in Albany, and like that fact that I'm within 4 hours of five major mountain ranges. I've been hiking in the Northeast since November of 1998, when I spent a harrowing windswept day and night tramping around Black Mountain on Lake George. Completed my ADK 46 in 2001, five peaks shy of the Catskill 35 and working on the Northeast 115 and US highpoints, but will change plans at the spur of the moment if a fun, new plan is suggested. I'm always looking for new people to hike or camp with and if you're a novice I'll be happy to take you anywhere from small parks around the Capital District to some great places that cannot be found on a trail. Drop me a line.

- Boneconsulting

PS - Bone is an old nickname and my wilderness guiding / writing service is Bone Consulting, hence the screen name. I'm not a doctor, palentologist, osteologist or fortune teller as many have asked in the past.

Last edited by Boneconsulting; 06-28-2004 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Boneconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #64
bachand

I live in Albany, NY and have been hiking for around six years now. I hike all year round and enjoy hiking in all areas of the Adirondacks. I hike mostly by myself but not by choice really, I just haven't found another person who likes it as much as I do.

I recently bought a house in Glenville, NY (outside Albany a bit) and am expecting my first child, a girl, this August.
bachand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:46 AM   #65
michigan24

I am from Michigan as my screen name implies. I live in Traverse City, Michigan which sits on the shores of northern Lake Michigan. When I was in college, I always wanted to go backpacking, but I never had enough money to buy the gear. After I graduated and got a job, I convinced my wife to buy some gear. Our first trip was on North Manitou Island in Lake Michigan. A year after that, we planned a two week vacation and we stopped to backpack in the Adirondacks and the White Mountains on our way to Acadia National Park. After that trip, I fell in love with the mountains! Last summer, we returned to the Adirondacks and we hiked Marcy and the Gothics. This summer will be my third trip back to the Adirondacks. This time I will be taking my sister because my wife is 6 months pregnant and she is busy finishing up her masters degree. I continue to come back to the Adirondacks because it is the closest mountain range to us (13 hr drive) and because I love the ADK's mountains, falls, and streams. If I could, I would move out east to be closer to the mountains.
michigan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:15 PM   #66
Neil
Kayak-46

I'm from Montreal but got turned on to hiking in Lake Louise, Alberta 25 years ago. I worked out there for 5 summers and 2 winters which permantly marked my life. The first summer was such a hoot, imagine hiking (postholing) up a 10,000 foot pass wearing shorts and steel toed construction boots with a huge gashes between the uppers and the soles and loving every minute of it. As Neil Young sang: All of my changes were there.
After school I elected to settle in Montreal with my francophone wife (we met in L. Louise) and between raising a family and starting a business I gained lots of weight and forgot all about hiking. At least an old buddy from my hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I managed to get out on a winter camping trip every year. Then, the kids got older and the business stabilized to the point where I could at least get back into shape. I turned my hiker's eye south to the Dacks but didn't go... After hiking the Rockies extensively, I have to admit, I was a snob. The idea of sharing a summit with more than the people in my group was repugnant to me. (In the meanwhile though, the Canadian Rockies were getting pretty crowded.) Finally, one day, getting tired of just running to be in shape I drove down to the Loj, hiked Marcy and drove home again. I was stiff for 3 days which impressed me favourably. Since then I've done 28 high peaks and have managed to turn one of my 3 kids into a hiking maniac hell bent on becoming a 46er AND a winter 46er to boot.
Living less than a 3 hour drive to the high peaks I now consider myself to be very, very lucky to have such a treasure so close at hand. And guess what? I don't mind sharing a summit with strangers one bit.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #67
Darkstar

Namaste,

I reside in Central New York with two beautiful women, my wife and daughter. Hiking and time outdoors with friends and family is where it is at for me. My college years were spent in the hills of NEPA on my mountainbike and swimming in the Tubs. Traveling around to see the good ole' Grateful Dead and Phish introduced me to the western mountains, the rolling hills of the midwest and great trails away from the east coast. The White Mountains and Adironadacks are my favorite mountains to hike, while the mountains of Vermont are my favorite to mtb and I try to get to both as much as possible. With my work schedule and newborn daughter I have spent less time on the trail and more time on my road bike exploring the hills in my area. I'm an avid cyclist and mountainbiker with a passion for backpacking. This past winter I have put away the snowboard and picked up snowshoes. I hope to summit some peaks in the winter time and see the Adirondacks in a new light.

I am grateful that I stumbled onto this site and have enjoyed reading and learning from all of your posts.

Cheers.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #68
lachman

Very new to the site. 43 yr., married with two kids. I live in Westchester County.

Growing up, the only thing I did outdoors was team sports and long distance running (I was a decent miler and 2-miler) -- but no hiking. Went to college upstate but never stopped to look at the scenery. Then, after law school, entered the work force and worked long hours at large law firms and for many years as a federal prosecutor, where my idea of the outdoors was softball or tennis.

Only recently got into hiking but it is quickly becoming a passion. Have recently done a few hikes in Vermont and the Hudson Highlands, some alone and some with family. Last weekend, went with a high school buddy and did my first high peaks -- Algonquin and Wright from the Loj.

Since I don't camp, can anyone recommend some summer/spring high peak day hikes that I should try next?

Looking forward to learning from the more experienced hikers on this great site.
lachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 PM   #69
LDG99

Howdy!
I'm new to this site too. My name is Lindsay and I'm 23 and I am a graduate student at Syracuse University in NY. I'm originally from Rochester, NY. I love life and along with that I love music and going to shows, playing the guitar, reading, traveling, skiing, wanna go snowshoeing this winter, and of course hiking and camping. I could go on, but I won't.

I decided to start hiking the peaks after I returned from a trip out west to Colorado and Utah. I fell in love with everything there for sure. I wondered how I could've spaced and not spent more time up in the wonderful world that are the adirondack mountains! So in order to make sure I would get there as often as possible I got my family and friends psyched and we all want to hike the peaks <yippee>! Unfortunately I have to be lame and go to school and do work.

Anyway, I'm super busy and probably won't be able to plan any trips beyond just picking up and going whenever possible.

If I see ya on the trail I'll for sure tip my hat to you!!
LDG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:40 AM   #70
Laurie
Administrator

Hi Everyone!
I am Laurie from Rotterdam, NY. I started hiking back in 1990-1992 then stopped and just started again in 2001. I am hoping to conquer all 46 within the next few years.
I work at the post office and am 36, married with NO kids. That way I can go out and play whenever I want!!! I do have 7 cats to make up for not having kids.
I got back into hiking to get the exercise and now that I have a goal, I get to see how far I can push myself to hike these mountains and not to give up. Once I start a mountain I have to finish it...there is no going back!!!
The mountain I hate the most so far....GIANT!!!! Lost a few toenails from that one!!
I hope to run into some of you out there. I do plan on doing some solo hikes soon and may need to ask for advice. See ya out there!
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #71
Laurie
Administrator

Giant did have great views but I wouldnt suggest hiking that mountain as your starter mountain like I did!
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:12 PM   #72
adknbvi

Hi!

My name is Valerie! I only have 4 high peaks under my belt at this point, but I am planning the next trips already. I am seriously a tenderfoot. Grew up near Cleveland. Now living in Wilmington, DE (the flattest state in the union - not much good for ADK training) . My husband (Tim)'s family lives in Ticonderoga, so we hike when we visit, which isn't nearly enough. Tim's dad decided last year that he wanted to be a 46er, so they have been on a lot of trips recently. I just don't have the vacation time available to go on all of them.

I'm a software architect. No kids, just a cat. A very spoiled cancer-surviving cat.

I backpacked in high school, but that was more than half-my-life ago. It also wasn't the High Peaks. I'm working on my "core conditioning" so I won't have to beg for help from my trail-mates on the tough parts.

So far, here are my experiences: 1.) I always see a bear (on the overnights, not the day trips), and 2.) it never rains on me. How long do you think I can keep up the streak? By the way, we are STAUNCH BEAR CANISTER PEOPLE. I wish I could say that it was all about "what's best for the bears", but mostly it's just about me being scared.

Thanks for hosting such a great site! I look forward to reading a lot!
adknbvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #73
Muddler Mike
car keys? back at the summit?

this does sound like an AA meeting...

Hi, I'm Mike. Muddler Mike to my fly fishing buddies but you can call me Muddy

I'm an Oncology Nurse out of Syracuse, NY. I was bitten by the Adirondack bug during a trip to Cranberry Lake at age 4. The boy scouts didn't help much either - especially going to Sabatis. I also took a trip up to Lake Placid when I was about 10-11 yrs old and was unbelievably impressed with some hikers that decided to "walk" up Whiteface as opposed to taking the car. I moved away to Texas during my high school years, but when I returned at 18 yrs old found my longing for the Adirondack High Peak area stronger than ever. I was married to my first wife a couple of years after that and we spent our honeymoon in a leanto on Heart Lake and hiked Marcy during that week, unknowingly beginning my 46.

A couple of years later, one of my patients with Leukemia told me about the 46ers. We had many great conversations, became very close, and when he died he left me his 46er belt buckle. My quest to complete the 46 in his memory began shortly after his death and just before my divorce. My current wife has agreed to complete the 46 with me, but between getting her up on the peaks that I've already completed and taking other family on various trips, I've only logged 9 peaks in 14 years. Not that I'm complaining, I do love the ones I've already done.

So I'm taking my time, but hope to complete the 46 in the next few years. My other hobbies include fishing - especially fly fishing for trout, the obvious hiking/backpacking, bird watching, and I also play the guitar.

tight lines and dry trails everyone,

Muddy

my fishing/hiking blog: http://thewestcanadafreak.blogspot.com/
Muddler Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #74
superglider
Foolish and Sore

Let's say I will never see my first half century again. I hiked extensively in the high peaks in the late 60's and early 70's until Uncle Sam took me to new and exciting places. Have done whitewater kayaking but am more sensible now. My wife and I live in Bolton Landing and have 5 daughters between us and will be empty nesters this fall. College is sure more expensive than when I went!!. I just did Giant for the first time this past weekend (8/14/04) and am paying for it now. I used Hadley mtn and Thomas mtn as warm ups but the trip down Giant quickly reminded me of my past 8 knee operations. Still made it in 6 hours along Roaring Brook and the views were spectacular. I will be doing a week on the trails in mid Oct and will hit a number of new peaks. The lure of the trails still calls and I can't help but enjoy the majesty of mother nature.
superglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #75
geeeiiijo

Next

What's next?
How about Gothics on September 6th?
geeeiiijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 PM   #76
firethrower

hello my brother scott informed me of this site and since we have similar interests i thought i would check it out.i will add more about myself at a later date because typing with one finger gets sore!(i can't type and very good with computers
firethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:14 PM   #77
Dave K

Hi All...

I'm Dave, a 36 year old Project Engineer living in the Finger Lakes. My family has been outdoors types my whole life, and for several generations we've been connected to the Adirondaks through the Ranger School in Wanakena. (Grandfather class of 27 or so, Father class of 48 or so, Aunt was first woman to graduate, uncle is a teacher there, and so on...). Some of the fondest memories of my youth were summer vacations on Cranberry Lake. I went to school at Clarkson up in Potsdam, and worked one college summer in Saranac Lake (fun place for a stupid kid to hang out for a summer).

As far as hiking goes, I'd not done much distance hiking in my youth and no climbing, then about 15 years ago a buddy of mine and I climbed Giant, my first high peak. I don't recall ANYTHING about the hike except for the fact that I spent a lot of it swearing at my buddy and cursing him and all his progeny for 10 generations.

Then after about a four year hiatus I decided to give it another try, but this time I'd been a competition mountain biker for several years... so my fitness level was in a different realm. A buddy and I hiked Elk lake into the Panther Gorge shelter full pack (not at all fun). Then the next day we climbed Haystack, Marcy, Skylight, and Gray. That day was an absolute blast, the climb up Haystack was as memorable as it gets... and we raced up skylight (ahhh to be 24 and 160 lbs again ). Last day hiking out (even less fun than hiking in... feet were killing me, mountain biking doesn't prepare your feet for hiking very well!). Even though I really enjoyed the trip, I somehow didn't get around to hitting the high peaks again until this year.

Two weeks ago I went up to Elk Lake again with some friends from Syracuse and Rome, we climbed Macomb, South Dix, and East Dix. It was a great day, even after spending 3 hours bushwhacking down Lillian Brook. I did the math and realized that I had 8 of the 46 down.

Last weekend was my 10th wedding anniversary, I had plans to take my wife out to the House of Blues in Chicago for some good times and great music (a great hotel in our favorite city). I talked to Jen and she said "Why don't we go spend the weekend in a cabin in the Adirondacks instead. That was a good reminder of why I'm so crazy about her, and so Thursday we drove up to my Aunt's place at Lake Ozonia. Also, she'd listened to us yapping about how great the hike up Macomb was and she wanted to try it out... so last Friday we blew a wad of money getting her outfitted at the EMS in Placid and Saturday we hit Cascade and Porter. Needless to say, all it took was the view from the knob about 2/3's up Cascade and she was hooked, that and the abundance of plant life... out of about 70 pictures she took, probably 40 were of Mushrooms and Fungi, and I think she's identified over a dozen unique species so far from the images.

So then there's this weekend, my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, a whole crowd of us) are heading up to Wanakena for an annual camping trip, so Jen and I are going to take our two boys up Bear mountain (just outside Cranberry) on Saturday, then on Sunday the two of us are going to climb Street and Nye (looks like a good next step from Cascade/Porter for Jen, longer but not much more climbing wise... plus "trailless" so she can say she's done one of those).

Anyway... now that I've got a couple of hiking partners hopefully I can put a serious dent in the 46 over the next year or so.
Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #78
jcmpt

I was scanning the web for advice on high peak trails, and I came across you nutty bunch! A sense of humor is always welcome... I'm Janice, a physical therapist (ortho and sports) from the hudson valley area. I'm a competitive runner by nature, and an avid hiker for fun(?). I usually seek out the major altitude stuff (without having to use climbing equipment), generally out west.
I am also new to the snowshoe racing scene (if you haven't tried, it's to die for - literally!)
I try and work as little as possible (usually a per diem schedule) so I can do any kind of outdoor fun stuff.
jcmpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:58 AM   #79
Waylaid Wanderer

Hello, and what a pleasure it is to be here!

I wasn't registered as a member to this forum for more than a day before I was welcomed, and I do appreciate that.

Be forewarned. This post is a bit lengthy, not by design but by an unintended willingness to divulge more of myself than I probably should have, probably due to the late hour.

Well now, a little about myself, eh? Hi, my name is John. I am a 31 year old DME (Durable Medical Equipment, that's wheelchairs and hospital beds and the like) Technician, and just moved into the Capital Region from Hollywood, Florida(East Coast, north of Miami). I followed Hurricane Charlie up. Witnessing the destruction to the rural towns and suburbs along the Fla Turnpike just south of Orlando simply reinforced my decision to leave. Steel overhanging roadsigns tossed about like some toddler's playthings, bill boards snapped like matchsticks, open roofs and fallen walls, it was awesome and humbling. Nature, in it's fury or beauty, tends to be, but I don't have to tell you all that. I do not envy those people I left behind.

I grew up in New York, at the southwestern tip of Albany County. Though I did some fishing with my father now and again, I never really got the hiking "bug". All through high school, I only embarked on one camping trip, and it was a bushwhack with a couple of friends thinking ourselves adventurous. Obviously, we were unprepared, got lost, emerged from the woods a day later on a road only a few miles away from where we had departed, and hitched a ride home. Not very impressive, I know. And that would have been the extent of my hiking days, if not for a strange turn of events.

I spent a year at SUNY Cobleskill as a BioTech Major, and then had the sudden realization that splitting genes wasn't for me. No, I wanted to be a writer. I needed a change of atmosphere, something new, something different(reality had taken a little vacation at this point). So it was then that I agreed to move down to South Florida for a time, get my feet under me, experience life, get an English degree, and start writing. This turned out to be the overwhelming blunder of my simple nondescript life, made so by a remarkable series of non-decisions and choices based on personal security designed to avoid any manifestation of change. I ended up spending a year at a Community College, failing to achieve a degree(6 Credits Short), and the better part of 10 years working for my parents in their DME(Durable Medical Equipment) business as a Technician/Driver, and eventually Operations Manager. I don't resent the work. It is good, meaningful work. But it wasn't my life, it wasn't my goal. It was biding time, and keeping desperate hold of the status quo.

Luckily, I was forced to make a decision. The business was being sold. August 2003, and I was suddenly unemployed. South Florida had become a concrete wasteland to me, built upon an immense sweltering rancid bog. In my mind it was an analogy of my life, an illusion of structure and order built upon a great emptiness. And then I felt the call(dramatic, isn't it). Memories of old deciduous forests, and the rolling hills they stood upon, came to the forefront of my thoughts. I remembered standing on the shelves of rock above the swiftly flowing streams with my father, fishing for trout. It was the time I was most happy, and that's all the urging I needed. I was free to go where I would, but I only wanted to go one place. My older sister had moved back to upstate New York, and started a family there. She had placed an open invitation, and I took her up on it. When I made that decision, my desire to be in the wilderness grew tenfold. I needed to make a little money before the move, so it was not happening immediately. I went to the Everglades(that immense sweltering rancid bog I spoke of earlier) and walked a few trails through some hammoks(small islands in the river of grass which have stable enough ground for trees to root). It was a poor substitute for the mountains, but not nearly half as bad as I imagined. I did some kayaking in the Keys, meandering through mangrove caves, the canopies of which were so dense as to cast everything in deep brown and green. A sense of solitude was strong in those places, but merely shadow of the peace I had felt in an earlier life.

And so, a year later, and here I am. Unemployed, yet again, I arrived at my sister's on the 25th of August, perhaps a new birthday for me. First thing, after unpacking, and getting my younger brother settled in the College of St. Rose, I went to my local bookstore, a small independent shop I will likely be frequenting a lot, and happened upon Barbara McMartin's "Discover the Adirondacks" series. I didn't have the money to buy a lot of gear, so, instead, I decided to make a quick trip to Kane Mountain last Saturday. I called my brother, he agreed, being the naturalist he is, and off we went. I don't have to tell you, or perhaps I do, but the view from that firetower, well, it was enough to become inspired, and that is not an easy thing for me. So, we went down 29A the 10 miles to the Powley-Piseco Road, drove up and back, making note of the campsites and pull-offs, and then got lost(purposefully) for a few hours. It ended with us agreeing that every other Saturday we would go out to explore the Adirondacks a bit more, alternating the planning of the trips between us. The off weekends I will be going solo, and finding more than the hidden valleys and rolling peaks in the Southern Adirondacks(until I'm comfortable, and in shape, I will be keeping to the southern reaches, those closest to where I am).

Reading the previous posts in this thread, I have to admit, you all have admirable qualities, to the last. I'm coming to this a bit late in the game, and am barely an amateur, and that's being kind. But I have the desire and the will, so, in time, may our paths cross and our meeting be a good one.

Take Care and Be Well,
John

Barbara McMartin
Discover the Southern Central Adirondacks
Waylaid Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #80
whcobbs

Introducing myself:
Retired physician age 58, grew up on the Niagara Frontier, now living in the Philadelphia area. Lifelong hiker, but discovered the DAKS only five years ago, hiking the Northville-Placid Trail. In recent years attracted to light weight backpacking and winter camping. I plan to do a winter snowshoe/ski thru-hike of the N-P Trail.

Walt
whcobbs is offline   Reply With Quote