Lean-To at Roaring Brook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean-To at Roaring Brook?

I was wondering if there is a lean-to at Roaring Brook Falls? I've read some posts that talk about a "haunted" lean-to close to the falls but I don't see the icon on the map. I will be arriving about 1am and wanted to stay at a lean-to that is close to Rt. 73.
    Last edited by Bucknut; 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM.
    "Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
    Seeking grace in every step he takes
    His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
    The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

No lean-to, just campsites as far as I know.

Comment

That's what I thought. Thanks Jan!

Comment

There was a thread on this a while back...

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...hlight=haunted
        “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

There is a lean-to off Giant going towards roaring brook as far as I know. When I hiked Giant a couple weeks ago there was a sign I believe just after the wash bowl pointing to a lean-to. I never actually saw the lean-to with my own two eyes.
          Last edited by ADKian; 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Giant Mtn. Lean-to

There is no NYS lean-to located on either the Roaring Brook Falls trail, (NY-73) or the Ridge trail, (NY-73) to Giant. However, there is one NYS lean-to located off of the North trail, (Green Mtn.) from NY-9N.

You may have seen a sign with a designated campsite marker directing you to the remote, DEC designated campsites.

Further information can be found in the DEC's Giant Mountain Wilderness Area UMP (2003).

Comment

Originally posted by Sn.Forester View Post
              There is no NYS lean-to located on either the Roaring Brook Falls trail, (NY-73) or the Ridge trail, (NY-73) to Giant. However, there is one NYS lean-to located off of the North trail, (Green Mtn.) from NY-9N.

You may have seen a sign with a designated campsite marker directing you to the remote, DEC designated campsites.

Further information can be found in the DEC's Giant Mountain Wilderness Area UMP (2003).
              No I am 100% sure it said lean-to

Edit: I just found this on a web site. If you scroll down it shows 1 lean-to for Giant Mountain. http://www.cnyhiking.com/AdirondackLeanTos.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ADKian View Post
                No I am 100% sure it said lean-to

Edit: I just found this on a web site. If you scroll down it shows 1 lean-to for Giant Mountain. http://www.cnyhiking.com/AdirondackLeanTos.htm
                For some reason, I have never been to Roaring Brook Falls. I'm not sure what sign you saw, but the web site you mentioned states one lean-to on Giant Mt. That is, no doubt, the one on the north trail, as mentioned by Sn.Forester. I know that one exists, as I have been there.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
                  For some reason, I have never been to Roaring Brook Falls. I'm not sure what sign you saw, but the web site you mentioned states one lean-to on Giant Mt. That is, no doubt, the one on the north trail, as mentioned by Sn.Forester. I know that one exists, as I have been there.

Dick
                  I didn't go to roaring brook or down the north trail, just thought it said the lean-to and roaring brook were down that same trail? It was one of the signs telling you where and how far everything is when the trail splits. Either way the lean-to isn't right off Rt.73 any way. It's a ways in.

Comment

Thanks for the the insight from all! Sounds like I will pitch a tent at the campsite located on the W side of Chapel Pond.

Bucknut

Comment

I remember walking down to the falls after camping higher up the Giant Mountain trail on the way back to the parking lot and don't remember seeing a lean-to. I would plan on bringing a tent.

Comment

There is only one lean-to in that area. It is on the N side of the mountain, on the trail to Giant which starts from route 9N, a few miles past owl's head and past the overlook, high bank.
                        High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 29/46 (2nd); 11/46 (3rd); 7/46 (4th) Winter: 7/46 (1st); 1/46 (2nd)

The other 56: Summer: 55/56 (1st); 12/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 3/56 (4th) Winter: 13/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (0/56)

Comment

Working...
                        X