Panther Mtn. Near Tupper Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther Mtn. Near Tupper Lake

We are staying at Rollins Pond in 2 weeks....I noticed there is Panther Mnt. just off Rt. 3 near Tupper Lake....I have never hiked/climbed a mountain before....Would Panther Mtn. be OK for me to give hiking/climbing a try?

I'm 40 and in decent shape if that helps any....I've got no hiking/climbing gear, but I could easily outfit myself with a basic day hike gear bag if needed.

Any advice appreciated as I have no i-deer what I would be getting into.

Thanks,

Phil
    Paddle Faster!!! I hear banjo music.....

We did Panther about 2 years ago with a 1 year old no problem. The parking is on the other side of rte 3 from the trail head (trail head on north side, parking on south). I believe it is just about 1 mile in length (0.8 to 1.2 anyhow, can't remember exactly). It's an easy climb and you should have no trouble. It has a few nice spots to stop and relax on the way up if necessary. The views are just o.k., but it only took us about 30-45 minutes to get up so it was well worth it.
    sigpic

Comment

You should have no problem. It is a very good first mountain hike. Just pace yourself and bring water. It is not that far(less than a mile to the top). Enjoy-it will probably wet your appetite for some further more strenuous mountain hikes!!! On a dry summer day you could do it in low trail shoes or even sneakers( not that I recommend sneakers, just that I wouldn't go out and buy anything special just for that one hike-if you enjoy it and plan to do more than think about a nice pair of boots.

Comment

I climbed it a couple times last summer with my kids. It's a nice short hike. I don't think there was any scrambling over boulders and rocks and such. Watch out when crossing Rt. 3 from the parking area to the trailhead. Traffic can be scary. We'll be at Rollins in 2 weeks as well!

Comment

I just climbed Panther with my kids and all it required was sneakers, water, a few snacks, and a beautiful afternoon.

Comment

Panther is a good first mountain. You will want to do more during your two weeks so check out St Regis Mt up by Paul Smiths, beautiful views, and Ampersand just south of Upper Saranac Lake, both even closer drives than Panther. Both are longer hikes but will only take a few hours. Light hikers are fine , and yes even sneakers will work.
            Many go light hikers use trail runner running shoes, they have a stiffer shank and more torsional regidity than regular sneakers and even some trail shoes. And you can use tham for everyday casual shoes as well.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
            Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

Panther is easy with nothing difficult on the way up.Another option that can be done in the same day is Arab Mt back towards Cranberry Lake. A couple of excellent views without climbing the tower,better if you do climb it.These are just 2 smaller mountains in the area.St Regis and Floodwood are 2 other nice mountains to try but St.Regis will require considerably more effort as it is steeper at the top and over 6 miles RT.Have fun and write a trip report.I have not been to Rollins in a couple of years and miss it.What site# are you on?

Comment

Working...
              X